Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
All the French care about is that we continue to spend money in their economy, continue to buy their cars, wines and other goods at home which we will. End of story.

"I was very happy to see that some academics and researchers in the UK because of Brexit are considering coming to France to work," Macron said.

"It will be part of my programme to be attractive for these kinds of people.

"I want banks, talents, researchers, academics and so on.

I think that France and the European Union are a very attractive space now so in my programme I will do everything I can to make it attractive and successful."

I think they have other cares on Brexit too. Would have happened anyway/price worth paying and all that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Liam Fox has accused the media of "being obsessed with safety concerns"

Jesus Christ. In the absence of the government....I'm glad someone is obsessed with the safety of the British people.

It won't be Liam that will only be able to afford chlorine washed chicken and hormone beef. America, purveyors of fine food

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I note from reading the FT today that (a) Australia and India are flexing their muscles in advance of potential new post-Brexit trade deals, (b) that UK farmers are concerned that (post-Brexit) the UK market will be flooded with cheap imports from places like the US, and (c) that consumers are concerned about having to eat chlorinated chickens and cattle pumped full of growth hormones.

It looks like, as part of a UK-Australia trade deal we will need to agree to increase pension payments to all those retired UK "ex-pats" (not immigrants, of course) down under [around 250,000 of them]. Plus, India will insist on a relaxation of the controls over their students and other nationals coming to the UK. I would imagine most other countries looking for trade deals with the UK after Brexit will insist on similar issues. The problem for us, of course, is that we have painted ourselves into a corner - once we're out of the EU our desperation for replacement trade deals will be massive. And Fox and co will give away just about anything to be able to prove his worth.

I'm sure there's another side to these stories, of course - but the FT very often gets things right!

We need to transitional deal to be as long as possible or we're going to get screwed over big time, 10 years should do it

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Someone else who will be derided as being an EU apologist because he knows what he is talking about.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices...sa-may-worse-anyone-guessed-a7858586.html?amp

Just go and get a union flag tattoo and talk positively. Sorted.

The government haven't got a clue what they've got themselves into, at last one zombie parliament maybe two..

Meanwhile, my Lib Dem MP is doing a fine job after only 6 weeks in the job. Hardly anyone in government knew what Euratom was until about 2 weeks ago until she brought it up. Already 19 questions posed in parliament, such a contrast to our unless Tory before

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Strange .... I can't see any remainers finding a negative on BMW confirming they will make the electric Mini ..... HERE .... in the UK of all places .... and after we've left. So a big German company investing in the UK.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I note from reading the FT today that .........consumers are concerned about having to eat chlorinated chickens and cattle pumped full of growth hormones.

When Fox said “the British media are obsessed with chlorine washed chickens” he is correct, they are indeed recently obsessed with it, and for that matter US synthetic hormone reared beef.
Perhaps the media should survey the 4.5 million Brits returning from the States every year and ask the meat lovers amongst them if they gave up eating beef and chicken on their US holidays due to the difference in food production. It would be a good sample size of consumers.
Perhaps then we could have an indication of people with genuine concerns of these products who actually gave up eating them while abroad against the hysterical hypocrite types who shout one thing but practice another.

D

Deleted member 22389

"I was very happy to see that some academics and researchers in the UK because of Brexit are considering coming to France to work," Macron said.

"It will be part of my programme to be attractive for these kinds of people.

"I want banks, talents, researchers, academics and so on.

I think that France and the European Union are a very attractive space now so in my programme I will do everything I can to make it attractive and successful."

I think they have other cares on Brexit too. Would have happened anyway/price worth paying and all that.

Off they trot then.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That nice Liam Fox talks a lot of sense.

More good news, not partisan opinion hard investment decision...

Electric Mini to be built in Oxford

A fully electric version of the Mini will be built at the Cowley plant near Oxford, BMW has confirmed.
BMW said that the car, which will be a variant of its existing three-door model, would go into production in 2019.
The carmaker said Oxford would be the main "production location" for the Mini three-door model.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40718892

D

Deleted member 22389

That nice Liam Fox talks a lot of sense.

More good news, not partisan opinion hard investment decision...

Electric Mini to be built in Oxford

A fully electric version of the Mini will be built at the Cowley plant near Oxford, BMW has confirmed.
BMW said that the car, which will be a variant of its existing three-door model, would go into production in 2019.
The carmaker said Oxford would be the main "production location" for the Mini three-door model.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40718892

We don't do good news remember. We are heading for WW3, London's financial centre will be become a ghost town, we will not be travelling to Europe anymore as we are not allowed too, on top of that the French will be sending over all the migrants, and don't forget the chicken from the USA.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
We don't do good news remember. We are heading for WW3, London's financial centre will be become a ghost town, we will not be travelling to Europe anymore as we are not allowed too, on top of that the French will be sending over all the migrants, and don't forget the chicken from the USA.

Fair point I apologise unreservedly. I'll go and find an article from the FT, Independent, Guardian to link instead :D:shootself

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

The public sector is either in a state of overspending, perceived efficiency or in crisis, depending where they might be at any one-time it must be exceptionally difficult.

Worth noting that in your articles the main contributor Anita Charlesworth, director of research and economics said the findings should come as a “wake up call to politicians and health service leaders'' and she went on to say “Clearly action is needed to offset any further loss of EU nursing staff in the near future. But the overall shortage of 30,000 nurses is not a shortage caused by the Brexit vote. The chronic shortage of nurses is the result of years of short-term planning and cuts to training places.”

It seems to me that we shouldnt have so much dependency on other EU nationals or those from outside of the EU within such critical sector, however that dependency has happened and a way has to be found, the aim should be to make ourselves and the NHS more self sufficient.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
beorhthelm;8035454 and while the German car manufacturers may [I said:
say [/I]the single market is more important than one market, it would be a nervous/brave company executive if they lost 10% of their sales, it would hit their bottom line considerably, and negative effect on market share they spent so much time and money building up (VAG in particular love the UK market and are predilection to buying credit)
BMW's majority shareholders have been reported as saying that they would rather write off their £2bn UK investment rather than see the single market compromised.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Speaking of toxicity I would think the German car industry has bigger issues to worry about at the moment ...

German car makers' shares crash on allegations of collusion

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/07/24/german-car-makers-shares-crash-allegations-collusion/

If proved true it suggests they are more interested in sales than protecting the integrity of the single market.
...and the possible wrongdoing is being investigated by... the European Commission.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Strange .... I can't see any remainers finding a negative on BMW confirming they will make the electric Mini ..... HERE .... in the UK of all places .... and after we've left. So a big German company investing in the UK.

I don't think there is a negative. Oxford is where most Minis are made and it makes clear sense to get that factory to install the German-made drive chains. The government may have made BMW an offer but of course it is resisting all efforts to get it to reveal its commitments to motor manufacturers so we can't be sure. But in the meantime, yes, this is a bit of good news.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't think there is a negative. Oxford is where most Minis are made and it makes clear sense to get that factory to install the German-made drive chains. The government may have made BMW an offer but of course it is resisting all efforts to get it to reveal its commitments to motor manufacturers so we can't be sure. But in the meantime, yes, this is a bit of good news.

Ian Robertson, a BMW board member and the most senior Briton in the company, has met with Business Secretary Greg Clark four times so far this year, in meetings where the Mini E is thought to have been central to discussions.

I am fairly confident that in this case 2+2 does equal 4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here