Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Redknapp stupidity

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Harry is a man to be much despised.
He has carved out a very successful career at the expense of the football clubs he has managed, by convincing chairmen to spend more than they can afford, leaving a trail of destruction behind (Bournemouth, West Ham, Portsmouth and Southampton all suffered financial problems after his tenure).
Not to mention the alleged corruption charges, tax evasion charges and Monaco bank accounts in the name of his dog.
Arguably the single person most responsible for bringing about the need to introduce FFP.

No Harry, it's not intended to make it a level playing field, it's to prevent individuals like you wrecking football clubs for personal gain.

Surely that's the board of directors job not the Manager? His job is to win football matches and that is generally done by the teams with the highest budget...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yes very serious. Read post 39 by Gwylan. Sums it up very well. He alludes to whu, Pompey and soton. I will take spurs and question the 'he screwed every club he's ever been involved with.' How was getting them first of all into the CL and getting them to the q/f 'screw them over?' They would've taken that in the last two seasons. How about qpr as well? How has he 'screwed' them? Promotion at the first attempt after inheriting a basket case of a club.

Blaming a manager for a clubs financial mismanagement is so old hat. The days of a manager playing an active role in negotiations has long since gone. A manager just presents his list of targets and leaves it down to the chief exec to do the rest.

Redknapp has a mixed view by Spurs fans.

Best Squad Spurs ever had and didnt win anything.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Peter Storrie and 'Arry had quite a cosy arrangment between them at Portsmouth of skimming a bonus % for themselves from the proceeds of all player sales at Pompey. Its not illegal, they weren't breaking any rules (as it came out in the court case, the tax on this was paid). But with that in mind, its not overly surprising that there was such an ENORMOUS and constant turnover of many high-profile players at Fratton Park under Redknapp. That "wheeler dealer" reputation was certainly well earned, but then when you're trousering a bonus from each sale, its definitely in your wallets interests to encourage a revolving door policy on the dressing room.

Like I say, not illegal. But I'm not sure its particularly ethical. Put it this way, I wouldn't be overly happy if Sami and Barber were personally coining it from player sales.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Another bit of GENIUS management from Harry Redknapp was to play NIKO KRANCJAR as part of a central midfield TWO against Blind, Mata, Herrara, Rooney etc.

He is a top quality tactician.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Y. How about qpr as well? How has he 'screwed' them? Promotion at the first attempt after inheriting a basket case of a club.

A club who'd avoided relegation the season before and acheived promotion with a wage bill of £78m, while playing incredibly boring football and squeezed through in the play-offs.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A club who'd avoided relegation the season before and acheived promotion with a wage bill of £78m, while playing incredibly boring football and squeezed through in the play-offs.

QPR should have smashed the Championship with the squad they had. The fact that they didn't, and scraped up with an ugly, undeserved win against Derby says plenty about the manager to me. Ok, they got there in the end, which is what counts, but a trained monkey would have expected top six with the players they had.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
QPR should have smashed the Championship with the squad they had. The fact that they didn't, and scraped up with an ugly, undeserved win against Derby says plenty about the manager to me. Ok, they got there in the end, which is what counts, but a trained monkey would have expected top six with the players they had.

His brief was to get QPR promoted which he did. Doesn't matter how. The record books show QPR 1 Derby 0 they make no mention of 'ugly and undeserving.'

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Plus he had to cut out the poor attitude of the squad, when he got there none of the high paid players gave a sh!t about the club. IMO Harry done well to ship them out turn the team around.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Peter Storrie and 'Arry had quite a cosy arrangment between them at Portsmouth of skimming a bonus % for themselves from the proceeds of all player sales at Pompey. Its not illegal, they weren't breaking any rules (as it came out in the court case, the tax on this was paid). But with that in mind, its not overly surprising that there was such an ENORMOUS and constant turnover of many high-profile players at Fratton Park under Redknapp. That "wheeler dealer" reputation was certainly well earned, but then when you're trousering a bonus from each sale, its definitely in your wallets interests to encourage a revolving door policy on the dressing room.

Like I say, not illegal. But I'm not sure its particularly ethical. Put it this way, I wouldn't be overly happy if Sami and Barber were personally coining it from player sales.

