Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Views from a Birmingham supporter re Saturdays game.

View from the South – Brighton & Hove Albion v Birmingham City
Jan 12th, 2014 | By BazzatheBluenose | Category: Blues News, Lead Article, Match reports, Reports By Bazza

There was an inevitability about Blues surrendering their proud, unbeaten ten game record with a patchwork quilt of a side forced upon Lee Clark by injuries, loans going back to their mother clubs and the fact that the squad even in the best of times is thin with the inherent strength of wet bog paper. For all our adversity, Blues were competitive on a bright sunny afternoon down on the south coast against one of the best sides I have seen in what is a ‘much of a muchness’ division this year.

Brighton is a pleasant place to visit; it was easy to get to by car, free car parking at Brighton Racecourse from where an efficient park and ride bus was available also included in the price of the match ticket to the ground. When you get into the ground, there is excellent service from the catering arrangements with the best pies in the league and a decent drop of ale locally brewed. The facilities are modern with clean washrooms, warm water to wash your hands in and efficient hand dryers. The stadium itself holds 30,750 with generous seating and excellent views all round the ground. It has everything you could wish for in a modern football stadium and provides a first class match day experience. It has everything that is lacking at St Andrews! Moreover, their chairman, Tony Bloom is a lifelong Brighton fan whose heart, as well as his money, is well and truly invested in the club. He has some similarities to our Far Eastern leader in that he is a gambler, having represented Britain at poker and has made it to a handful of final tables in televised events winning £180,000 at the Australasian championships in 2004. He differs from our owner in being totally open and above board with regard to his financial dealings. He has also made money from property development and is instrumental in the building and development of the beautiful Falmer Stadium sponsored by AMEX which cost £93 million.

Jonny my eldest son and I feared the worst as we took our places in the South Stand. Hayden Mullins’ experience was preferred to Will Packwood’s youth at the back, partnering Paul Robinson at centre half. Mitch Hancox returned at left-back having recovered from a hamstring injury. Paul Caddis occupied his customary right back berth. In the absence of Tom Adeyemi, Wade Elliott was recalled to play in the middle of the three behind Nikola Zigic. Lee Novak and Chris Burke operated either side of him with Callum Reilly and Olly Lee making up the numbers in midfield. Blues started brightly and created the game’s first chance from a corner in the 17th minute. Olly Lee’s pacy cross was headed towards goal by Mullins but Keith Andrews was on hand inside the near post to clear off the line. The contest evened out after that and Blues were competitive throughout the first half although Brighton stated to get the upper hand around the half hour mark increasing the pressure as they went on. However, Blues worked hard and stuck to their tasks and the full backs are to be especially commended to keeping the dangerous Kazenga Lua Lua, Brighton’s stand out player at bay down each flank.

Brighton play neat attractive football and are good in possession. Their dominance of the ball began to tell in the latter 15 minutes of the half. An imprudent tackle by Mullins just after the half hour brought down Andrew Crofts on the edge of the box but the free kick fortunately came to nothing. Five minutes later Robinson fluffed a clearance header and the ball dropped invitingly for Crofts. Robbo redeemed himself by throwing his body bravely in the way of the goalbound shot. Just before the break Darren Randolph deflected a venomous, spitefully swerving drive from over 25 yards from LuaLua over the crossbar as Blues clung on and were arguably fortunate to go into the dressing room level.

Brighton carried on from where they left off after the break and Blues were under the cosh for the most part with only sporadic forays into the Brighton half meaning that so much of the play was at the other end of the pitch from us. It did not help that we contrived to give the ball away cheaply when we did get it and present chances to Brighton who were swarming all over us with high tempo pressing and excellent movement. Callum Reilly nearly gifted the opening goal when he misplaced a pass straight to LuaLua who took the ball on into the area. Only a well timed dive by Randolph saved the day. I had the awful feeling that unless Blues could gain some kind of midfield control that the pressure would inevitably tell. On 57 minutes it did. David Lopez was played in on the right of the area and his pull back was met by Crofts whose shot was well saved by Randolph’s legs. Leaonardo Ulloa followed up but his powerful shot was blocked. This was where Blues’ luck ran out as the ball rebounded to the right into the path of Lopez whose shot across Randolph this time found the bottom corner for a deserved lead.

Brighton could have continued at this stage and I have no doubt they would have killed us off but they started to sit off as so many teams that take leads do and this gave Blues a foothold in the game. Young Reece Brown came on for Blues and looked lively with good touches. Blues became more threatening having reverted to 4-4-2 and could so easily have snatched a draw from the game as Brighton lived dangerously. Near the end the Brighton goal enjoyed the little bit of luck that teams need to see out tight games sometimes. Shane Ferguson got to the by-line and crossed to Lee Novak who glanced a header across goal. It just eluded Zigic and Chris Burke coming in at the far post was only thwarted by the faintest of deflection off a defender who knew nothing about it. Burke could not control the diversion and it struck his midriff to pass agonisingly wide of the far post. This was a very lucky let off for the hosts. Burke was causing havoc down Brighton’s left flank and Tomasz Kuszczak had to save a fierce drive from the winger as the travelling faithful exhorted the lads into one final effort. The resulting corner saw Burke in again and this time he fired a glorious low cross three yards out across the goal and there was a tap in for any of at least three Birmingham players had they gambled! There was still time for another couple of half chances which came to naught and Brighton had the last word when they gained a three on one break out only for Rohan Ince to neither score himself or lay off an easy pass for one of his two team mates. The excellent Randolph dived at his feet and snuffed out the danger.

