Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Hughton Out" on Radio 5 Live

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
He is not 'revelling in his notoriety'. Nor is he owning up to it 'All over twitter'. He is responding to people like you who jump on somebody because their opinion differs from yours.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He is not 'revelling in his notoriety'. Nor is he owning up to it 'All over twitter'. He is responding to people like you who jump on somebody because their opinion differs from yours.

So what you're saying is you can give an opinion, but responding to that opinion with your own is 'jumping on somebody'.

Bath seagull has already admitted that the 'Hughton out' comment was to just get himself on the radio, which in my opinion is pretty pathetic; if it's okay with you that I give my opinion on that. Feel free to give your opinion in return, I won't take it as 'jumping on me' just because it might differ from mine. :thumbsup:

What I would suggest, in my opinion, is that if someone is a bit sensitive about people giving their opinion back to you, you don't go on national radio saying something stupid to hundreds of thousands of people.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was laughing at a Palace fan called ‘Melvin’ on 606 a few weeks ago whilst he lamented the fact they’d sold Murray!

Sadly, any Palace fans listening last night would have been laughing their socks off at what BS had to say. Just embarrassing.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Huddersfield and Fulham both play this brand of attacking football, committing players high up the pitch, high press, it’s not always the answer that fans think. BTW I don’t think CH is devoid of criticism, would love us to be more flowing and attacking but I see the pragmatism of the approach

Hudd's and Fulham are often the reference points as are City and L'Pool but it feels like the argument is more of a battering ram approach to the debate

Hudd's just don't have any quality in their squad and I'm not sure whatever approach they took would yield results. City and L'pool and others just have the quality running throughout that they can

Fulham I suspect though is more a matter of too many 'individuals' in their team and assembled far too quickly. From what I've seen their defensive positioning is dreadful and their midfielders caught way too high up the pitch ... I don't believe this is how Jokanovic is intending it, just dreadful execution

I agree we're probably taking the pragmatic approach right now. Propper and Gross injured and our new recruits still not settled but I would hope that when we have a full squad and 2 or 3 of the new recruits become regular starters (if indeed they have the quality to do so) then we might look to play more like the likes of Watford and B'Muff. Their teams are not packed with expensively assembled 'stars' and they have been playing like that ever since they were promoted.

I like to think I'm adopting a middle ground, but to some I'm sure my views will be considered heresy

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think we also need to remember that a team that wants to attack needs to be able to pass the ball to each other consistently, and we are struggling to do that at the moment. For whatever reason, things aren't clicking, so I think the idea we're not trying to attack is probably wrong. It's a needs must kind of thing. We're struggling for form and we're playing against teams that are able to ping the ball around at the moment pushing us back. When we get our passing game back on track, I think we'll see more attacking play.

This is exactly how I see the current situation.

Yesterday against Everton, we consistently struggled to pass our way out of defence. This meant that there was very little respite between Everton attacks . This is purely down to a lack of confidence in the current team , as we have been capable of slick and accurate interplay during last season. We are clearly missing the calm heads of propper and Pascal gross , who both are capable of holding the ball or playing accurate passes as part of our attacking moves.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hudd's and Fulham are often the reference points as are City and L'Pool but it feels like the argument is more of a battering ram approach to the debate

Hudd's just don't have any quality in their squad and I'm not sure whatever approach they took would yield results. City and L'pool and others just have the quality running throughout that they can

Fulham I suspect though is more a matter of too many 'individuals' in their team and assembled far too quickly. From what I've seen their defensive positioning is dreadful and their midfielders caught way too high up the pitch ... I don't believe this is how Jokanovic is intending it, just dreadful execution

I agree we're probably taking the pragmatic approach right now. Propper and Gross injured and our new recruits still not settled but I would hope that when we have a full squad and 2 or 3 of the new recruits become regular starters (if indeed they have the quality to do so) then we might look to play more like the likes of Watford and B'Muff. Their teams are not packed with expensively assembled 'stars' and they have been playing like that ever since they were promoted.

I like to think I'm adopting a middle ground, but to some I'm sure my views will be considered heresy

Generally agree with all your points.

BMuff did spend alot in their first season or two, relative to the lower broadcasting income then, and many of those signings didn’t become first team regulars. A bit like us now, sticking with the dependable promotion players.

They were a team that went all out, conceded loads and lost an awful lot in the PL. The benefit of wisdom and some very expensive signings (Lerma and Ake), they’ve finally tightened up at the back.

Feels like we’re a couple of years behind them in PL development. Hopefully our recruitment quartet are targeting creative CM’ers and forwards in the coming windows, at a higher and probably more expensive level.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Yesterday against Everton, we consistently struggled to pass our way out of defence. This meant that there was very little respite between Everton attacks . This is purely down to a lack of confidence in the current team , as we have been capable of slick and accurate interplay during last season. We are clearly missing the calm heads of propper and Pascal gross , who both are capable of holding the ball or playing accurate passes as part of our attacking moves.

