Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India Fifth Test - The Oval

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Incredible for a 36 year old (non-slow) bowler.

Looking back over his test career which was stop-start in the early years, with the inevitable injuries for a paceman; I think the ECB and Anderson handled it very well. Plenty of rest for injuries, which may well have given him longevity, still bowling beautifully.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't believe both Cook and Anderson have reached these milestones in such poetic fashion, indeed had Anderson been the one retiring I don't think he could have signed off his career any better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Well done to Cook both in this test and his previous ones.
Well done to Jimmy Anderson the most test wickets by a pace bowler
Well done to Joe Root I have criticised him but today he managed and played his bowlers to perfection.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I would think so but India have already passed the highest winning 4th innings total of 263 which the experts on here said was well beyond them.
Which experts (that you're trying to have a dig at) said that? You said 300 should be enough. Did anyone say 263 was well beyond them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The people who said it will know who they are, they do not need me to highlight the fact or them.. Most people said that as 263 was the previous highest ever run chase at The Oval for a successful 4th Innings 300 would be more than enough. Perhaps without so many runs on the board Root would have played his bowlers differently but with so many runs on the board he did it perfectly.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The people who said it will know who they are, they do not need me to highlight the fact or them.. Most people said that as 263 was the previous highest ever run chase at The Oval for a successful 4th Innings 300 would be more than enough. Perhaps without so many runs on the board Root would have played his bowlers differently but with so many runs on the board he did it perfectly.

Why are you having a dig at people on this thread? Some people thought it was very unlikely that India would make it beyond 250, which seemed like a fair bet yesterday. There's no need to sarcastically mock them as "experts".

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

263 still is the highest run chase at the The Oval.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why are you having a dig at people on this thread? Some people thought it was very unlikely that India would make it beyond 250, which seemed like a fair bet yesterday. There's no need to sarcastically mock them as "experts".

These same people set themselves up as being experts and deride any suggestions from mere spectators like me.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Well... the highest successful run chase, just...

In 1979, India were set 438 to win. Gavaskar scored 221, and they finished on 429-8.

Now THAT was a Test Match.

I always think that when using the highest SUCCESSFUL run chase statistic which is mostly used, it always hides how many runs unsuccessful chases got to. I think this is what fans don't see. They see 263 as the highest run chase at the Oval, then cannot understand why a captain doesn't declare until after they've got 400+ runs on the board.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Well, I'm on the right side of this story BG, as I defended Root's decision not to declare too early.:thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
These same people set themselves up as being experts and deride any suggestions from mere spectators like me.

WTF are you going on about ?

Anything over 250 was always going to be nigh-on impossible to chase. It always has been, not just at the Oval but anywhere. Just because they got over 300 doesn’t mean they’d have got them if they were chasing a smaller number. Our declaration was more time-based than runs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
WTF are you going on about ?

Anything over 250 was always going to be nigh-on impossible to chase. It always has been, not just at the Oval but anywhere. Just because they got over 300 doesn’t mean they’d have got them if they were chasing a smaller number. Our declaration was more time-based than runs.

That is a contradiction of your words.. Had Root declared at 300 as many, me included, said we would have lost. This is best summed up in post 255

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here