Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sam Burgess - what a mess

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Football codes are intensely regional in Australia. Rugby are the dominant codes in NSW and Qld, but Aussie rules AFL dominates elsewhere. Cricket and recently football are the only truly pan-Australia sports.

On a national scale, the AFL dominates attendance numbers, but rugby league and AFL are pretty much even when it comes to TV ratings.

And the rugby union situation is remarkably similar to what it is here - aside from some distinct heartlands, it's basically a posh boy's sport. Most kids in the two rugby states play league.
But for a winter sport, Rugby, of one code or the other, is the Aussie national sport. It's only really in Victoria, where Aussie rules is number 1, that it's not played, isn't it?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But for a winter sport, Rugby, of one code or the other, is the Aussie national sport. It's only really in Victoria, where Aussie rules is number 1, that it's not played, isn't it?
Nope, if any football code is the national sport, it is the AFL. Even in Brisbane and Sydney, where it's not really part of the communities or sporting culture, the local AFL clubs draw well over 30,000 (although the expanded western Sydney franchise is largely ignored). Conversely, Melbourne Storm of the NRL have been hugely successful and still draw flies.

By the way, Aussie Rules is as big in South Australia as it is in Victoria - to the extent that there was a lot of ill feeling when the VFL explanded to become the AFL, and they more or less wiped the SAFL records from the history books/hall of fames etc.
I think the same applies in Tasmania and Western Australia too, but I'm not 100% on that.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat.../15/australia-football-interactive-statistics

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Nope, if any football code is the national sport, it is the AFL. Even in Brisbane and Sydney, where it's not really part of the communities or sporting culture, the local AFL clubs draw well over 30,000 (although the expanded western Sydney franchise is largely ignored). Conversely, Melbourne Storm of the NRL have been hugely successful and still draw flies.

By the way, Aussie Rules is as big in South Australia as it is in Victoria - to the extent that there was a lot of ill feeling when the VFL explanded to become the AFL, and they more or less wiped the SAFL records from the history books/hall of fames etc.
I think the same applies in Tasmania and Western Australia too, but I'm not 100% on that.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/dat.../15/australia-football-interactive-statistics
Interesting. I was told that Rugby League was the winter sport by an Aussie; however he was a rugby fan from NSW so probably had a different perception/bias.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Interesting. I was told that Rugby League was the winter sport by an Aussie; however he was a rugby fan from NSW so probably had a different perception/bias.
AFL is by far the more dominant code. Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory are all AFL heartlands. Simster is right too about his observations in regards to AFL in Sydney and Brisbane (where there are four teams) compared to NRL in Melbourne.
In regards to the popularity of Rugby Union compared to the other codes...when it comes to the total number of participants, soccer is actually number one, followed by Australian Rules football, rugby league, with union a very distant fourth.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
AFL is by far the more dominant code. Victoria, South Australia, Western Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory are all AFL heartlands. Simster is right too about his observations in regards to AFL in Sydney and Brisbane (where there are four teams) compared to NRL in Melbourne.
In regards to the popularity of Rugby Union compared to the other codes...when it comes to the total number of participants, soccer is actually number one, followed by Australian Rules football, rugby league, with union a very distant fourth.
No it isn't - arguably it gets the nod over league on a national scale, but only just. You're in Geelong, so you're getting a warped view on things too.

More people watch AFL games live than NRL, but population wise and television viewing, popularity is very evenly split. In fact, NRL grand finals often attract a handful more viewers than AFL grand finals.

This is interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line

The problem for both codes is that people either side of that line are so entrenched in their own code, the other code can't make any sort of in roads. This is why soccer in Australia has such a massive opportunity, especially with the 4 yearly shot in the arm that the World Cup brings. It doesn't bring that baggage to the table - so sports fans on either side of the line will get involved.

I think that the overseas players thing is a bit of a red herring - in that the two most successful teams in this tournament (NZ and Aus) had completely different viewpoints on it. What I would say, though, is that they had clear and definitive viewpoints. The RFU f'ed up on this issue by saying "we won't normally pick overseas player, but we might if we need to", which fudged the issue horribly, and it became a bone of contention when it shouldn't have.

Back onto Burgess - yes I think he was horribly mismanaged by England, and should never have been selected for this WC at centre. However I still think it's rather pathetic that he's run back to League after 12 months with his tail between his legs. He's only 26, he could have spent a couple of years learning how to be an effective blindside flanker and then had two years in the England squad (if he was up to it) building up to the next World Cup. For someone that is supposed to be a great leader and decision-maker I think his behaviour has been pretty poor.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
No it isn't - arguably it gets the nod over league on a national scale, but only just. You're in Geelong, so you're getting a warped view on things too.

More people watch AFL games live than NRL, but population wise and television viewing, popularity is very evenly split. In fact, NRL grand finals often attract a handful more viewers than AFL grand finals.