Everton have simply spent many £100m’s in fees and wages on far better players than us in midfield. Just one of those things in football. Swap their 3 CM’ers for ours, and we’d control many a PL match. Until that time, CH has wisely taken a rudimentary approach to accumulating points.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

As CH has said himself ..even in victory

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Everton have simply spent many £100m’s in fees and wages on far better players than us in midfield. Just one of those things in football. Swap their 3 CM’ers for ours, and we’d control many a PL match. Until that time, CH has wisely taken a rudimentary approach to accumulating points.

And last time Everton weren’t in the top flight....before I was born

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
We are actually currently averaging more goals a game than we averaged over last season.

We are three places higher in the league than we finished last season.

We have just won three games in a row in the top league for the first time since the early eighties.

Our success has not been founded upon out attacking teams. We are organised, resilient and hard to break down and have been ever since Chris Hughton instilled this approach to stop us from getting relegated from the Championship in his first season.

We won three matches in October in the Premier League. Do you remember when we never used to win in October? Which manager stopped that?

Despite a nomination for manager of the month and two players up for player of the month, Hughton has made it clear in interviews that he is not satisfied that the team is reaching the levels that they are capable of.

Players have said repeatedly that one of Hughton's great strengths is that he does not react to the highs and lows of football results. He focuses on the next target.

We are missing Gross and Propper. Following injury, Izquierdo is playing his way into form in the same way he did when he joined last year. The new signings are going through the same acclimatising process that Izquierdo went through last year.

Seven of our eleven games have been against teams who sit above us in the league; six against the top half and four against the big six. We have not lost to anyone currently below us.

Our top striker is one behind the division's leading goalscorer.

Hughton's approach has led to a Brighton player being called up to the England squad for the first time in more than three decades.

We are currently one place above where Newcastle were when Mike Ashley sacked Chris Hughton in 2010: a decision rightly derided by most people in football as utterly disrespectful, hubristic and short-termist.

We have a manager who is committed, decent, honourable, knowledgeable, realistic, hard working and successful and, as fans we would do well to reflect his attitude to football. Doing so would keep us grounded enough to never feel the need to ring a football phone-in show.

Everyone should have stopped listening to 606 the moment #prodnose was sacked. His concept of a programme celebrating the shared joyous madness and pointlessness of football obsession has become completely corrupted and is now nothing more than a forum for amateur and professional partisan bores to share opinions that their friends and families have become tired of hearing.

Other than that, carry on...

Bravo sir!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
We are actually currently averaging more goals a game than we averaged over last season.

We are three places higher in the league than we finished last season.

We have just won three games in a row in the top league for the first time since the early eighties.

Our success has not been founded upon out attacking teams. We are organised, resilient and hard to break down and have been ever since Chris Hughton instilled this approach to stop us from getting relegated from the Championship in his first season.

We won three matches in October in the Premier League. Do you remember when we never used to win in October? Which manager stopped that?

Despite a nomination for manager of the month and two players up for player of the month, Hughton has made it clear in interviews that he is not satisfied that the team is reaching the levels that they are capable of.

Players have said repeatedly that one of Hughton's great strengths is that he does not react to the highs and lows of football results. He focuses on the next target.

We are missing Gross and Propper. Following injury, Izquierdo is playing his way into form in the same way he did when he joined last year. The new signings are going through the same acclimatising process that Izquierdo went through last year.

Seven of our eleven games have been against teams who sit above us in the league; six against the top half and four against the big six. We have not lost to anyone currently below us.

Our top striker is one behind the division's leading goalscorer.

Hughton's approach has led to a Brighton player being called up to the England squad for the first time in more than three decades.

We are currently one place above where Newcastle were when Mike Ashley sacked Chris Hughton in 2010: a decision rightly derided by most people in football as utterly disrespectful, hubristic and short-termist.

We have a manager who is committed, decent, honourable, knowledgeable, realistic, hard working and successful and, as fans we would do well to reflect his attitude to football. Doing so would keep us grounded enough to never feel the need to ring a football phone-in show.

Everyone should have stopped listening to 606 the moment #prodnose was sacked. His concept of a programme celebrating the shared joyous madness and pointlessness of football obsession has become completely corrupted and is now nothing more than a forum for amateur and professional partisan bores to share opinions that their friends and families have become tired of hearing.

Other than that, carry on...
A bit (actually, a lot) of perspective put perfectly.
Great post Sir

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Maybe you should count how many tweets he's posted?
I have posted my opinion just once and I usually debate on here, not jumping all over anyone.
You seem to have a problem with me with your accusation, so I suggest you put me on ignore.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Definitely a fan, I've just recognised him, used to sit near me at Withdean.

