Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If anyone is after a new helmet for themselves, or a family member, I can thoroughly recommend the B'Twin 500 from Decathlon. Had seen it online for a while &, because the strap on my old Giro has almost torn right through, decided to pop up to the Crawley store the other day to check one out. For £17 you cannot beat it I reckon. Really comfortable, nicely ventilated, & comes in a range of colours. Its supposedly an MTB lid - but it doesn't look out of place on the road bike either tbh (minus the visor). As I do both disciplines its perfect....Brilliant value.

We now have 2 B'Twin bikes in the Bold stable, a Triban 3 and a new Triban 540. The 540 is an incredible bike for the money. The alloy frame is comfortable, responsive, light solid and fast. It is not a full 105 groupset, but the mechs are. It is a really well spec'd bike with Mavic Askium wheels too. For £650 I'm not sure how that can be beaten until you start to get up to the £900 price range. V impressed with the Crawley store*, bought myself some gel pad bib shorts, and various other bits too.

*goes without saying that like Halfrauds, the bike setup was appalling. Pretty much unridable out of the store. I don't mind setting up the gears so sorted them at home (and the brakes), but anyone not mechanically minded make sure you insist on it being setup properly - even if you have to stand there and take the bike out a couple of times.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
We now have 2 B'Twin bikes in the Bold stable, a Triban 3 and a new Triban 540. The 540 is an incredible bike for the money. The alloy frame is comfortable, responsive, light solid and fast. It is not a full 105 groupset, but the mechs are. It is a really well spec'd bike with Mavic Askium wheels too. For £650 I'm not sure how that can be beaten until you start to get up to the £900 price range. V impressed with the Crawley store*, bought myself some gel pad bib shorts, and various other bits too.

*goes without saying that like Halfrauds, the bike setup was appalling. Pretty much unridable out of the store. I don't mind setting up the gears so sorted them at home (and the brakes), but anyone not mechanically minded make sure you insist on it being setup properly - even if you have to stand there and take the bike out a couple of times.

Yep, bought myself some shorts (£15) and a jersey (£5!) too. Both superb quality and comfort. Would recommend their cycling gear to anyone....& regularly do!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Dauphine​ fantasy game is open if anyone is up for it and fancies setting a league up. Entries in by Sunday morning.
Worth following to see what form everyone is in for TdF.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks like it could just be you and me again for this one Moto. The glory hunters just show up for the Grand Tours is seems :rolleyes:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I cycled past a couple of lycra clad, skinny tyred, shaven roadsters up Ditchling Road from The Level on my ELECTRIC bike - gave them a regal wave and a snigger as I cruised past them!!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I cycled past a couple of lycra clad, skinny tyred, shaven roadsters up Ditchling Road from The Level on my ELECTRIC bike - gave them a regal wave and a snigger as I cruised past them!!

This is interesting viewing:

What bike you got?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Yeah I nearly posted about a fella I saw flying up a hill, before I twigged he was on an e-bike. They are good at what they do. A motorcyclist I follow took one mountain biking and raved about it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Went for a great cruise up round East Hoathly / Laughton / Chalvington on Saturday....beautiful quiet lanes for the most part. First time I've ever been over that way on the bike & will definitely be going back.

Went to Eastbourne afterwards to check out the bike festival & was quite disappointed. Maybe it was because it was the Saturday, but there were very few stalls, almost nothing happening on the circuit (just a kids race at 1 - then women's cat 2/3/4 at 4pm), so I just grabbed some lunch at the cafe by the Wish Tower & went home.
We went with the kids a couple of years ago & it was rammed - & really good fun with all the activities & stalls down there on the lawns. Is it losing its appeal, or was it just because Saturday is generally the quiet day for it? Was expecting a lot more tbh.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Im in - at least we are all guaranteed a podium place.

It's a good job none of us have Sir Thomas of Gendt in our team as we'd probably have won the thing already. He'll probably hang onto yellow now until after the ITT and only lose it once the climbing stuff starts.

The funny thing is I expect all of us slotted him in at one point only to take him back out again.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
It's a good job none of us have Sir Thomas of Gendt in our team as we'd probably have won the thing already. He'll probably hang onto yellow now until after the ITT and only lose it once the climbing stuff starts.

The funny thing is I expect all of us slotted him in at one point only to take him back out again.

yep....1st name I looked at after Froome & Valverde! :-(

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005

Not me.

Has anyone else seen the programme on the bike channel about the Fred W challenge that 'RN' did? Looks amazing and really tough. Poor weather would be an absolute nightmare though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here