Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Duchess of Cambridge

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Wills has returned with the kids to kiss the new baby.
The kids are still in school uniform so they must have had no time to go back to the hice.
Wills wears driving glasses.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I give you two democratically elected Presidents who are accountable to the people - Putin and Assad. Trump not far behind.

Assad won his last two elections with a 99% majority. Putin - also rigged. Trump - possibly rigged.

Point is, if its voted for by the people then we only have ourselves or others to blame if it goes t*ts up. A democratically elected head of state would have more responsibility and not just be a token figure.

Im really not sure if we can call ourselves a democracy with a non democratically elected head of state?

At the moment we only have biology to rely on. Biology could produce a right nutter!

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Who pay for private treatment therefore not using up NHS resources. Freedom of choice.

Private treatment provided by staff who were trained by the NHS using taxpayers money.

NHS resources that have depleted because of the staff who we, the taxpayers, have trained, and who have buggered off to get paid more in the private sector.

(brother in law needed op. Was told by consultant at NHS minimum 6 month wait. "Or you can come to my private clinic and I can do it for you next Thursday")

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
PLEASE tell me this is a true story. :lol:

Yes it is, I used to live in Ascot, one Sunday I was walking on public footpath that went over land owned by The Sultan Of Brunei and she was just there, with 2 security guards, we spoke for a minute or two, the guards were very edgy, telling me to stick to the path, as I looked down over the polo field to the house, they were all there, at a very posh BBQ, Prince Andrew was having a golf lesson from Colin Montgomerie.
The Queen must have just walked away for a stroll.
As I left her to walk on I said " thank you, you have reminded me to get some stamps"
She was amused.
This was about 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yes it is, I used to live in Ascot, one Sunday I was walking on public footpath that went over land owned by The Sultan Of Brunei and she was just there, with 2 security guards, we spoke for a minute or two, the guards were very edgy, telling me to stick to the path, as I looked down over the polo field to the house, they were all there, Prince Andrew was having a golf lesson from Colin Montgomerie.
As I left her to walk on I said " thank you, you have reminded me to get some stamps"
She was amused.

Amused? I bet she laughed her tits off!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Quite. The argument that Charlie doesn't get any public money, only stands up, it you are happy to fully accept that someone being given an £800 million, 200 sq mile estate, just because they were (first-)born into a family that decided to commandeer it from the nation 700 years ago, is entirely right and proper.

............. to the Tower with him!!!!!

(but good point).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Amid all the anti Royal Family stuff on here, have any of the Republicans really thought about the alternative to a monarchy? As President we could have Comrade Corbyn, Mournful May or any of a host of utterly useless politicians AND we would would still have to support them and their entourages from our taxes. God forbid

Yes. At least he/she would be elected.

And indubitably cheaper.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Amid all the anti Royal Family stuff on here, have any of the Republicans really thought about the alternative to a monarchy? As President we could have Comrade Corbyn, Mournful May or any of a host of utterly useless politicians AND we would would still have to support them and their entourages from our taxes. God forbid

Having an elected President as head of state seems to work perfectly well in Ireland, France etc. And a good deal cheaper than our system (especially when taking into account the benefits of all that land and the Duchy businesses creating value for the NHS, Schools etc rather than keeping Prince Charles in toothpaste squeezers).

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I give you two democratically elected Presidents who are accountable to the people - Putin and Assad. Trump not far behind.

Right. Because if we decided to become a republic we would DEFINITELY end up with Putin or Assad. In the same way that if we vote in a left leaning government we would DEFINITELY turn into Venezuela.

Such silly arguments.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
I may be wrong but don’t the royal family account for vast amounts in tourism revenue that goes into the countries coffers?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Look at them! Just look at them! View attachment 96311

The chap holding the bottle of champagne was speaking to one of the journalists earlier. That doll he's holding speaks and moves its eyes. It's utterly terrifying. He was also leading some weird "three cheers to the royal baby" song that he'd presumably come up with, having camped out for weeks.

I note that the bookies love to give odds on events surrounding royal births: I wonder what odds Paddy Power would give you that he's single?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I may be wrong but don’t the royal family account for vast amounts in tourism revenue that goes into the countries coffers?

Of the inhabited residencies, Windsor castle was ranked highest at 23rd in terms of revenue generation by visit London. Ahead of it was Stonehenge

Paris generates more money from tourism than London.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
No problem with the Royal Family really. They do bring a lot of tourist money in and the Queen is a decent figurehead.

But the utterly sycophantic way the press report everything about them drives me mad. The world will stop revolving tonight on the news as this stuff is reported as if everything else suddenly becomes irrelevant. And if anyone else in the country said some of things Philip has come up with they would be arrested, but because its Philip, it’s “funny”.

And I would have rather more respect for the lot of them if they actually went out and got jobs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Having an elected President as head of state seems to work perfectly well in Ireland, France etc. And a good deal cheaper than our system

how many republics have the French had now? the cost of their palaces etc and presidents (past ones get millions) are apparently more than our palaces and monarch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Surprised Diane Abbott is down there, always thought she would be more of a Republican!

Impeding sense of responsibility spurred by the realisation of what will be required once labour gain power?

Rather peevish and mean-spirited thread, this, sometimes funny but occasionally sexist and offensively so...with the noteworthy exception of the words of the wise [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]....:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here