Defeat it was ultimately but despite our deficiencies and our makeshift team, Blues played well in the circumstances. This was a decent performances and although Brighton were the better side and deserved the three points it was the type of game that could so easily have finished 0-0 given that nine times out of ten ricochets like the one that fell to Lopez go to a defender rather than an attacker so the ball ran kindly and it must be said it was technically a very fine finish from where he was. Blues came very close to snatching an equaliser and had they done so, Brighton could not have complained about two points chucked away since they did sit off towards the end. In the final analysis, Brighton were better than us and deserved their win. They are the sort of club I wish in the future Birmingham City will be and with our bigger town and fan base who knows what success would be possible? Chin up fellow bluenoses, brighter skies lie ahead; the dark days won’t go on forever.

The Good: The defending and the excellent goal keeping by Darren Randolph which prevented us being on the end of a right pasting.

The Bad: Our inability to keep the ball when we were under pressure in the second half.

The Ugly: Can’t think of anything; it was a beautiful day, an easy journey to and from the ground, excellent catering and an overall good match day experience.

ARSE LICKER:facepalm:

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Good man AGT, I have seldom (never?) seen such a fair minded review from an away fan and you are just the sort of bloke who would always be welcome to come and have a pint of Harveys in the North Stand concourse after a match.

Very much this.

AGT

Apr 13, 2011
Is 'AGT' really Tony Bloom, in disguise?

No, I'm a Brighton supporter, I like to get an opposing supporters view of the matches and their opinion of our facilities. On seeing this one I thought it was worth sharing

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Excellent review. Exactly as I saw it. This sitting off thing is worrying though, we were lucky to cling on at the end

Hardly worrying, pretty much every team that has a one goal lead will be put under severe pressure at the end of a game, it's natural that teams stop deeper and deeper to try and retain a lead.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The boring fans bit I don't get. What do they expect, the Royal Variety Performance? I've never been to an away game where I thought 'these away fans are boring.'

They obviously have no idea of our history. Our fans were the least boring in the land for a long long time. We wunt be druv!

And the old chestnut about the Amex being soulless. Ridiculous. I'm sure they would prefer falling down, smelling of p*ss, roofless etc etc.

When Birmingham came down here in the first season, I remember sitting on the train with some Bluenoses on the way to the game.

One of them muttered, '... here we go, another flat-pack identikit stadium, a soulless bowl...' He was challenged by a few people, asking him how he knew what it was going to be like if he hadn't been before. 'I promise you it will be the same as every other stadium...'

'Really? How do you know...?'

'Look, don't get shitty with me. I know about this stuff...' and started jabbing someone in the chest, with the eventual, predictable 'gay' swipe.

Airhead.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

when birmingham came down here in the first season, i remember sitting on the train with some bluenoses on the way to the game.

One of them muttered, '... Here we go, another flat-pack identikit stadium, a soulless bowl...' he was challenged by a few people, asking him how he knew what it was going to be like if he hadn't been before. 'i promise you it will be the same as every other stadium...'

'really? How do you know...?'

'look, don't get shitty with me. I know about this stuff...' and started jabbing someone in the chest, with the eventual, predictable 'gay' swipe.

Airhead.

He was spot on though???

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patreon
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Excellent review. Exactly as I saw it. This sitting off thing is worrying though, we were lucky to cling on at the end

We weren't though were we. They had some half chances but we still had two or three really good chances to score late on - far better than theirs. So yes, it felt nervous because any team CAN score a goal and take a couple of points off you if you're only one goal ahead. But in reality even though we didn't make our advantage count in the first 60 minutes, we could still have won three-nil.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It's not the first time this season that we've sat back far too much and dropped really deep when we've gone into the lead. I think that's why we've lost so many matches from winning positions this year, which is something that didn't happen at all last season

I think you will find that it did!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Here are some other views:

http://www.smallheathalliance.com/read.php?1,1457278

"They've got friendly, but boring fans. A smart, but boring ground. They're an inoffensive, but boring club."

"Boring ground, boring fans, boring club."

"It's a decent ground with good facilities but like loads of the new stadiums it has no soul and feels like it's in the middle of nowhere."

"I like Brighton, they're obviously a very friendly and pleasant bunch who deserve credit. But they seem way to inoffensive. Which means opposing fans might find Brighton a bit dull in the sense that they'll never do anything outrageous or hateful."

What is it they say about people that call things boring?

These are absolutely classic, "I've got nothing bad to say about the day but we lost so I've got to come up with something" quotes.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Hardly worrying, pretty much every team that has a one goal lead will be put under severe pressure at the end of a game, it's natural that teams stop deeper and deeper to try and retain a lead.

Natural also that teams which were happy to settle for point until going behind will press with increasing urgency for an equaliser, and do so with relatively fresh legs and attacking subs. But the bottom line is still that scoring is difficult, which is why 1-0 to the home team is the favourite in correct score betting in the majority of games. Think 2-0 only takes over as fav when the home side is about 4-6 or shorter.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here