Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We'll get the red carpet dry cleaned in anticipation! I won't commit to the Worthing 10K (or anything really) until I'm confident that I'm OK calf-wise. Over the past couple of years I've tended to do events where you can just rock (or limp) up on the day. Those tri events sound as though they are in fantastic settings. Are you digging out an old bike or investing in something new and carbon? I'm another member of the Sink-Like-a -Stone swimming club so no tris for me. But a tri relay is good fun..............as long as you don't get stuck with the swim leg.

I must start swimming soon. Will start the daily press ups again to build up something on the skinny marathon arms to help as paddles. The bike seems new but I've had it 14 years old. It's a beautiful piece of machinery that I've recabled thanks to advice from the NSC Cycling Geeks. It's one of the lightest aluminum (Cannondale U.S.) bikes around and made before Cannondale slipped downmarket. Shimano Ultegra components. Light as a feather until you put the full water bottle on. You won't see it locked up outside the Amex.

Decided to pay extra for the scenic courses. Used to do 4 a year but suddenly stopped 8 years ago. Thrashed Dermot Murnaghan at London in 2005. My old rival (school friends recent score 12-12 after 24 tris) is setting us up for an Olympic Challenge next year as part of our 60th celebrations.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I must start swimming soon. Will start the daily press ups again to build up something on the skinny marathon arms to help as paddles. The bike seems new but I've had it 14 years old. It's a beautiful piece of machinery that I've recabled thanks to advice from the NSC Cycling Geeks. It's one of the lightest aluminum (Cannondale U.S.) bikes around and made before Cannondale slipped downmarket. Shimano Ultegra components. Light as a feather until you put the full water bottle on. You won't see it locked up outside the Amex.

Decided to pay extra for the scenic courses. Used to do 4 a year but suddenly stopped 8 years ago. Thrashed Dermot Murnaghan at London in 2005. My old rival (school friends recent score 12-12 after 24 tris) is setting us up for an Olympic Challenge next year as part of our 60th celebrations.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on. 24 tris is pretty impressive.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Following the marathon, initially I didn't have much energy to run. Although I didn't really ache or hurt at all, I just felt a bit weak. It took me about 10 days to get over that. Now I just haven't got much motivation as it all feels a bit pointless now the big goal is out the way. I think I've only done about 45km in total since marathon day.

However, I've got Edinburgh Marathon in four weeks so I need to sort myself out. The aim is to go big this week and next week, getting about 130km on the clock in 14 days before winding down again for Edinburgh.

I cannot wait for Edinburgh to be over and to spend the summer simply focusing on getting faster. All this distance has become a bit tiresome.

I know exactly how you feel. All these distance runs give me a great sense of achievement, but they really do start to grind me down after months of training. I'm looking forward to getting this weekend's marathon out of the way. Like you, I want to start doing some speed work in the summer. I still haven't got a 5K time on the board!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I feel the opposite, I'm gutted I can't run at the moment. My groin reacted badly to the parkrun on satuday, so I'm going to take a proper rest over the next couple of weeks and hope it clears up. It feels like it's getting better, it just needs time which I'm not really giving it at the moment. I want to get back into marathon training so I can target a race somewhere or other, it's too soon for Edinburgh but I want to run at least one or two more this year.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Ran a small local 10k yesterday, the Flitwick 10k. Was nice to do, lots of running clubs, so it was a bit more serious than the Brighton 10k. Managed a new pb of just under 47 minutes, with a time of 46 minutes 59 seconds. Over 90 seconds quicker than Brighton, but my knee is in pieces today as the course was a bit hilly in places and I can't cope with running down hill at any speed - obviously struggle going up hill as well. Hopefully I will recover in time for the London 10k at the end of May.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Ran a small local 10k yesterday, the Flitwick 10k. Was nice to do, lots of running clubs, so it was a bit more serious than the Brighton 10k. Managed a new pb of just under 47 minutes, with a time of 46 minutes 59 seconds. Over 90 seconds quicker than Brighton, but my knee is in pieces today as the course was a bit hilly in places and I can't cope with running down hill at any speed - obviously struggle going up hill as well. Hopefully I will recover in time for the London 10k at the end of May.

Good improvement on a harder course. Will we see you at the Phoenix 10k in July?
That's possibly the quads, causing knee problem. Lie on floor, breath into the core, reach back to grab ankle, bring the heel up to touch bottom, feel stretch in thighs for 30 seconds. Repeat with other leg. Stop if any pain in knee. Frozen peas afterwards won't do any harm.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Got a niggling shin splint so just tried to arrange a Physio appointment with Paul at Corals at Hove.
Nothing this week, then the news he’s emigrating to Canada! Noooooo!
Good luck to him though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got a niggling shin splint so just tried to arrange a Physio appointment with Paul at Corals at Hove.
Nothing this week, then the news he’s emigrating to Canada! Noooooo!
Good luck to him though.

Can't you divert the course of your ship!
Shame he's off indeed. I'll have to work on more stretching warming up and cooling down.

Last edited:

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Right, I'm in the ballot for London next year... I look forward to the rejection email in October...

