Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Staying in the Prem - it's a squad game

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
My memory's obviously playing tricks on me, then. Any chance that you can elaborate on a few signings they made after the start of the season during last summer's window?

Norwood and Duffy are the obvious ones.

In contrast Huddersfield (last season) got their transfers done early.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Your team will have to work a lot harder this coming season. You won't have the ball half as much as you did in the Championship. The players you're chasing will be faster and fitter. With that exertion will come more injuries.

It's paradoxical; you need a settled, consistent 11, but players waiting in the wings, ready to slot straight in.

Fair point

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Arsenal signed Perez, Spurs signed Sissoku at the end of August. Any more ?

Gotcha, and I stand corrected. Although I'd argue that those listed by [MENTION=4290]clarkey[/MENTION] turned out to be far more influential during the season and play significantly more games. Which might be another way of saying that most top seven teams got their key signings in early, and I do appreciate that this is different from my earlier point.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What are you talking about? It's not negative - it's a point of view. "the strength of our replacements will determine the success of our season, discuss".

I agree.

Fine to discuss squad strengths and deficiencies, transfers or a lack of them, and what our competitors are up to ... prior to 1st September. These aren't taboo subjects.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Quote Originally Posted by WonderingSoton View Post
Get a first choice strike force sorted out first, then look at the depth elsewhere. 'Only as good as your strikers' and all that.

Boro had Negredo upfront, he never touched the ball. No point having a top striker if he receives zero service.

This.

Every player in our MF are capable of getting on the scoresheet regularly. Happy with progress so far. With a bit more up front we will be ok.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We will be relying on goals coming from all departments, apart from the keeper.
I think there will be another striker coming, but not just yet.
Quite a few of the Premier League clubs have released players, so there are a few with experience around that can be had on a free transfer.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Our squad lacks at least one striker of sufficient quality (a better Sam B, sorry Sam)... this needs to be addressed soonest IMHO... the new striker needs time to bed-in with our first pre-season game only just over a week away...

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
We (Newcastle) have made our first real foray into the window. Florian Lejeune, a Centre back from Eibar. Guess he'll be among 4 vying for the 2 spots with Hanley being sold back to a Championship side. Rumours he'll go to Birmingham for £5-6m now that 'Arry's missed out on Terry, but I'd be surprised if we got that much.

It's good to see someone come in fairly early intot he window and it addresses an area that Newcastle fans were concerned about. Now we need to sign a Left Back, depth in the centre, depth on the flanks, then a #10 and a striker of note. £30m in the bank from last summer, c£30m from players sales this summer, plus a commitment of £30m from Ashley should mean we can afford all that.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Have we any surprise packages who could step up from the youth or development squad or otherwise has Tony wasted his money.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Rob Hunt?
Josh Kerr?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here