Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Live Music thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
HOORAH!!! Robert Forster in September it is.

As a side note Richard Dawson and his minstrels Sunday night at the Old Market were, at times, absolutely magnificent.
****ing superb.

Robert Forster is also playing the Lexington on 18th November- part of the Tapete records weekend. Pete Astor also features. I think you can only get weekend tickets now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that if I hadn't seen Sonic Youth so many times I would have enjoyed Thurston Moore more.
Was still a cracking gig.
......but Richard Dawson ....... oh my.
Looking forwards there seeing him at The Dome/ Royal Albert Hall next time he tours.

Both were cracking gigs, by singular talents.

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
What did you think? I saw him last night at RAH.

Great voice and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed by the setlist and would have liked a few more from the early albums like Running on Empty instead of the cover versions he chose. I thought I knew a fair amount of his catalogue, but there were quite a few tracks I had not heard. Anyway, I am glad I went and he is still a legend! How did you enjoy last night?

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Great voice and I really enjoyed it. I was a bit disappointed by the setlist and would have liked a few more from the early albums like Running on Empty instead of the cover versions he chose. I thought I knew a fair amount of his catalogue, but there were quite a few tracks I had not heard. Anyway, I am glad I went and he is still a legend! How did you enjoy last night?
I was quite disappointed. There was a lack of life changing songs, and a large percentage of mediocre ones. The Zevon cover was very good, but the Randy Newman track was a complete and utter waste of time. I would have preferred 'Song for Adam' to 'Rock me on the water' and 'something fine'. When he sat down at the piano and played 'Rock me on the water', I could have wept. He could have so easily played 'Fountain of sorrow', which is probably the best song I've ever heard. I was 4 rows back, slightly right of centre, and because the sound accentuated the treble, quite a few of the lyrics went AWOL. I worship Jackson, but haven't enthused about any of his albums since 'I'm alive'. Perhaps he needs another tragedy in his personal life to inspire him..............

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
I was quite disappointed. There was a lack of life changing songs, and a large percentage of mediocre ones. The Zevon cover was very good, but the Randy Newman track was a complete and utter waste of time. I would have preferred 'Song for Adam' to 'Rock me on the water' and 'something fine'. When he sat down at the piano and played 'Rock me on the water', I could have wept. He could have so easily played 'Fountain of sorrow', which is probably the best song I've ever heard. I was 4 rows back, slightly right of centre, and because the sound accentuated the treble, quite a few of the lyrics went AWOL. I worship Jackson, but haven't enthused about any of his albums since 'I'm alive'. Perhaps he needs another tragedy in his personal life to inspire him..............

I agree with you on there being a large percentage of mediocre songs and yes, Piece of the Pie was dire. I would have loved to have heard The Load Out and The Road, but there we go. For a Dancer was great, as was Late for the Sky. I was sitting in the stalls to the left and it was very difficult to hear what he was saying between tracks. Not the best concert I have been to - it didn't seem to really get buzzing until the last forty-five minutes - but still really glad I went.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I agree with you on there being a large percentage of mediocre songs and yes, Piece of the Pie was dire. I would have loved to have heard The Load Out and The Road, but there we go. For a Dancer was great, as was Late for the Sky. I was sitting in the stalls to the left and it was very difficult to hear what he was saying between tracks. Not the best concert I have been to - it didn't seem to really get buzzing until the last forty-five minutes - but still really glad I went.
It seemed an eternity to me before he played anything life changing. I'd already seen him at RAH 6 times & 10 times in all. He's my all time hero and his is the last name that I'd associate with mediocrity. The sycophants in the auditorium lapped it up. I, for one, was underwhelmed. I gave up seeing him some time ago, and deliberately missed the Nov 2014 RAH gig, which received Springsteenesque reviews. Apart from Springsteen, there's no one out there to touch him, so that's why I changed my mind at the last minute and went. With hindsight, not a wise decision.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Flaming Lips were outstanding tonight. It was magnificent from start to finish. One of the best concerts I have ever seen

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I was also at The Flaming Lips and what a show! Seen them before so I knew what to expect but this was extra special. Pissing down with rain and a Tuesday night but all forgotten for a couple of hours. Quality entertainment and the guitarist was wearing our red American Express away top at one point!

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just seen that 'The Horrors' at playing at the University on the 28th October (after the Stains game .... If it doesn't get moved). That could work as a big day out.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Flaming Lips tonight gave the best performance I have seen from them. It was wonderful. I cannot get the smile off my face.

Seeing them in August (for the third time). Very pleased that they seem to have reinstated Race for the Prize as their opening song after messing about for the previous four years. Always a mistake to change a winning formula in my opinion.

morematey

Jun 28, 2017
Sorry for lame first post (I was there at Hereford, etc.) however there's been a lot of talk here already about the Royal Blood gig at the Brighton Centre so thought it worth a shot.

Completely missed the tickets going on sale a couple of weeks ago. Gutted. If anyone has one or two standing tickets available (or knows of anyone) I would be delighted to pay face or slightly above face value for them (Stubhub prices are crazy). I know that it is unlikely. PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP.

As a former teacher of Mike's it would be cool to be at this gig.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Luke Haines
Railway Club
Fri 13 Oct
Nice

kroqq

Mar 28, 2013
Went up to Manchester on Tuesday to see Radiohead at Old Trafford Cricket Ground. They were awesome. I dont know if they were stung my Glastonbury criticism but hardly anything off new album. Mainly OK Computer and as close to a greatest hits Radiohead set you will ever get. They were phenomenal. And Manchester is fantastic. Definitely hope to go up for our 2 games this season.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Moonlandingz at The Haunt this evening should be fun. The album has really grown on me. Missed them at Glastonbury (couldn't resist a reunion with British Sea power who I have neglected over the last couple of years) so am looking forward to tonight.

Next week the return of 12 Stone Toddler to the Brighton music scene at the Green Door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here