Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ultimately, whether we sign O'Connell, Moore or another - they probably won't be as good as Connor Goldson.

But they're going to be on the outside looking in, playing the Hünemeier role unless we get some injury problems so it's not an easy casting

You are not allowed to say that as the man we will sign will have to be as good as Stones or Maguire and give Duffy and Dunk competition it seems

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We are playing in the Premier league not some mickey mouse league. Every team has a good 25 man squad. You need it. Playing people like Bruno or Bernado at CB is simply not the solution and you shouldn't start a season thinking like that.
I cannot get my head around people who think square peg in round hole mentality when you are awash with money in the hardest league.
It shouldn't happen and there isn't any need either unless you suffer an horrific injury crisis.
Another CB is needed SIMPLES

Please see previous posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You are not allowed to say that as the man we will sign will have to be as good as Stones or Maguire and give Duffy and Dunk competition it seems

Nobody mentioned that he has to be as good as Stones or Maguire... I grant that in your stupid head this maybe the case... you clown...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think the club via Argus are playing down the chance of signing a CB to keep the selling clubs prices on the right side of ridiculously high...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Club view appears to be that if we lose 2 CBs this side of window then Bernardo is a reasonable option. And if we lost 3 god forbid then Bruno/Ben White would step up.
Things might change in January of course or indeed in next 48 hours once let’s say Reading see the clock ticking down...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Club view appears to be that if we lose 2 CBs this side of window then Bernardo is a reasonable option. And if we lost 3 god forbid then Bruno/Ben White would step up.
Things might change in January of course or indeed in next 48 hours once let’s say Reading see the clock ticking down...

Too big a gamble by the club IMHO (as I've said all summer)...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Too big a gamble by the club IMHO (as I've said all summer)...

Paying £10m+ (or more than they value him at) for a CB who , if Dunk/Duffy rule the roost then kicks his heels in the u23s and doesn’t get a game is also a big risk. Threatens resell value.
Anyway premature to pass verdict ... yet.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Paying £10m+ (or more than they value him at) for a CB who , if Dunk/Duffy rule the roost then kicks his heels in the u23s and doesn’t get a game is also a big risk. Threatens resell value.

interesting development..]Reading closing on Kortney Hause a player Clement only said he would get if Moore leaves..
[tweet]1026870544485023744[/tweet]

On Kortney Hause rumour
I'm not going to talk about an individual player but while the situation is going on we have to be ready to do something.

The permanent window will shut but we still have time until the end of August to do something if Liam leaves the club. But if he doesn't we won't need to.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I dont think it's a case of Dunk and Duffy ruling the roost as you put it, simply that they nailed down those starting slots as they were putting in the best performances week in week out. Doubtless they will form the cenre back partnership at Watford on Saturday, but should they get injured, suspended, or indeed lose format any stage this season, then the other centre backs in the squad can slip effortlessly into the role, and hope to hold on to those places.

It's the way any good Premier Leage club should operate, leaving absolutely as little as possible to chance.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody mentioned that he has to be as good as Stones or Maguire... I grant that in your stupid head this maybe the case... you clown...

Feckin well hope all our centre backs are better than Maguire.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Many on here think that Dunk is as good as or even better than Maguire so on that basis any signing would need to be better than Maguire.a position only occupied by Stones IMHO.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
Many on here think that Dunk is as good as or even better than Maguire so on that basis any signing would need to be better than Maguire.a position only occupied by Stones IMHO.

I'm not sure that is what they are arguing, BG. I think their contention is that anyone we bring in has to offer genuine competition for Dunk and Duffy. As such, given the general direction of travel, our new defender would be expected to be an upgrade on Goldson.

We clearly have a set budget for this position, so nobody is expecting us to to be bidding for the likes of Maguire or Stones - who wouldn't even come to us, even if we could afford their salaries.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm not sure that is what they are arguing, BG. I think their contention is that anyone we bring in has to offer genuine competition for Dunk and Duffy. As such, given the general direction of travel, our new defender would be expected to be an upgrade on Goldson.

We clearly have a set budget for this position, so nobody is expecting us to to be bidding for the likes of Maguire or Stones - who wouldn't even come to us, even if we could afford their salaries.

I was referring to pre World Cup when many said that Dunk was better than Maguire and should have been in the squad in preference. and also a certainty to figure in the games.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
It’s nowhere near as big a risk as starting last season with only three strikers, two of whom were injured and none of whom had any Premier League credentials.

I would rather play the first half of the season with three centre backs than pay £10m-£15m for a totally unproven player from Reading to sit on our bench.

Moore NOT unproven. And, dare I say it, staying up is worth shed loads more than £10m, or even £15m... of course, there are no guarantees, but you have to maximise your chances of survival IMHO..

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Hmmm... well, after the World Cup, I think many people on here were proved wrong re Maguire, much as I rate Dunky.,.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Good post...

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Just spoke to a ardent Reading supporter in a bar tonight. Said Moore was their best defender by a mile last year in a poor team. Rated him at no more than £5 million,and did not think he would make it in Premier League.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just spoke to a ardent Reading supporter in a bar tonight. Said Moore was their best defender by a mile last year in a poor team. Rated him at no more than £5 million,and did not think he would make it in Premier League.

Reading’s Ben’s Grandad ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here