Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Ryan is more mobile (probably his only asset over Stockdale) but we are not Man City. We will not be defending from the half way line this season. We will be defending mostly in the final third. I don't believe that our team management is naive enough to think we have the ability to play high enough up the pitch for Ryan to play as a sweeper. We bought Ryan because individuals at the club think he is a better all round keeper. I suspect this is a mistake similar to the Murray/CMS situation. I hope I am wrong.

Wasn't it said when we got him that he was an excellent sweeper which was needed in the EPL and that was why we had bought him? I really hope he turns it round. At the moment i cant help thinking we might well have got a point at Leicester if Stockdale had been in goal. And every point is precious.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Its a bit of a sweeping statement to say you are sure the handling errors will stop. How long before expectation changes to hope?

All that said - I'm on your side!

His handling will improve or he will be dropped is the point I think. As the previous post has pointed out, he has done some good work that has not been mentioned, things that Stockdale would likely not have managed. The problem is people judge on what is plainly obvious, that his handling has been very poor thus far.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stockdale normally made a couple of top notch saves in every game. Ryan has made a couple of decent saves but his errors outweigh the good saves in the two games I've watched. He is a liability at the moment but of course he deserves time to settle in, just like Stockdale did.

At the risk of repeating myself his parrying of shots needs looking at, he is knocking them straight to an opposition player.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
He'll be fine, once our coaches have taught him how to angle his fingers properly. Until then, he seems to be the new escape goat [emoji106]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stockdale normally made a couple of top notch saves in every game. Ryan has made a couple of decent saves but his errors outweigh the good saves in the two games I've watched. He is a liability at the moment but of course he deserves time to settle in, just like Stockdale did.

At the risk of repeating myself his parrying of shots needs looking at, he is knocking them straight to an opposition player.

That is his major weakness that needs working on urgently.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm not one to get after players especially this early but I'd be a liar if I didn't say he worries me...

All goalies are a cause for concern. As the last line of defence, any ricket gets magnified 200%.....or 123.4% depending how much you've had to drink. Stockdale had it in him to have the crowd holding their breath, given time, skippy will justify his position as I think he'll come good

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
All goalies are a cause for concern. As the last line of defence, any ricket gets magnified 200%.....or 123.4% depending how much you've had to drink. Stockdale had it in him to have the crowd holding their breath, given time, skippy will justify his position as I think he'll come good

I hope you're right. I think it's partly his stature which I hate saying as I'm a proper shortarse myself, but he just doesn't seem to command his box at all. Hopefully just acclimatisation and he will come good.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Simples really,if his form drops......He gets dropped ! ( He is not at that point at the moment IMO ) No time for sentiment. (We will need that third keeper ! )

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
His early form suggests that maybe the 3rd choice keeper may actually have to be someone who provides genuine competition to be a starter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People saying we need a sweeper keeper but personally I would prefer one who stops the shots even if he has to punt the ball upfield afterwards.
Trouble is punting the ball upfield is counter-productive when your most advanced attacking player is 10 or even 20 yards inside our own half! (see previous discussions about 'leaving one player up')

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Trouble is punting the ball upfield is counter-productive when your most advanced attacking player is 10 or even 20 yards inside our own half! (see previous discussions about 'leaving one player up')

That is shown by the lack of pace and mobility of our front me. They didnt win the ball very much but when they did there was nobody anywhere near them perhaps Izquierdo will provide that but a lot is expected of him.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
He'll be fine, once our coaches have taught him how to angle his fingers properly. Until then, he seems to be the new escape goat [emoji106]

Should we really need to coach him on "how to angle his fingers" when we paid £5 million for him? I would think a professional who has played for his country should know this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here