Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Spending Obscene Amounts of Money Does Not Guarantee Success

N17

Jun 21, 2011
They'll spend in the next five weeks with Levy often leaving it right to the wire. The Bale £86m in 2013 gives the overall five year credit.

True, that they have over performed compared to their spending.

I don't think we (Spurs) need to spend big. A couple of tweaks here & there. Danny Rose & Erik Lamela both missed at least half of last season through injury. They are well on their way back. Harry Winks will also be fit for the new season.

There is no point trying to compete with City, Chelsea or Man U even if we wanted to. We have a £800mn stadium to pay for.

I prefer the way we do our business although i think i am probably in a minority among Spurs fans.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Although, as has been pointed out before, the new players at Bournemouth have not contributed that much. Josh King, who was out of contract at Blackburn, has arguably been the only real success among the signings in the past two seasons.

Their teams that gained vital wins last season contained these new PL players:
Ake
Mings
Cook
Boric
Wilshire (huge wages)
Smith

True that many of their signings have failed to date, but they certainly haven't played a team anything like their promotion first eleven.

Don't get the point of discussing Man City, not our peers. We should be discussing Burnley, B'muff etc

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Thrown in the towel and the points in the first game?

I prefer to think that Man City are pooping their pants at the thought of facing the mighty Albion on the first game and going on a manic spending spree before they have to face us. But then again I'm a little bit delusional.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
A really good recruitment/scouting team with a global reach, an excellent manager capable of moulding the results into good team players and inspiring them with a determined, collective ethic and a chairman who flatly refuses to sell outstanding players developed through this system to the first oligarch who flashes his wallet is the way forward. We've got all of that.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If a genuine Albion fan came in and had a spare £300m to spend on good, well researched signings I wouldn't be complaining. Overseas investment I'd be less enthusiastic about. As TB has already given us more than enough, for now I'd be content with a team that stands a fighting chance of staying up, with enough money left for a really good Championship side if we go down. Delighted if we can better that.

The massive fee inflation this summer has underlined again just how damaging it was to miss out on the final day last year. The disparity will only get worse so thankfully we did it this time... otherwise, I'm not sure we'd ever have been able to compete with the ex-PL clubs from now on. I still think it's possible to battle it out with that lower third. There's no way most £20m signings are 4 times better than a well-researched £5m one (probably from abroad). Totally agree with Attila regarding the many things we've got going for us which shouldn't be sacrificed lightly, no matter how tempting.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I'd like to understand the reasons why hard headed businessman like Abramovich (sp?) Are willing to lose a Kings ransom with a club they have had no connection with. Have they lost their sense of finance?
Is it a tax write-off?
Is it money laundering?

I don't Know......

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
LFC have had moneyball ever since FSG took over and based on those results they are now trying to splash the cash.
Although that's down to Klopp rather to any financial plan. However, saying that it's probably down to that policy that they are developing the ground and spending money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here