Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What part of "That's the deal , no more negotiating it" don't you understand? That IS it. The EU are prepared for No Deal, they don't need us. They never did.

Europe have had enough, Brexit is troublesome but there are more important issues in the world than our internal tantrums.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
ECJ ruling this morning ref art. 50...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 98

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Good. Withdraw it straight away to take the pressure of this ridiculous situation the Tories have got us in. May's plan gets voted down in Parliament go back to people with No Deal explained thoroughly (negatives and positives), May's deal explained thoroughly (n&p) and Remain as the three options.

Sorted.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
What part of "That's the deal , no more negotiating it" don't you understand? That IS it. The EU are prepared for No Deal, they don't need us. They never did.

I do think you are correct just a quick look at Reuters news headlines for France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy none of them show any intrest in discussing Brexit they have all moved on.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The full press release:

[tweet]1069871493960663041[/tweet]

https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2018-12/cp180187en.pdf

Article 50 TEU allows the unilateral revocation of the notification of the intention to withdraw from the EU, until such time as the withdrawal agreement is formally concluded, provided that the revocation has been decided upon in accordance with the Member State’s constitutional requirements, is formally notified to the European Council and does not involve an abusive practice.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
ECJ ruling this morning ref art. 50...
That is NOT the court ruling.

It is the recommendation to the court.

Anyway, it is of NO value if the *bloody difficult woman* keeps steaming full speed ahead to *no deal*.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I do think you are correct just a quick look at Reuters news headlines for France, Germany, Holland, Spain, Italy none of them show any intrest in discussing Brexit they have all moved on.

It's only regular headline news in The Republic of Ireland. Although Brexit will hurt them nearly as much economically, logistically etc as us and obviously the issues surrounding the border with NI are of paramount importance, modern news is as much about being entertaining as it is being informative and frankly for the Irish observing the British state, with the English holding the gun, shooting themselves in the foot on the world stage is a very good watch.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Anyway, it is of NO value if the *bloody difficult woman* keeps steaming full speed ahead to *no deal*.

The reasoning given for the recommendation does seem to make perfect sense though, the interesting bit for me is the time limit for revocation, it creates another grey area, if for any reason we ask for an extension to Article 50 negotiations beyond the 2 years, it is not clear we would be able to revoke unilaterally once in that extension period.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The reasoning given for the recommendation does seem to make perfect sense though, the interesting bit for me is the time limit for revocation, it creates another grey area, if for any reason we ask for an extension to Article 50 negotiations beyond the 2 years, it is not clear we would be able to revoke unilaterally once in that extension period.

Assuming The ECJ follow the advice, it's also got to go back to whence it came at The Court of Session in Edinburgh for a final ruling.

"The English ruled the Empire, but the Scots ran it" as someone once said. How apt.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

You just get the feeling she will try and run down the clock to create market panic and hope the MP's capitulate. Then what, a minority government even more rudderless than now.

The kids have set the house alight and hidden the key, and the grown ups are locked outside

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Good. Withdraw it straight away to take the pressure of this ridiculous situation the Tories have got us in. May's plan gets voted down in Parliament go back to people with No Deal explained thoroughly (negatives and positives), May's deal explained thoroughly (n&p) and Remain as the three options.

Sorted.
Far too logical, simple and intelligent.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

This is obviously the way things SHOULD go.

You just get the feeling she will try and run down the clock to create market panic and hope the MP's capitulate. Then what, a minority government even more rudderless than now.

And this, the way, I expect that they will.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Sorted.

Sadly, that is an open goal for Putin and other malign foreign actors to launch another information warfare attack on our country to cause immense harm to us.

*No deal* must not be on any ballot for the sake of our futute.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Unfortunately he's doing a Melanie Phillips and leaving the DM for The Times though.:rolleyes:

He will surely improve the standard of Brexit writing in the paper. Melanie Phillips, like Tim Montgomerie and others, is just a saloon bar shouter. I always read the Leavers with the most open mind I can muster but mostly they just repeat the old cliches ("remoaners call us thick and old") vague stereotyping ("...they're members of the metropolitan elite"), misleading 'jokes' (''better make it best of three referendums then... arf arf arf") and assorted urban myths ("it's the EU way - keep asking until we give the right answer").

It's like reading the usual suspects on NSC sometimes.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Sadly, that is an open goal for Putin and other malign foreign actors to launch another information warfare attack on our country to cause immense harm to us.

*No deal* must not be on any ballot for the sake of our futute.

So you're suggesting that any further referendum has it's options reduced to only favour remain options ? If no deal is being removed then as a leaver I want remain removed as an option - we've already decided as a country we don't want to remian and so the question shouldn't be asked again.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Individuals may have said this but the EU as an institution has not officially closed negotiations. The commission can as a body submit recommendations during the Article 50 period. Its not really over negotiating wise from a EU standpoint until the European Council concludes matters and says it is.

That's clearly correct. I do wonder if some face-saving crumb wasn't offered to May two weeks ago, to be activated if the House voted No on the 11th.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So you're suggesting that any further referendum has it's options reduced to only favour remain options ? If no deal is being removed then as a leaver I want remain removed as an option - we've already decided as a country we don't want to remian and so the question shouldn't be asked again.
I'm simply saying that because *no deal* causes such immense harm to our country, and because we haven't found a defence against malign foreign information warfare attacks on the minds of our people, then we remove any target outcome for such attacks.

By all means have whatever other options on any ballot.

I reckon Norway++ is a fine candidate as an option which ticks the box of leaving the EU ( as does DisMay's Dodgy Deal in fact ).

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm simply saying that because *no deal* causes such immense harm to our country, and because we haven't found a defence against malign foreign information warfare attacks on the minds of our people, then we remove any target outcome for such attacks.

By all means have whatever other options on any ballot.

I reckon Norway++ is a fine candidate as an option which ticks the box of leaving the EU ( as does DisMay's Dodgy Deal in fact ).

I think you may be worrying a little too much.

I've been checking all the bookmakers for a while trying to find a company that will give me any odds on 'no deal' not happening. Can't seem to find any :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here