Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Rodney Bewes dies aged 79

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
For some reason reading this thread made me feel very homesick.

It also made me realise that no matter how much money American TV companies throw at their comedy shows they will never ever produce a gem like this.

RIP Bob

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I remember the line when one of them was done for drink driving.
Blood or urine, they were asked at the police station when required to give a sample.
Neither, I’ll just have a cup of tea he said!

I remember that episode. Bob had to give a sample but Terry offered to give his instead without telling Bob he’d had ten pints already.

My god, Bob said, it’s got a head to it......!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The falling out between the two leads was mirrored in other sitcoms of that time: just as their characters were at daggers drawn on screen so Alf Garnett couldn't stand the 'Scouse git' in real life and Steptoe senior (Wilfred Bramble) didn't get on at all with Harry H Corbett. But Terry and Bob were mates on screen so it seems even more odd that they fell out!

It wasn't quite the same as the others - Bolam and Bewes fell out after the series ended, they were good mates throughout the series. In truth, it wasn't really a falling out, it was all one way:Bolam refused to talk to Bewes, much to the latter's sadness.

It was a superb sitcom: my favourite of all time. It was funny but it was more than that, it said so much about male friendship, about the class system and about nostalgia too. There was a subtlety there that no other sitcoms had,

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I totally share all the affectionate tributes to RB. I can recall The Likely Lads but this was a case of the sequel (Whatever Happened to ....) being much better than the original. James Bolam and RB played off each other superbly and the writing captured so much of its era beautifully. Just about my favourite sitcom.

The falling out between the two leads was mirrored in other sitcoms of that time: just as their characters were at daggers drawn on screen so Alf Garnett couldn't stand the 'Scouse git' in real life and Steptoe senior (Wilfred Bramble) didn't get on at all with Harry H Corbett. But Terry and Bob were mates on screen so it seems even more odd that they fell out!

Not sure that any series (or just about anything on TV) ever captured the 'mates' relationship so well. (James Bolam lives in a posh village in West Sussex these days; that seems odd too as he should be supping pints of mild and bitter in Gateshead or the like.)

I could tell you a lot about James Bolam, he used to drink in a pub l frequented in Weybridge twenty odd years ago, but this isn't the time, place, or thread for it . . .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For some reason reading this thread made me feel very homesick.

It also made me realise that no matter how much money American TV companies throw at their comedy shows they will never ever produce a gem like this.

RIP Bob

But then, Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, even though they're based in the US, are two of the UK's finest-ever script writers. Especially when working together.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, whatever happened to 'The Likely Lads'? The sequel, 'Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads' is often repeated on satellite channels, but never the original, 'The Likely Lads' - whatever happened to that?

Oh well, another icon from my younger days has passed - RIP Rodney. And I hope when James Bolam joins you (hopefully not too soon) you two can make it up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
RIP Bob. The Likely Lads was a great series, much loved, unique.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Very sad news. 'Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads' is one of my all-time favourite sitcoms, with a brilliant theme tune. Despite the writing, the brilliant acting and effortless comic timing I think nowadays modern viewers would see it as a bit dated and slow; it was a sort of 'Last of the Summer wine' only with younger blokes.

I always lived with the hope that one day Bolam and Bewes would patch up their differences and they'd do a follow up, a sort of "Whatever happened to the Likely Lads next?" series, following the characters into middle and then old age. Bewes apparently wanted to do something like that, but Bolam apparently never wanted to even speak about the series, let alone revisit it. Will never happen now of course. :( Shame.

RIP Robert Andrew Scarborough Ferris

("Scarborough?" :lolol:)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I always lived with the hope that one day Bolam and Bewes would patch up their differences and they'd do a follow up, a sort of "Whatever happened to the Likely Lads next?" series, following the characters into middle and then old age. Bewes apparently wanted to do something like that, but Bolam apparently never wanted to even speak about the series, let alone revisit it.Will never happen now. :( Shame.

It wasn't just Bewes wanted this. I read an interview some years back that Clement and La Frenais had an idea for a third series, set in Thatcherite Britain where Terry was a successful businessman and Bob had been made redundant. It never even reached the drawing board, such was Bolam's opposition to it. I'm sure it would have been great.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Bolam just said on the radio that there never was a falling out and that it was all made up?!

Maybe now it is the thread [MENTION=13683]Cowfold Seagull[/MENTION] ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A mate of mine became absolutely obsessed with Brigit Forsyth (Thelma) when she dressed up as a Pixie in one episode. ???

I see James Bolam now & again on the Train down to Billingshurst, I think he lives in Wisborough Green.

The full erotic potential of Thelma was never explored, but that Pixie outfit certainly hinted at something...............It was in the Christmas special (hence the fancy dress outfit) and if we are all very luck it might be shown again this year. Pull the curtains....................... It was a great episode.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
A mate of mine became absolutely obsessed with Brigit Forsyth (Thelma) when she dressed up as a Pixie in one episode. ???

I see James Bolam now & again on the Train down to Billingshurst, I think he lives in Wisborough Green.

The full erotic potential of Thelma was never explored, but that Pixie outfit certainly hinted at something...............It was in the Christmas special (hence the fancy dress outfit) and if we are all very lucky it might be shown again this year. Pull the curtains....................... It was a great episode.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I believe James Bolam has lived in Wisborough Green for many years and his long time partner/wife is the actress Susan Jameson. I was once in the small grocery store in the village ( got to be 35 years ago ) talking to the manager and I heard that unmistakeable voice say..." have you got any bread Mr. Spooner? "
Rodney Bewes was a regular at Craven Cottage, so I assume he resided in the London area.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
"Whatever Happened To..." was with Porridge my favourite sitcom. Bewes was perfect as the upwardly mobile aspiring middle classer with his car, semi D on the new estate and fondue parties.

The north seemed like a different country to me as a soft, southern teenager.

RIP Bob, man.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I believe James Bolam has lived in Wisborough Green for many years and his long time partner/wife is the actress Susan Jameson. I was once in the small grocery store in the village ( got to be 35 years ago ) talking to the manager and I heard that unmistakeable voice say..." have you got any bread Mr. Spooner? "
Rodney Bewes was a regular at Craven Cottage, so I assume he resided in the London area.

Just read that he lived in Henley-on-Thames.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here