Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] "Comments" below Argus articles

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
It's like the comments of a lot of YouTube videos...the golden rule is 'don't scroll down'.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
And you haven't read any of the comments from the frothing at the mouth right wing loonies on here ???
I don't really bother too much with the politics threads Ernest, like real politics it seems to be all about point scoring rather than actually helping one another.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
It's really badly moderated. I've sometimes seen such deeply insensitive comments on there I've been compelled to report them. For instance if there's a story about a child or teenager who's been killed in an accident or in an assault it's quite normal to see a load of comments criticising and questioning the parents' parenting skills for allowing their child to be in the situation which led to them being killed, even if the circumstances of the child's death had nothing to do with any irresponsibility or neglect on the part of the parents whatsoever. I just imagine the grieving parents reading the article and coming across all those toxic comments. The Argus don't seem to self-police the comments and seem quite happy for those comments to be left on there unless they are reported. I know they cant keep an eye on all the comments but there are certain articles that you know are going to attract the vermin and which will have the potential to cause extreme distress to anyone remotely connected to the subject of the article.

A lot of it comes down to lack of resources.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't really bother too much with the politics threads Ernest, like real politics it seems to be all about point scoring rather than actually helping one another.

I see them more as who can shout the loudest while wearing noise cancelling earphones.

I have no idea what anybody gets out of contributing on NSC's many, many, political threads.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A few sick people post there, involved in very personal warfare against each other for many years. Although they spitefully comment on absolutely everything, I noticed they're split into three camps based on politics:
1. Labour supporters who hate the Green Party and Lucas with a passion.
2. Green supporters who hate Labour with a passion.
3. Some hang-em types.

Don't think for one minute that the pro Labour and Green posters are nice people, making intelligent comments. Far from it. They're as hateful as anyone else there.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
And you haven't read any of the comments from the frothing at the mouth right wing loonies on here ???

A few sick people post there, involved in very personal warfare against each other for many years. Although they spitefully comment on absolutely everything, I noticed they're split into three camps based on politics:
3. Some hang-em types.

Don't think for one minute that the pro Labour and Green posters are nice people, making intelligent comments. Far from it. They're as hateful as anyone else there.

Indeed. From the very few times I have felt masochistic enough to delve into the political threads on here, it's mostly in-house fighting between left wing nutters that sends me on my way.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Makes me laugh when Naylor goes on about stuff written on here. Has he ever read the comments on his own website?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why do people use politics to get nasty?

Alot of people won't truly listen to the opinion of others or really have a look at policies put forward.

"I 'ate the Tories, just like my Dad", or you could substitute the word "Labour". I don't think always voting for the same party as your Dad did, is a badge of honour to be proud of. Smacks of a lifetime of blinkered, rigid thinking.

Last edited:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
3. Some hang-em types.

I think you forgot the anti-cyclist loons !

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It's like the comments of a lot of YouTube videos...the golden rule is 'don't scroll down'.
That golden rule applies to almost every comments section on any website.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
They're in (3) I think.

I know the types you mean. Commenting that they hope cyclists are run over "coz they don't pay VED, fuel duty and motor insurance". The Argus is rife with them.

You will find them after any article whatsoever, where the word "cycle" appears (stolen cycles, charity rides, accidents involving cycles etc) Apparently all of us cyclists always go through red traffic lights or ride on the pavement as well as our other faults you have mentioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here