Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 40 years ago today: The charter train to Burnley (FLC3)

A year ago I was all set to do a 'charter train to Sunderland' thread, but the anniversary came and went (despite diarising it), so now I'll have to wait another 9 years to do it :rant:

This trip had several memorable events, which I hope you can add to, expand on or even correct. It was one of those excursions that included the team, so we arrived fairly early in the afternoon and were greeted by the local police chief who informed us that the town was shut, and if we wanted to go to the cinema we'd have to travel to Accrington! Half-day closing seemed strictly adhered to oop North in those days, and the town centre resembled a ghost town. I don't recall even national chains (Woolies, C&A etc) being open, although I can't actually remember how I spent the afternoon. The bright point in the gloom was the fact that the pubs opened at 5.30pm, a full hour (I think) than they did in Worthing (I'm sure BG will be able to confirm this). I was a little taken aback by the hostile attitude of the young barman who served us, but I don't remember any other hassles. That is from the locals, because I have this memory of a charter train calling at Crewe on the return where the British Transport Police were summoned to remove an Albion fan. I'm not certain it was this trip, but I think we had one arrested during the day and (presumably through drink) was also causing trouble on the train.The BTP informed Stavros (or whoever was managing the train) that they didn't have the power to take him off; I expect this was because it was a private excursion. The person in question was a friend of a friend, but I won't name him because I'm sure he must be a perfectly reformed character by now so we don't want any current prospects that he may have being ruined by an internet search! However, for those of you familiar with the Clifton mob from Worthing, his name rhymed with Bill Pavey :)
I have no idea how I got home because the train couldn't possibly have arrived before the last train to West Worthing, which I think was never later than 01:32.
'BrunLea' were also in the Second Division, but we led 1-0 at HT and cruised through the tie (IIRC), 3-1. The team and scorers that night:
Steele, Cattlin, Williams, Nobby, Rollings, Lawro, Sayer, Wardy(2), Maybank(1), Clark, Sully. Att. 9056

This was the last match that I can remember us being allowed to take pints of beer onto the terraces.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A year ago I was all set to do a 'charter train to Sunderland' thread, but the anniversary came and went (despite diarising it), so now I'll have to wait another 9 years to do it :rant:..............................

........................This was the last match that I can remember us being allowed to take pints of beer onto the terraces.

Ah....proper football.....!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Should have done the Sunderland game as i was on that one! Think it was 2-0 and took us to the top of table on for us to lose to Charlton away on the Tuesday 4-3.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Should have done the Sunderland game as i was on that one! Think it was 2-0 and took us to the top of table on for us to lose to Charlton away on the Tuesday 4-3.
Yes, I was there too. The Sunderland fans weren’t happy, and it was a very uncomfortable walk/run back to the station.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

I was at the Charlton game. On the big bank a guy who I will not name but his surname rhymed with Myrtle was raising a posse to go visit the locals at the other end....

Quite lively after the game...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I was at the Charlton game. On the big bank a guy who I will not name but his surname rhymed with Myrtle was raising a posse to go visit the locals at the other end....

I was at that Charlton game as well. I can't remember too much - except there was a penalty incident, the Valley terrace was indeed massive, and there were a lot of beards in the Charlton forward line. Wasn't it the era of Derek Hales and the other chap. Charlton did not seem the friendly club they are today - that's for sure.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

First name M?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
The 'Seagull Special' train. I'm glad you mentioned Stravros, we had a promotion party at the Hassocks Hotel in 1979 and invited him to come. Soaked him in champagne and ruined his suit. I guess all these years later he is no longer with us, anyone know?
Also, is there any film of the train anywhere?

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Regarding film - I've searched long and hard for some. I remember seeing footage many years ago on TV of a 'Seagulls Special' pulling out of Gatwick Airport, heading north, the diesel engine on the front complete with the headboard, but can I find it? Can I heck! A shame, as those trains were an integral part of the club at that time, with players and supporters travelling together (well, in separate coaches) to away games. If we won, then Alan Mullery would let the players drink and come back down the train to mingle with us. It should be said, however, that the Specials actually started during the 1975/76 campaign when Peter Taylor was still in charge, the season when things really started bubbling at the Albion.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hark (us) at you..I could not possible comment from Balfour Road.

