Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Penalty Charge Notice advice

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
After some advice here please, good folk of NSC

I went to a restaurant in Hemel Hemsted and parked in a privately operated car park (4 hours free parking for customers)

I've since received a penalty charge notice for £60 and had my appeal to POPLA declined. The fine now stands at £100.

Since this was declined, I've come to realise that having typed in my reg number on the device at the restaurant, the parking operator has it on record with the last digit of my reg being incorrect. The sign did say customers should enter their reg number correctly.

I've gone back to them with a copy of my receipt and debit card transaction to prove that I was a customer. I also mentioned that they wouldn't have captured on CCTV, the vehicle reg they have on record. I've asked them to use their discretion and judgement in this instance and overturn the fine. No such luck.

So, what do I do? Cough up or refuse to pay out of principle and risk incurring charges / debt recovery?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I went to a restaurant in Hemel Hemsted and parked in a privately operated car park (4 hours free parking for customers)

I've since received a penalty charge notice for £60 and had my appeal to POPLA declined. The fine now stands at £100.

Since this was declined, I've come to realise that having typed in my reg number on the device at the restaurant, the parking operator has it on record with the last digit of my reg being incorrect. The sign did say customers should enter their reg number correctly.

I've gone back to them with a copy of my receipt and debit card transaction to prove that I was a customer. I also mentioned that they wouldn't have captured on CCTV, the vehicle reg they have on record. I've asked them to use their discretion and judgement in this instance and overturn the fine. No such luck.

So, what do I do? Cough up or refuse to pay out of principle and risk incurring charges / debt recovery?

Get the restaurant involved

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

http://www.qualitysolicitors.com/small-claims/parking-ticket

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...g-parking-tickets/appealing-a-parking-ticket/

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Get the restaurant involved
I've contacted the restaurant. They said they can offer customers who incur pcn's a £60 gift voucher. I said I'd rather just get the fined overturned and move on.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Firstly, it wasn't a penalty charge notice if it was a private car park.

Secondly, I'm sure [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] will help you further.

But it sounds like you're giving them way too much info to me!

Are you sure you saw a sign?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've contacted the restaurant. They said they can offer customers who incur pcn's a £60 gift voucher. I said I'd rather just get the fined overturned and move on.

Leave a review on Tripadvisor about their shit attitude.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

So are you being fined for over staying the 4 hours or just for typing in your reg number wrong?

albionite

May 20, 2009

Had loads of these ignore them. Only if council or police issues them pay up straight away.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Just typing the last digit of my reg number wrong. I was there about 1.5 hours

Jeez that sucks. What a bunch of @rsewipes. I'd be very tempted to tell then where to stick their fine.

Not sure if it applies the same, but Mrs P got a notice once for overstaying by about 2 minutes in LIDL car park in Brighton, for which they wanted £85 I think it was. As many websites suggest we simply ignored it, and about 5 increasingly threatening letters until eventually they gave up and we heard nothing from them again.

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So the car park is owned by the restaurant you ate at, and they're wanting to charge you for typing your number in incorrectly?

Are you ****ing kidding me!?

Point out to them that you were entitled to park there, and you won't be paying extra under any circumstances. They can either cancel the charge, or you will tell everyone how shit their restaurant is and you still won't pay. ****ing ****ers.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
On the same subject, Lidl in Crowborough have started a system of scanning your reciept and typing in your car reg when leaving to avoid a fine. Never seen this before although they said a few supermarkets in Eastbourne were starting it. What's the law there should I accidntly forget or insert wrong car number, something my Mum is likely to do every time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The solicitors link seems quite interesting, in saying that private parking companies are not allowed to fine or penalise drivers who break their rules.
Recent court decisions have meant that private car parks can charge a fair price for parking if the driver didn't pay. That's not the case here though, the OP met the rules, it just so happens there was a typo with the reg number.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
On the same subject, Lidl in Crowborough have started a system of scanning your reciept and typing in your car reg when leaving to avoid a fine. Never seen this before although they said a few supermarkets in Eastbourne were starting it. What's the law there should I accidntly forget or insert wrong car number, something my Mum is likely to do every time.

Lidl in Eastbourne is very close to Tollgate junior school and the car park was overrun at school times by lazy parents so they introduced this.

larus

Firstly, it wasn't a penalty charge notice if it was a private car park.

Secondly, I'm sure [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] will help you further.

But it sounds like you're giving them way too much info to me!

Are you sure you saw a sign?
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] has helped me in the past and knows his stuff.

I've had 2 different parking 'issues'. One was in my own parking bay as the residents association implemented a scheme. Eventually, after threatening the residents association with legal action they excluded my bay from being monitored. They now realise they have no authority over residents property.

The second issue was with my son parking in Sainsburys and getting a picket for overstaying,

I would suggest sending him a pm and asking his advice.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Personally ...I'd suggest you contact 'The Restaurant' advising them that you have been instructed that under the circumstances, and your proof of purchase, not to comply. And that if their agent doesn't withdraw within seven days, you will be using all means at your disposal to bring their treatment to public attention by any legal means available. ie Trip Advisor and general forums.
I'd also remind them that should you need to attend any hearings or court appearances you will be claiming punitive expenses for your time, as you quite clearly haven't broken any parking restrictions. In fact your stay was less than half your permitted time of 4 hours. And that you look forward to hearing from them by return. :rant:

If you don't get any joy, post the name of the Restaurant on here. I'm sure NSC users (me included) would be happy to add input to Trip Advisors site.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you don't get any joy, post the name of the Restaurant on here. I'm sure NSC users (me included) would be happy to add input to Trip Advisors site.
:lol: I'm in!

Now I hope the restaurant tell you they won't let you off and they want their money. I'd then like you to ask them to reconsider tomorrow, when they have hundreds of shit reviews :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here