Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why so few tickets sold V Charlton?

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Bear in mind though, that by the time you have bought your match ticket, added in what you will pay for food/drinks etc. during your day out, that the travel saving between Haywards Heath and Falmer is only going to be fairly negligable.

It's Still £6.80 off your match ticket which brings it down to £25.20 for the North, South West & WSU wings. As [MENTION=1155]ozzygull[/MENTION] already pointed out, bring food with you if it helps.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ha, no. I had to give the second one up. I used it for friends etc. but it was still costing me quite a lot to keep two season tickets on the go! Can't complain about my seat - front row and on the aisle, one of the best views in the stadium, but sometimes wish I was a bit closer to the action. It's also a bit too quiet in ESU for my liking (was amazed when leaving the stand on Saturday people were actually singing 'We're top of the league'!).

:)

Yes it can be quiet ...but like u I've got a good view and made some friends ..and meet Simmo off here at half time ..so while I can afford it I'll stay put

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yes, being in the WSU would be fine, if the club gave out free binoculars with every ticket. Many of my Withdean cronies ended up there, but my old eyes can't cope with the distance from the pitch.
i can't see which player scores but it's great to see the plays from the WSU however it's nice and dry and saves going to the gym:facepalm:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Bear in mind though, that by the time you have bought your match ticket, added in what you will pay for food/drinks etc. during your day out, that the travel saving between Haywards Heath and Falmer is only going to be fairly negligable.

Slightly stilted argument, if I may say so. You do not HAVE to pay for drinks etc - I bring some sarnies for the train and I might have a beer or two on the concourse, but that is my choice. It is quite possible to use your voucher, thus making the ticket seem cheaper, and pay for nothing else. North Stand Seat for Cat A on Saturday is £32.00, minus say £7.00 return train fare -that does not seem to be quite so bad. Other games are cheaper.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did many non-STHs on here take up the flexi 4 pack offer? £100 for 4 games over the season seemed like a good deal for any fan that can't commit to attend every other week, particularly if you combine it with other offers, such as the STH friends £10 offer for Cardiff (which is supposed to be repeating for Sheff Weds).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Doesn't seem that there is a lot of argument that high matchday prices against a very poor side, with historically poor away following, is a disincentive for people to go. £42 is just ridiculous.

But the greed that inspires the charging of high prices also works against the club in that other revenue streams will be negatively impacted.

If you can't attract fans to a match because of the farcical pricing structure then those fans don't buy victuals, they don't make purchases from the club shop etc etc.

Charge a sensible price >> more people turn up to spend money on the extras.

Charge a sensible price >> those fans will keep coming back

And I know many won't like it but to be fair to DR/PPF he has been making the point about how many fans are now being priced out of the market for a very long time.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Doesn't seem that there is a lot of argument that high matchday prices against a very poor side, with historically poor away following, is a disincentive for people to go. £42 is just ridiculous.

But the greed that inspires the charging of high prices also works against the club in that other revenue streams will be negatively impacted.

If you can't attract fans to a match because of the farcical pricing structure then those fans don't buy victuals, they don't make purchases from the club shop etc etc.

Charge a sensible price >> more people turn up to spend money on the extras.

Charge a sensible price >> those fans will keep coming back

And I know many won't like it but to be fair to DR/PPF he has been making the point about how many fans are now being priced out of the market for a very long time.

I fully see what you are saying about negative income streams and yes, if many folk feel that it is too pricey, or say it is, then with anything else, they vote with their feet. I would, however, question your logic to a small extent - if we charge a "sensible price", whatever that might eventually be, and people thus spend money on the extras, then it follows that they actually had the cash for a more expensive ticket. I am NOT trying to be clever dick, honestly, just that it is easy to say one is priced out. Of course for some folk this may be true, but I wonder how many will actually not be priced out next year when/if the top teams appear.
I think I started the figure of £42,00 as this is what it costs in ESU, and granted it does seem a lot, but there are cheaper options - £32.00 elsewhere, plus the bonus of subsidised travel.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

He's also been making a point that football hooligans are salt of the earth types who help little old ladies across the road and don't harm women, kids or scarfers for a very long time.

I don't think the club has the pricing quite right, but they've not set out to be the cheapest. We are watching the game with a great view (remind yourself of that when we are at Loftus Road in a few weeks), subsidised travel, decent all round facilities and that comes at a price.

Issues such as the booking fee and variable pricing based on geography rather than the quality of the opposition are very irritating though, and a bit of an own goal IMO.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What's in it for the sponsor though?

Who wants to pay £2 million for the right to give free travel to a bunch of football fans?

If you do know someone for heaven's sake put them in contact with the club.
Why on earth would you make this part of the planning permission?
Why can't fans pay for their own tickets and the station boffins draw up a fast way of fans getting through barriers ?
I find it hard to believe the club are stuck forever losing £2 million a season because it was part of the planning permission.
The fans are the customers of the railway ways and it's the job of the railway boffins to find a solution rather than milk the club for £2 million every year.

Doesn't seem right or fair to be lumbered with a huge bill like that:nono:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Where does this £2m come from? It's not a figure I can recall ever being disclosed by the club.

I wouldn't have thought the net cost to the club is anything like that now, but I could be wrong.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Where does this £2m come from? It's not a figure I can recall ever being disclosed by the club.

I wouldn't have thought the net cost to the club is anything like that now, but I could be wrong.
Had a discussion on here about 2/3 years ago and the figures were worked out between crowd averages and the complete fee the club pay per season to the railways.
It was just over a 2 million loss then :)
Could be different now,but would be interested to find out again :)

Jan 30, 2008
But it isn't premiership ready pricing, prices will go up markedly if/when we reach the Premier League, and the club realise that when we do get there, there will be more than enough fans willing to pay the newly inflated prices.
HA HA yep they're all sat at home chomping at the bit as we speak ???
regards
DR

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

In the first season they had the travel vouchers that paid a percentage of the travel cost.
From those two numbers one could guess the total cost of travel to the club.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think that they've got the pricing spot on. One off games aren't cheap, but this encourages people to buy season tickets. 20K renewals after a shitfest of a season can't be argued with.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyway, I reckon the gate on Saturday will be just under 25,000 - which despite leaving 5-6,000 empty seats is still not too shabby.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Two suggestions-

1. The club apply to the council to have the transport subsidy requirement removed. If this is refused go to appeal. It must be an almost unique arrangement in the country and may be unlikely to stand up to scrutiny at appeal.

2. Stop categorising Championship games. It would make sense in the Prem but makes no sense in the Championship.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here