That’s it. Innocently went to Palace with him on the train once. Who’s going in their end? he asked. Why?, I said.

I grew up that day!
Is he still around?

Last edited:

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
When I got back to Euston on Saturday on the way back from Manchester I noticed a Charter Train on the departure board, could that have been for Liverpool fans on their way back from Chelsea?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Ah those were the days, my first trip to Turf Moor, travelled regularly on the Seagulls Special very rarely missing a trip. Sunderland away winning 2-0 was great, I remember no segregation, but didn't have any issues with the locals. Met a couple from Rotherham who were Albion fans.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
A year ago I was all set to do a 'charter train to Sunderland' thread, but the anniversary came and went (despite diarising it), so now I'll have to wait another 9 years to do it :rant:

This trip had several memorable events, which I hope you can add to, expand on or even correct. It was one of those excursions that included the team, so we arrived fairly early in the afternoon and were greeted by the local police chief who informed us that the town was shut, and if we wanted to go to the cinema we'd have to travel to Accrington! Half-day closing seemed strictly adhered to oop North in those days, and the town centre resembled a ghost town. I don't recall even national chains (Woolies, C&A etc) being open, although I can't actually remember how I spent the afternoon. The bright point in the gloom was the fact that the pubs opened at 5.30pm, a full hour (I think) than they did in Worthing (I'm sure BG will be able to confirm this). I was a little taken aback by the hostile attitude of the young barman who served us, but I don't remember any other hassles. That is from the locals, because I have this memory of a charter train calling at Crewe on the return where the British Transport Police were summoned to remove an Albion fan. I'm not certain it was this trip, but I think we had one arrested during the day and (presumably through drink) was also causing trouble on the train.The BTP informed Stavros (or whoever was managing the train) that they didn't have the power to take him off; I expect this was because it was a private excursion. The person in question was a friend of a friend, but I won't name him because I'm sure he must be a perfectly reformed character by now so we don't want any current prospects that he may have being ruined by an internet search! However, for those of you familiar with the Clifton mob from Worthing, his name rhymed with Bill Pavey :)
I have no idea how I got home because the train couldn't possibly have arrived before the last train to West Worthing, which I think was never later than 01:32.
'BrunLea' were also in the Second Division, but we led 1-0 at HT and cruised through the tie (IIRC), 3-1. The team and scorers that night:
Steele, Cattlin, Williams, Nobby, Rollings, Lawro, Sayer, Wardy(2), Maybank(1), Clark, Sully. Att. 9056

This was the last match that I can remember us being allowed to take pints of beer onto the terraces.

That night, the strike partnership of Ward and Maybank was one of the best that I had ever seen for the Albion (yes, really, Maybank was good that night), and we played some excellent football as a team.
A couple of weeks we went back there in the League and were awful. Lost 3-0.
Either that League game, or the one the season before, was one where the team coach arrived at the ground empty apart from the kit and a couple of support staff.
Mullery used to have a habit of kicking the players off the coach on the way to the ground and making them walk the last half a mile of so to the ground. That was about the only real pre-match warm up the players had in those days!
(Perhaps the United team should have done the same the other night)

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Steve Piper scored. Huge statement by the Albion back in the day.

In terms of progressive Albion 'highs', at that time it was as good as it had ever got.
Little ol' Brighton top of the second tier ('second division' in those days) - our highest ever League position up until then!
Drove back to Manchester in a daze, and still have a newspaper cutting with the league table with us on top. I had got a comp from Steve Piper, and ended up sitting next to 'Tug' Winstanley's mum. Fortunately he had a good game and Pipes scored!

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
I do seem to remember going to Burnley midweek and getting there only to be told Burnley was shut because of the Blackburn Market. And yes, I also remember going to the cinema, but I don't remember it being in Accrington or what we watched, although I do remember the train going over that huge bridge and looking down on Accrington before arriving in Burnley. Was this the night when we were confronted by Burnley's firm who were blocking the entrance to the footbridge back to the station and we chased them off?
I also remember going to Burnley on a Saturday game to find the wrought iron railings that were there to seperate the home and away fans were missing. Apparently most of the railings had been uprooted from the concrete terrace and used as spears by the 13,000 Celtic fans who turned up for the Anglo Scottish cup in midweek.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here