Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CMS - The biggest waste of money?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
So on that basis I give CMS until October before a judgement.

And I don't ever really whinge about the club on here but in CMS's case I'm calling a spade a spade. Due to a combination of misuse and over-estimation of the player's abilities he's been an extremely expensive failure.

And if he has a good year this year he's only going to sod off somewhere else anyway, I see no playing reason why he'd want to sign another contract here.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
When he scored a lot of goals at Peterborough they played a different system completely. It was all out attack; that they'd score more goals than the opposition. The build up play was not slow and passing, it was get the ball up forward, and shoot. Their theory was the more shots you had, the more likely you are to score (regardless of where the shots are). Goals from other players having long range shots, keeper parries, CMS puts away the rebound. Balls over the top he'd run on to and finish. Contrast that to what Brighton want, possession football, and slow, methodical build up. In the right system, CMS is a fantastic striker. We just don't play anything like that system.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
When he scored a lot of goals at Peterborough they played a different system completely. It was all out attack; that they'd score more goals than the opposition. The build up play was not slow and passing, it was get the ball up forward, and shoot. Their theory was the more shots you had, the more likely you are to score (regardless of where the shots are). Goals from other players having long range shots, keeper parries, CMS puts away the rebound. Balls over the top he'd run on to and finish. Contrast that to what Brighton want, possession football, and slow, methodical build up. In the right system, CMS is a fantastic striker. We just don't play anything like that system.

CMS cannot score with his left or his head in ANY system

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
CMS might prove us all wrong this season and put some effort in to be a decent goalscorer.
He can put in enough effort to be a top goal scorer, unfortunately he doesn't have the natural ability to do anything about. I, like many others, desperately want CMS to be a success but after 3 seasons ,with just 1 purple patch, he's demonstrated too many times that he lacks composure and ability in front of goal.

Last edited:

Aug 23, 2011
Naylor just tweeted:

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 19m
Looking like relatively limited game time for CMS in final year of his contract. That is the focus of today's match report. #bhafc

£2.5m striker, and three managers haven't found him useful yet. I had hopes this could be his year but Sami's 'We need someone who can score goals' quote isn't filling me with hope.

I feel thats a bit harsh as Sami has only been here 5 mins and is still playing around with various things and he was injured under a lot of Oscars reign and then not match fit too till towards the end of the season

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
That bloke out by the corner flag you mean? We were all obviously grateful for the cross, but what the f*ck was he doing out there in the first place? In the dying seconds, you'd like to think he'd have been in the box, looking for a knock-down or something. Barnes would have been. Sort of says it all about his positional sense. Or lack of same.

This is unbelievable. You're whinging about CMS's position (running the channels, which is one if his strengths) just before he produced the cross of the match that got us into the play offs.

Barnes may well have taken up a different position, but 6 goals in 24 appearances for us suggests that he wouldn't have scored.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
This is unbelievable. You're whinging about CMS's position (running the channels, which is one if his strengths) just before he produced the cross of the match that got us into the play offs.

Barnes may well have taken up a different position, but 6 goals in 24 appearances for us suggests that he wouldn't have scored.

It's unbelievable why? Because CMS lack of positional sense worked in our favour bigtime on one occasion? Ashley Barnes has a striker's instinctive positional sense and is still improving. CMS doesn't and isn't. IMHO, like.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
He missed his peak career period with injuries. He should be raring to go and could very well be a little better, hopefully. I lost patience years ago, after that miss against Burnley. Less complaining and falling over and could put up with a few (50%) of misses.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
You mean his scoring record presumably? There is more to his game though isn't there. And if you want to see if he can be effective against better defenders I'd say his performance against Pique for Scotland against Spain would be a good starting point.

Is there? To my knowledge he has never been a leading assist maker and we haven't seen the midfield score loads because he is occupying or dragging the defence out of position.
The Spain game did they win, he score (genuine question as I don't know and can't be bothered to look it up).

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
Peterborough have the ability to sell their strikers for a huge sum because they play such attacking football which whilst it leads to goals and is entertaining, it hasn't led to them becoming much more than a League One side.

Also, when was the last time you saw The Posh sell a defender for big money? You're experiencing the feeling of being ripped off by P'boro and it's very possible we'll feel the same if Dwight Gayle has a poor season.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I feel thats a bit harsh as Sami has only been here 5 mins and is still playing around with various things and he was injured under a lot of Oscars reign and then not match fit too till towards the end of the season

True, Oscar season was a little harsh to judge but his injury doesn't improve his price. Sami may well find his form, and I hope he does. I was just going by the quote.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Peterborough have the ability to sell their strikers for a huge sum because they play such attacking football which whilst it leads to goals and is entertaining, it hasn't led to them becoming much more than a League One side.

Also, when was the last time you saw The Posh sell a defender for big money?

Quite. For a couple of consecutive seasons during the CMS era their figures used to read something ludicrous like Goals For: 100 Goals Against: 100 :lol:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Give CMS until the end of August...if he hasn't scored 6 goals, ride until dawn and then execute him!

He'll come good this season. Just you wait.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Naylor just tweeted:

Andy Naylor ‏@AndyNaylorArgus 19m
Looking like relatively limited game time for CMS in final year of his contract. That is the focus of today's match report. #bhafc

£2.5m striker, and three managers haven't found him useful yet. I had hopes this could be his year but Sami's 'We need someone who can score goals' quote isn't filling me with hope.

Without doubt a waste of money so far - sub this season

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
CMS whole game is based on running onto a through ball past flat-footed defenders. Might work in League One but not enough flat-footed defenders in the Championship for him to be very effective.

We're always told this, but every time he's actually got through and had a 1-on-1 with the keeper he's hit it straight at him. So it feels like, anyway.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Tbf the only reason we got into the play-offs was because of Barnes. He obviously saw the 20 threads about him scoring the winner against Reading that would send us into the play-offs and so he stepped up and did it ... oh wait hang on, he didn't, it was mackail-smith with the best cross of last season that got us there. Why can't people wait until the season actually starts before making a judgment on someone who was our top scorer despite picking up an injury and missing the rest of the season and then most of last season. As for Barnes, i liked him but he was frustrating and if he is so much better how come he was 3rd top scorer that season despite playing more than mackail-smith and being a **** getting sent off for tripping up a ref

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Tbf the only reason we got into the play-offs was because of Barnes. He obviously saw the 20 threads about him scoring the winner against Reading that would send us into the play-offs and so he stepped up and did it ... oh wait hang on, he didn't, it was mackail-smith with the best cross of last season that got us there. Why can't people wait until the season actually starts before making a judgment on someone who was our top scorer despite picking up an injury and missing the rest of the season and then most of last season. As for Barnes, i liked him but he was frustrating and if he is so much better how come he was 3rd top scorer that season despite playing more than mackail-smith and being a **** getting sent off for tripping up a ref

CMS has been here two years. People are perfectly entitled to have an opinion about his ability from those two years. You are perfectly entitled to disagree with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here