Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fish and chip butty ... North south divide .

Ramalanadingdong

May 6, 2014
Where exactly does the NORTH begin ?

This north/south divide is creeping in again in politics and culture ...

What is the 'south' ?

Surely London is an island on it's own ... if so , what is the south ?

As for the 'north' ... where does it begin ? .. Birmingham ? Leicester ? Nottingham ?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Birmingham Leicester & Nottingham are all Midlands.
The north starts at South Yorkshire/Lancashire.

Cue hilarious posts saying the north starts at Crawley, Hassocks etc.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
We live about 40 miles south of the Humber Bridge which to me when crossing over to South Yorkshire is where the north begins. We are still classed as East Midlands. If you draw a line across the country we are level with Sheffield, so anywhere north of that. That's my view on it anyway, all very subjective.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the north starts when you get mushy peas served with your fish & chips

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The South is an area south of the Home Counties.
The Home Counties is the suburban sprawl that surrounds London i.e North Kent, Surrey, North Hants, Berkshire East, South Bucks, South Herts and a small part of Essex. Therefore, the true area of the South is Kent ( East of the Medway ) most of Sussex, East and Central Hampshire. West of that is the South-West. The South is from Bournemouth along to Dover and Folkestone and about 25 miles inland. It is in fact a pretty small area. The true North, by comparison, is a much larger area.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Wherever the most northerly team is which is the southern group of the Auto Windshields or whatever it is called these days.

Ramalanadingdong

May 6, 2014
We live about 40 miles south of the Humber Bridge which to me when crossing over to South Yorkshire is where the north begins. We are still classed as East Midlands. If you draw a line across the country we are level with Sheffield, so anywhere north of that. That's my view on it anyway, all very subjective.

I'd say you were in Yorkshire there :salute:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
the north starts when you get mushy peas served with your fish & chips

Regency restaurant - Grilled fish medley & mushy peas, yum yum.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The North starts at a line marked by the Kennet and Avon Canal. Coupled with the River Thames it is a defensive line which goes all the way across the Country. This was the fall back line created during WW 2 to defend the North in case members of the EU managed to get a foothold on the south's beaches.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Newquay. Padstow at least.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here