The court case focused on Mandaric and HR. When HR joined Pompey was as 'director of football' with a brief amongst other things of player recruitment for which a bonus was agreed of 10% of any profit paid to him for a player he brought to the club. Not unreasonable at all, in the city 'bonuses' linked to performance are widespread. Why should it not apply in football? In fact I'm sure there are plenty of managers with 'profit on transfer dealings' clauses in their contracts. But because it's 'Arry the cockney' it's seen as wrong on here. If was some foreign coach at arsenal I doubt he would be labelled a 'wheeler dealer' on here.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the aaa arrangement both Mandaric and HR were acquitted of all charges.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
The court case focused on Mandaric and HR. When HR joined Pompey was as 'director of football' with a brief amongst other things of player recruitment for which a bonus was agreed of 10% of any profit paid to him for a player he brought to the club. Not unreasonable at all, in the city 'bonuses' linked to performance are widespread. Why should it not apply in football? In fact I'm sure there are plenty of managers with 'profit on transfer dealings' clauses in their contracts. But because it's 'Arry the cockney' it's seen as wrong on here. If was some foreign coach at arsenal I doubt he would be labelled a 'wheeler dealer' on here.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of the aaa arrangement both Mandaric and HR were acquitted of all charges.

Sorry for the 'aaa' just a typo it's not an acronym.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea

I think you find that was only Peter Crouch. And the reason behind it was to do with Pompey owing Harry money or something like that.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
I think you find that was only Peter Crouch. And the reason behind it was to do with Pompey owing Harry money or something like that.

Correct it was Peter crouch. As dir of football his cut was 10% when made manager went to 5%. So Mandaric made a pymnt to him to make up the shortfall. Like I said I'm sure plenty of managers are entitled to a cut of profits in their transfer dealings. I'm sure it's not just exclusive to HR. If it transpired that Wenger had such a clause would he get criticised on here in the same way H R is?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Was it JUST Peter Crouch" then, or 5% / 10% (depending on his role) of profits on all player sales ? I don't recall the exact percentage he was entitled to, but I do recall hearing about this arrangement coming out during the 'troubles' - it was one of the (many) reasons Storrie was so despised by the Pompey faithful, as quite apart from Storries catastrophic incompetence as a chief exec, him and Redknapp were actually profiting personally from these deals.

Perhaps managers further down the scale operating in the lower leagues would be more entitled to a cut of the profits if a player they sold on brought in a decent fee for the club. But for a millionaire managing in the PL ? Like I say, nothing illegal doing, but given the monolithic shambles Portsmouth ended up in, primarily due to the mind-boggling deals players were signed up on there (many under Redknapps watch), I can't say I'd hold him in as high regard as some on here.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we do our best to keep this thread at the top of page one at all times? I'd appreciate it. I like looking at the title.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Correct it was Peter crouch. As dir of football his cut was 10% when made manager went to 5%. So Mandaric made a pymnt to him to make up the shortfall. Like I said I'm sure plenty of managers are entitled to a cut of profits in their transfer dealings. I'm sure it's not just exclusive to HR. If it transpired that Wenger had such a clause would he get criticised on here in the same way H R is?

Arsenal did not go bust, neither are they likely to.

Do you not find it distasteful that Redknapp was in a position to personally profit from the business dealings of Portsmouth whilst they were busily sowing the seeds of a financial calamity which resulted in millions being written off, creditors being stiffed out of money they were owed, and people at the club losing their jobs ?

I'm not laying the blame for all that exclusively at the door of dear old Harry. But I'm sure he did alright out of it.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Arsenal did not go bust, neither are they likely to.

Do you not find it distasteful that Redknapp was in a position to personally profit from the business dealings of Portsmouth whilst they were busily sowing the seeds of a financial calamity which resulted in millions being written off, creditors being stiffed out of money they were owed, and people at the club losing their jobs ?

I'm not laying the blame for all that exclusively at the door of dear old Harry. But I'm sure he did alright out of it.

No. He signed a contract that was offered to him. I'm sure if a thorough a analysis of pompeys finances during redknapps time was carried out any profit he made would probably be a tiny percentage of the millions Pompey owed. The main problem was the transfer fees and wages paid. Sanctioned by chief exec not the manager.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]

it was only peter crouch, he wasnt scamming players and brining 10's of players in and letting them go just for personal gain. it was offered to him (the crouch) deal to make up for something that mandaric man had messed up for harry (financially wise).

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
[MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION]

it was only peter crouch, he wasnt scamming players and brining 10's of players in and letting them go just for personal gain. it was offered to him (the crouch deal) to make up for something that mandaric man had messed up for harry (financially wise) i believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here