Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breaking News -SING LI CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I THOUGHT WE WERE PREMIERE LEAGUE REDDY THIS HAS BLOWN A HOLE IN THE SIDE OF THAT!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'd assumed they were going to be the first place in Brighton to get a Michelin star. They can't close. No way.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sing Li reminds me of the chippy I used to frequent, way back in the 80's.
It's the Full House chinese chippy in Henley.
Fabulous characters and great chips, especially the curry sauce
Still go there today:thumbsup:

Henley on Thames? How terribly up market, a place like that sounds totally out of place there somehow!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I do hope this isn't the end for Sing Li. It means we'd have lost another legendary character from the Queens Road area. I miss the days when there was the shop with hundreds of little rooms stuffed with books piled on the floor and the proprietor always smoking and doing his crossword, and just along from him at the top of Church Street was D.K. Rosen with his dead man's clothes boutique.

And if you asked him for a particular book, he would dive in to the middle of the fifteenth pile on the left in the third room, or wherever, and bring out precisely the book you had asked for - he knew where everything was!

As for Sing Li, I well remember one post-pub night where we got everyone in the queue to ask him if he had any Halibut. When I got to the front, before I could ask, he just took one look at me and said 'We have no f***ing haribut'. Became one of our catchphrases whenever anything ran out for many years....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Depends on how you define crap l guess. Unhealthy certainly, but God it tastes wonderful!.

Indeed, if death by Sing Li was an option bring it on. Chips kept in a freezer in the back garden, what's not to love? So much iconic imagery - the old handwritten signs, updated prices stuck over the top, the old drinks bottle with a crude hole pierced in its gold metal lid as a salt dispenser, the family chillaxing in the background.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Many a time I've lost my will power after too many beers in the Trafalgar and given in to Sing Li's battered sausage!

I hope he recovers and is back behind the counter soon. Is there no Sing Li junior?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Many a time I've lost my will power after too many beers in the Trafalgar and given in to Sing Li's battered sausage!

I hope he recovers and is back behind the counter soon. Is there no Sing Li junior?

There may well be.

I am pleased that my two sons haven't followed in my footsteps, jobwise. Perhaps Sing Li Junior, if he or she exists, has no ambitions to take over the family business.

I have never succumbed to the temptation of Sing Li. Never. Even when I've been with people who have.
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] would consider this to be a disgrace.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Perhaps Sing Li Junior, if he or she exists, has no ambitions to take over the family business.

There's a young daughter who always does her homework or colouring in books on the table at the back of the shop. Can't see the council letting a 13 year old take over a chippy though. I hope he gets well soon. I think [MENTION=357]afters[/MENTION] put it best in this thread.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here