:lolol:

Is that an apology then for calling him a "fan" in your opening post?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
So what you're saying is you can give an opinion, but responding to that opinion with your own is 'jumping on somebody'.

Bath seagull has already admitted that the 'Hughton out' comment was to just get himself on the radio, which in my opinion is pretty pathetic; if it's okay with you that I give my opinion on that. Feel free to give your opinion in return, I won't take it as 'jumping on me' just because it might differ from mine. :thumbsup:

What I would suggest, in my opinion, is that if someone is a bit sensitive about people giving their opinion back to you, you don't go on national radio saying something stupid to hundreds of thousands of people.

Not as simple as responding to an opinion with a counter opinion though is it.

Check the first couple of pages of this thread. Plenty calling into question his status as a fan, just because of the opinion he's expressed. Turns out the bloke has supported the club all his life and was a regular at the Withdean.

So yes, he himself has been 'jumped on', not just his opinion.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Chris builds a team which wins/draws enough to stay up, and not get embarrassed too often by the "Big 6".....eg: losing 2-0 at Man City, as opposed to Southampton.....

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
People are taking this way too seriously sport radio is full of fans from every club making crazy statements it’s all part of the pantomime

Nobody has been hurt here and most have laughed it off as a bit ridiculous (including the bloke who said it)

Time to put the high horses back in the stables

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The style debate might be a good one, what was it about 146 goals over 2 seasons you didn’t like? We’ve seen distinct ways of playing over the past decade, I loved us under Gus too but feel Hughton has been more attacking and direct than Gus was. Thing about Hughton for me is he plays to his team’s strengths, at present that is defensively, but we’ve already seen this season that isn’t always the case, and last season the same happened over the course of the year.

Huddersfield and Fulham both play this brand of attacking football, committing players high up the pitch, high press, it’s not always the answer that fans think. BTW I don’t think CH is devoid of criticism, would love us to be more flowing and attacking but I see the pragmatism of the approach, and also loved the last 3 seasons, I honestly don’t know what you’ve enjoyed in your history of watching us if you haven’t enjoyed Hughton’s team and style over his tenure! :crazy:

Stylistically I think CH is too quick to drop his teams 15-20 yards. I think it puts us under immense pressure and we often lack the pace, particularly without Izzy, to get out, whilst this also has the effect of limiting our own pressing and isolating Murray. What is clear though is that there was a more obvious balance in the Championship. We were solid defensively but we had a stronger group of players relative to that division. The benefit of that is we often didn't push our defensive line back so far, at least until the final moments to see games out. We scored a large percentage of the goals you're talking about in that time when we were one of the dominant sides in that league. But even then, we were often slow to counter and often slowed the pace right down, allowing teams to get back in position - luckily, we had a fair bit of Knockaert and Murray magic to score the goals we needed to in tight games.

Last season, once we got going, was still quite balanced, despite the use of Gross as a number 10 meaning that we had 5 in midfield at times, again isolating Murray in away games in particular. This year however, we seem to have regressed and dropped deeper and deeper. This is inviting teams on us and with our often slow circulation of the ball, it allows better teams than us to easily reconfigure their defences before we've even got into their half. We've been lucky the 3 games previous to Everton, but I imagine that luck can't continue, at least not consistently. Eventually we have to try and attack teams to score a more regular supply of goals and to give our attacking players a chance to actually play to their potential (aside from Murray, who is performing at his absolute maximum to mask the stylistic issues and systemic deficiencies elsewhere). Of course there are risks to doing that, but there are massive risks the way we're playing at the moment by allowing good teams on to us all game every game.

So, for me, I don't enjoy the style we're playing this season and as a result I find the games tense, but without any fun - it simply isn't enjoyable to watch us play football at the moment, even with the recent results. We're not pragmatic anymore - we're defensive. They're two different things.

As to playing to our strengths, how is it playing to Izquierdo's strengths by having him sit on Bong all game, every game to cover him? How is it playing to Murray's strengths isolating him for large portions of games? How is it playing to Bruno's strengths when he's penned in all game? Or Dunk's when he only has Murray to aim at from the back? Or Kayal's when he's not pressing teams high, but he's pressing them 20 yards into our own half because the rest of the team is so deep? How is it playing to Knockaert's strengths when he has to beat 5 men and run 50 yards with the ball just to get near their box when he first receives it? I'm sorry, but this idea that he's playing to the team's strengths is rubbish - he's playing to Duffy and Bong's strengths - that's about it!

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Are we still giving this troll oxygen? Reminds me of the character in Asterix and the Roman Agent, Tortuous Convolvulus, a natural troublemaker whose mere presence causes arguments, quarrels and fights.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here