Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I'm lost now?!

So Tuesday is just a reduced service not a full strike?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

As I see it...The THICKO that is Cash, wants the guards out on Monday and the small amount of drivers that are part of the RMT to strike on Tues, Wed and Thursday... Toys out of the pram!

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm lost now?!

So Tuesday is just a reduced service not a full strike?

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Reading between the lines Southern have confirmed a return to full timetable from Tuesday so it seems theyre saying the RMT members including the small number of drivers dont seem to matter

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
new Southern staff at Lewes this morning, dressed in police-style uniforms with high-viz stab jackets, nasty and aggressive stopping people without tickets. I don't blame anyone trying to bunk the train, they're over crowded, unreliable and sh*t.

Unbelievable.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
new Southern staff at Lewes this morning, dressed in police-style uniforms with high-viz stab jackets, nasty and aggressive stopping people without tickets. I don't blame anyone trying to bunk the train, they're over crowded, unreliable and sh*t.

Just proving customer service is an alien concept to Southern.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Cash a few weeks ago " Dont worry lads, wait till the drivers go out on strike....Then we will win"

Cash today "Oh ****"

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Cash a few weeks ago " Dont worry lads, wait till the drivers go out on strike....Then we will win"

Cash today "Oh ****"

Seems to be a very good example of 'be careful what you wish for'.

As soon as ASLEF got involved the RMT became unimportant

Yoda

English & European
I've been think about how the old slam doors used to operate, and how something similar, in terms of working practice, could be used as a middle ground to resolve the issue for the time being.

Think about it, the old trains didn't have ANYONE pressing a button to close the doors, but the guard would signal to the driver it was all clear to move off.

When the new 377's came into service, they kept to a similar working practice. Guard would lock the door on the carriage, press the button to close the others, release his when clear to close the last door, then ring a very similar bell to the driver to say all clear.

Compromise: Just change the order. IF Southern are true to their word and all trains will have an OBS, still have them step onto the platform to make sure it's all clear. Then just get back on and signal to the driver, using the same bell they've always done to close the doors. Driver then only has to worry about one last check on his cameras, then pulls off.

Problem solved.

(Or am I being too sensible for both the DfT, GTR, ASLEF & the RMT?)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've been think about how the old slam doors used to operate, and how something similar, in terms of working practice, could be used as a middle ground to resolve the issue for the time being.

Think about it, the old trains didn't have ANYONE pressing a button to close the doors, but the guard would signal to the driver it was all clear to move off.

When the new 377's came into service, they kept to a similar working practice. Guard would lock the door on the carriage, press the button to close the others, release his when clear to close the last door, then ring a very similar bell to the driver to say all clear.

Compromise: Just change the order. IF Southern are true to their word and all trains will have an OBS, still have them step onto the platform to make sure it's all clear. Then just get back on and signal to the driver, using the same bell they've always done to close the doors. Driver then only has to worry about one last check on his cameras, then pulls off.

Problem solved.

Used to love them.......could arrive at the station last minute and chase after the train, open the door, swing on it a couple of times as you fought to shut it before landing in a heap inside the train, before getting up, dusting yourself down and trying not to look flustered. In the meantime, a despatcher would be screaming with purple-faced rage 'STAND AWAY'

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Problem solved.

The issue is, as we see with Brighton mainline and Coastway, one small incident can blow the whole timetable apart. So when guards are all out of positions nothing runs. I kind of see it from Southerns POV that the service needs to modernise and be more tolerant to problems.

Yoda

English & European
The issue is, as we see with Brighton mainline and Coastway, one small incident can blow the whole timetable apart. So when guards are all out of positions nothing runs. I kind of see it from Southerns POV that the service needs to modernise and be more tolerant to problems.

Then also have, as has been suggested by others, both the guard & driver rostered onto the same trains for their shifts. That way, there is no train awaiting one or the other.

This and the fact that Southern's Managers idea of disaster control is to bury their heads into the sand after sticking their fingers in their ears saying "La, la, la, la, la! Nothing wrong. La, la, la!"

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Problem solved.

I think that's similar-ish to the Scotrail deal and I would be happy to accept something like that (can't speak for everyone of course). But in order to make this happen there has to be a guarantee of a second member of staff onboard and GTR (up to now) have not been willing to offer this for obvious reasons. I suspect something along those lines may be being thrashed out in the discussions although I have absolutely no clue about this at all. There is also the issue of safety critical training but that should be easily negotiated.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think that's similar-ish to the Scotrail deal and I would be happy to accept something like that (can't speak for everyone of course). But in order to make this happen there has to be a guarantee of a second member of staff onboard and GTR (up to now) have not been willing to offer this for obvious reasons. I suspect something along those lines may be being thrashed out in the discussions although I have absolutely no clue about this at all. There is also the issue of safety critical training but that should be easily negotiated.

Isn't that exactly what Southern are not prepared to do?

Its a very sensible suggestion but doesn't take away the fact that Southern want the ability to run a train with only a driver.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Then also have, as has been suggested by others, both the guard & driver rostered onto the same trains for their shifts. That way, there is no train awaiting one or the other.

its so obvious you have to wonder why it isnt/wasnt operational practice. must be some reasons. but then we'd also expect enought staff to not rely on overtime too, and thats another ancient practice.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here