Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] *** The Official Match Day Thread: England v Panama ***

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For all you believers:thumbsup:
giphy.gif

https://images.google.co.uk/imgres?...BM:&vet=1&w=240&h=320&hl=en-gb&source=sh/x/im

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey.

Ok, it was only Panama, but how many times have we struggled to beat weaker teams? Even in qualification matches we don't usually put teams to the sword like that. 2nd half was more of an anti-climax, but that was understandable.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Word reaches me from Vienna (an Austrian language student I had a teenage dalliance with in the 1990s on Bexhill beach and we've stayed in touch all these years because we secretly both still love each other) that Austrian TV are talking about England winning the world cup.........

I'm not sure, but certainly I think we're better than the Mexicans, who could only draw and win 1-0 at home in qualifying to Panama and they've beaten South Korea who also lost to Sweden and I'm really drunk so there may be some truth in the Austrian punditry opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Word reaches me from Vienna (an Austrian language student I had a teenage dalliance with in the 1990s on Bexhill beach and we've stayed in touch all these years because we secretly both still love each other) that Austrian TV are talking about England winning the world cup.........

I'm not sure, but certainly I think we're better than the Mexicans, who could only draw and win 1-0 at home in qualifying to Panama and they've beaten South Korea who also lost to Sweden and I'm really drunk so there may be some truth in the Austrian punditry opinion.

Austrians talking about being best in the world? Wouldn’t happen in Germany.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Although I'm a Jock, 40 years of living here make me an Engerland fan in International Competitions.

I actually feared the worst in the early stages when I saw how cynical and disgusting Panama were as it looked like, at times, I had inadvertently strayed into an all-in wrestling feed !

That apart, England generally played really well although there were some defensive issues where the ball was given away too easily and there were moments at the back where we would have been punished by a better opposition.

Their goal was however in a league of it's own in terms of it's horror, we set up far too far forward and you could see it coming, so much undefended space. Definitely one that was avoidable !

But a great performance against a team set on cheating their way to survival so ' Well done England '

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
To make the day complete after we beat Panama Lewis Hamilton wins the French Grand Prix and England beat Australia 5.= 0 in the one day crickey series.

good weekend all round BG

we beat the dutch afrikaans at rugby yesterday

and the kiwis in the northern version

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Their goal was however in a league of it's own in terms of it's horror, we set up far too far forward and you could see it coming, so much undefended space. Definitely one that was avoidable !'

Yes, but after being told by Southgate at half-time not to score any more goals so we can safely come second in the group, Kane's accident with the back of his heel caused concerns, and so the subs were sent on with instructions to tell the team to let one in. If we're drawing with Belgium with five minutes to go, expect some needless bookings to be sought by the England players!

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Yes, but after being told by Southgate at half-time not to score any more goals so we can safely come second in the group, Kane's accident with the back of his heel caused concerns, and so the subs were sent on with instructions to tell the team to let one in. If we're drawing with Belgium with five minutes to go, expect some needless bookings to be sought by the England players!

Really !

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So makes both England and Hamilton having a non taxing experience with Panama.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Probably not - but the way the game panned out followed my prediction halfway through the first half, and as it came true bit-by-bit it gradually convinced those I was watching the game with that it was all planned!

Fair Enough ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I remember a 1970's match. yes, involving a south american team. There was kicking and scratching and play acting and some really nasty shenanigans.......that was just in the warm up!
66 World Cup, Argentina were a dirty team. So glad we beat them.
Blimey.

Ok, it was only Panama, but how many times have we struggled to beat weaker teams? Even in qualification matches we don't usually put teams to the sword like that. 2nd half was more of an anti-climax, but that was understandable.

Panama knocked the USA out of the qualifying rounds.

We came home from two weeks in France, last night, and the French have been very complimentary about us, and Kane in particular.
We even had a phone call after the match this afternoon, from friends over there who had been watching, to com granulate us.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Top bantz

[tweet]1010941602339188736[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Fair enough. The first World Cup I can remember was 1994. Uruguay were filthy back in the day (and still are to a much lesser extent). I can’t recall anything as cynical as Panama in the first half today.

Also at the 1994 WC, Italian thug Tassotti deliberately smashed the face of gifted Spanish midfielder Luis Enrique, resulting in the WC's longest ban of 8 games.

With Brazil's Leonardo receiving a long ban too, for fracturing the skull of USA's Ramos.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

That's a lovely romantic story.
What's his name?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here