Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Do You Dine on Swine? Do You Dig the Pig?

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
26 years ago, at Eccleshall Road Butchers in Sheffield, I had the best pork sandwich ever. Until today at The Piggery in Broadwater when a Porcine Epiphany occurred. The Hog Roast Bap is a thing to behold. Lovely soft bread, pulled slow roast pork, crunchy crackling, stuffing, apple sauce, gravy, £4.50.

My life is complete.

Anyone else have a tasty pork story, or a culinary epiphany to share?

Well if you are prepared to go to Sheffield to get the 2nd best pork roll in England, then you should pop by Worcester and get the best there is. Anywhere

https://www.tripadvisor.co.za/Restaurant_Review-g186424-d4861338-Reviews-Scoff_s-Worcester_Worcestershire_England.html

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=scoffs+worcester&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB811GB811&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjr0qrH6pbeAhVoL8AKHYmfBR0Q_AUIDigB&biw=1920&bih=938#imgrc=pN7XSi_vkFDNKM:

They erm, well I dont think they can be beaten. The new person at work doesn't make the coffee here. Your induction at most company is the Scoffs hot pork roll run on a Friday lunchtime. 7 mile round trip almost at one place I worked back in the day. Parking is a bitch and how quickly you get back/how hot they are defines your career. Its always been that way. The pig was actually invented here

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think those signs are more about the Wednesday/United thing of calling each other pigs. [emoji23]

You're right though, you can get some superb pork sandwiches in Sheffield.

And in Rotherham. We had hot pork sandwiches the day I was taken to meet the family! Delicious.
My other half cannot stand apple sauce with pork either.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Gammon joint was made for Cauliflower cheese or cheesy leaks, add new potatoes or roast potatoes.

Smoky Bacon, Snausages, black pudding, love all these.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Got a gammon joint in salting for tonight’s roast. That’ll be with cauliflower and broccoli and leek cheese, carrots, red cabbage and roast spuds. The gammon itself will be roasted with a whole grain mustard and balsamic topping. Gonna eat well tonight.

Somedoby asked about the coke and pork thing. It’s okay but a bit of a commoners trick. There are so many nicer ways to cook pork.

Having said that, I like gammon, sausages and bacon but not pork in itself. Very hard to get it right and most don’t.

Last edited:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Pork is such an underestimated and oft unfairly maligned (for religious purposes) meat. Cooked well it is beyond doubt the best and most flavoursome meat. I love four day marinated (in five spice, garlic, ginger, rice wine, lemon and soy sauce) pork belly , slow cooked for 5 hours at 130 deg C then 1/2 hour at 190 deg C (fan) to crisp the crackling. I suspend the pork on a wire tray above the pan so it sheds the fat. Result is the most succulent easy to eat tasty Chinese pork, superb with noodles and stir fry vegetables in a stir fry!

Ooh I have come over all esurient !

No matter stout yeoman!

TNBA

TTF

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I cook, well smoke, a rather fabulous lockheart pork chop rack. Loin of pork, on the bone, with the chine bone removed by the butcher. Brine it for a couple of days, then slather and coat with a rub of salt, ground pepper, garlic granules, Demerara sugar and gochujang chilli flakes, then onto the smoker for around 6-8 hours, low and slow. After standing for an hour or so the knife goes through the chops like the proverbial hot knife through butter, and you have the most tender, awesome, fabulous pork chop. I’m not saying it’s the most tender and succulent pork you’ve ever eaten, but it probably is. Sorry veggies, and vegans, but there you go.

This is going in my Weber smoker soon! What measurements on the spices ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
This is going in my Weber smoker soon! What measurements on the spices ?

The mix I make is:
40g coaster ground black pepper
40g salt
40g demerara sugar
10g gochujang chilli flakes.
3g hot chilli powder (cayenne)
5g garlic powder

And when you apply it, don’t be shy, completely cover the entire joint, I use a slather of frenches American mustard (as it is largely tasteless) it works as a glue to keep the rub stuck on it, and it doesn’t leave any residual flavour.

Good luck with it, it really is superb. I try and keep the bbq around 90-100 degrees.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here