This is interesting:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barassi_Line

The problem for both codes is that people either side of that line are so entrenched in their own code, the other code can't make any sort of in roads. This is why soccer in Australia has such a massive opportunity, especially with the 4 yearly shot in the arm that the World Cup brings. It doesn't bring that baggage to the table - so sports fans on either side of the line will get involved.
I might be living in Geelong now, but I also lived in New South Wales for several years.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Rules football has three times the participation rate compared to Rugby League. It also brings in three times as much revenue. I'd argue that makes it dominant.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems to be unravelling big time. Great quotes from Armitage yesterday on the 'no French players' farce. He was particularly pissed off with England players in the squad mouthing off that he shouldn't be allowed to play, basically protecting their own places rather than wanting the best options available for the national side.

Just out of interest why was this rule brought in?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I might be living in Geelong now, but I also lived in New South Wales for several years.
According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Rules football has three times the participation rate compared to Rugby League. It also brings in three times as much revenue. I'd argue that makes it dominant.
Again, that is factually incorrect according to the article I provided earlier:

Participation rates among males:
Aussie rules 222,000
League 95,200
Union 95,600

So nowhere near three times the participation rate then, and not far off an equal split between Aussie rules and the rugby codes together. And I would be amazed if AFL brings in three times the revenue of League, when you consider how important television is to sport and NRL actually has slightly higher viewing figures than AFL. Do you have a link?

To the south west of the line, AFL is dominant. To the north east, it isn't. Overall, I'd agree with you that AFL is the bigger code, purely because rugby is split into two codes. But it doesn't change the fact that in truth, nobody really gives a shiny shite about AFL in 2 of the 3 biggest Australian population centres and nobody really gives a monkeys about the NRL (or Super rugby) outside two states.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just out of interest why was this rule brought in?

It's a deal with the Premiership clubs: England want access to their players at all times and the clubs have said "Fine. We'll let you have that if you promise not to pick players who hope off to France and their non-capped salaries." The RFU thought that sounded a good deal so that's what we've got.

If the RFU removes that restriction and picks who it wants, I expect that clubs will suddenly discover that their players have a few unexplained injuries at the same time as England get-togethers.

Buffalo Seagull

Jun 1, 2006
Geelong, Vic, Australia
Again, that is factually incorrect according to the article I provided earlier:

Participation rates among males:
Aussie rules 222,000
League 95,200
Union 95,600

So nowhere near three times the participation rate then, and not far off an equal split between Aussie rules and the rugby codes together. And I would be amazed if AFL brings in three times the revenue of League, when you consider how important television is to sport and NRL actually has slightly higher viewing figures than AFL. Do you have a link?

To the south west of the line, AFL is dominant. To the north east, it isn't. Overall, I'd agree with you that AFL is the bigger code, purely because rugby is split into two codes. But it doesn't change the fact that in truth, nobody really gives a shiny shite about AFL in 2 of the 3 biggest Australian population centres and nobody really gives a monkeys about the NRL (or Super rugby) outside two states.
Link for participation rates - http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4156.0.55.001Feature+Article1May 2009 (from the ABS, rather than a newspaper)
Link for revenue - http://www.smh.com.au/data-point/afl-leaves-other-codes-in-the-dust-20130326-2grkp.html

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It's a deal with the Premiership clubs: England want access to their players at all times and the clubs have said "Fine. We'll let you have that if you promise not to pick players who hope off to France and their non-capped salaries." The RFU thought that sounded a good deal so that's what we've got.

If the RFU removes that restriction and picks who it wants, I expect that clubs will suddenly discover that their players have a few unexplained injuries at the same time as England get-togethers.

Madness really.

What other sport would you ban players playing at a high level in a different country.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Madness really.

What other sport would you ban players playing at a high level in a different country.

Rugby has a bit of history of clubs not releasing players for internationals though. It's against IRB rules but it still happens - some clubs have contracts where players are specifically prohibited from playing internationals. No other sport that I know of has situations like that.

The IRB wants to clamp down on the practice and ensure players are free to play for their countries but I'm not holding my breath about it. If a French club refused to release a player, not sure what sanctions the RFU could apply ... and that's the problem

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The first link gives credence to your view, it must be said, although the fact is that rugby is separated out into two codes. AFL certainly has the highest participation rate, although if you take the two rugby codes together, it's really not that dominant.

But your second link is completely out of date and irrelevant - it is two and half years old. In this article from August in the same paper, you can see Channel Seven recently spent $900 million on a SIX-year deal with the AFL whereas rival Channel Nine's spent $925 million on a FIVE-year deal with the NRL. Given the importance of television revenue to the bottom line, there is no way the AFL brings in three times more revenue than the NRL.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/why-seven-prefers-afl-to-nrl-20150819-gj2lkc.html

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's probably worth noting that the All Blacks operate a similar selection policy regarding players not playing in NZ.

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
NRL actually has slightly higher viewing figures than AFL.

There's been some discussion here recently in the media as to why the disparity between live attendances and TV viewing figures exists and the considered opinion
is that Rugby League being played on a rectangular field as opposed to a large oval lends itself to be a sport that televises better and also the style of the 2 different games.
In AFL you want to see the playable options which aren't always apparent when viewing through a screen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here