Me too - going to sign up for Brighton as well, and then in the unlikely event that I get through in the London ballot can convert the Brighton entry to BM10k as part of the taper for London.
Am also considering submitting a GFA application for Boston when it opens, and if I get that as well, then I'll really have some difficult choices to make.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Me too - going to sign up for Brighton as well, and then in the unlikely event that I get through in the London ballot can convert the Brighton entry to BM10k as part of the taper for London.
Am also considering submitting a GFA application for Boston when it opens, and if I get that as well, then I'll really have some difficult choices to make.....

Good luck. Boston would have to be the one. I noticed you were within the GFA time for that.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I feel the opposite, I'm gutted I can't run at the moment. My groin reacted badly to the parkrun on satuday, so I'm going to take a proper rest over the next couple of weeks and hope it clears up. It feels like it's getting better, it just needs time which I'm not really giving it at the moment. I want to get back into marathon training so I can target a race somewhere or other, it's too soon for Edinburgh but I want to run at least one or two more this year.

I am doing Edinburgh and also Loch Ness 23rd September. Looking forward to Edinburgh now that I have recovered from the Brighton/London combo (I notice they are two weeks apart next year as Easter Sunday falls between them). I am in the London ballot, not doing Brighton at the moment (may crack and enter!) as want to look as some diffrent races next year. Considering the Race to the Towers Ultra next June and possiby Beachy Head marathon later that year. Doing the mid Sussex Marathon over this coming bank holiday weekend, it will be nice to split it over 3 days rather than all in one go!!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It's quite weird sticking to a training plan. First run of the week since parkrun – 5.5 miles that was deemed an 'easy run', but I decided to make it a bit more interesting and chuck some negative splits in. Bike/swim double tomorrow, then a 40-minute interval run on Friday. Seven miles on Saturday and that's it for the week. It's actually quite difficult being restrained, as I would normally go much further on a run. But training six days a week will probably – in a few weeks – take it's toll and make me thankful for the short stuff!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
It's quite weird sticking to a training plan. First run of the week since parkrun – 5.5 miles that was deemed an 'easy run', but I decided to make it a bit more interesting and chuck some negative splits in. Bike/swim double tomorrow, then a 40-minute interval run on Friday. Seven miles on Saturday and that's it for the week. It's actually quite difficult being restrained, as I would normally go much further on a run. But training six days a week will probably – in a few weeks – take it's toll and make me thankful for the short stuff!

When I first read this I thought an ill disciplined Bobkin pacing effort. :lol:

Then I read your Strava account and it is a great disciplined work out. Think I'll copy it this morning on the easy 5 mile run and will aim at a steady decrease from 8:50 to 8:40.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still on the crocks bench here with piriformis syndrome. Not run for about 8 weeks, SDW100 plans binned. Seems to be a typical 3-6 month recovery, would hope to be near the shorter end of that.....went for acupuncture this week which has resulted in a very obvious improvement(have tried this in the past for other injuries, has always helped, sometimes massively). Trying not to lose too much base fitness by using the elliptical trainer now and again but it’s very boring and not as effective. Jealous of all of you, especially those getting bored/drained by long distance training........would love to be doing back to back 4-5 hour efforts every weekend (as I would be if I wasn’t crocked) !

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
When I first read this I thought an ill disciplined Bobkin pacing effort. [emoji38]

Then I read your Strava account and it is a great disciplined work out. Think I'll copy it this morning on the easy 5 mile run and will aim at a steady decrease from 8:50 to 8:40.
There's no way I could keep my splits that tight! Good luck. Ride/swim done already, which went pretty well. Good luck on your run.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Still on the crocks bench here with piriformis syndrome. Not run for about 8 weeks, SDW100 plans binned. Seems to be a typical 3-6 month recovery, would hope to be near the shorter end of that.....went for acupuncture this week which has resulted in a very obvious improvement(have tried this in the past for other injuries, has always helped, sometimes massively). Trying not to lose too much base fitness by using the elliptical trainer now and again but it’s very boring and not as effective. Jealous of all of you, especially those getting bored/drained by long distance training........would love to be doing back to back 4-5 hour efforts every weekend (as I would be if I wasn’t crocked) !
I never thought I would say this, but I can now see the benefits of swimming to aid core fitness. I actually feel really good after it this morning, even though I'm a crap swimmer. Missing the long runs, but the variety is keeping things interesting...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
There's no way I could keep my splits that tight! Good luck. Ride/swim done already, which went pretty well. Good luck on your run.

I had a master plan of incorporating strides at the end of each mile to just make each mile quicker in turn. BUT mathematically it became a nightmare. Had to remember each mile split and add them together and then add on the current mile requirement to get the time I had to get on the watch. Hence mile 4 screwed up as my head started to 'expoliate'. Nothing like a stress free run......................
8:56, 8;56, 8:49,8:53, 8:40

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I had a master plan of incorporating strides at the end of each mile to just make each mile quicker in turn. BUT mathematically it became a nightmare. Had to remember each mile split and add them together and then add on the current mile requirement to get the time I had to get on the watch. Hence mile 4 screwed up as my head started to 'expoliate'. Nothing like a stress free run......................
8:56, 8;56, 8:49,8:53, 8:40

That's pretty decent! Like I say, I wouldn't be able to do it – you've seen me pace around Hove Park and that's only 1km splits to worry about...

At least you had nice weather :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here