Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zaha

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Yet with 5 games to go, you are still a point below us as you have been all season. Must be gutting after half a decade head start, hundreds of millions spent and still be on the same level as us. Yes you're probably finish just above us but lets not beat around the bush. You are very average. And as your form suggests with no Zaha you'd be below West Brom. Bang average team.

You know as well as I do that we've had one of the worst injury crisis' in Premier League history. We spent upwards of a month with 12/13 first team players injured. You've been incredibly fortunate with long term injuries this season and have been able to name a pretty much full strength side on plenty of occassions. Compare that to Palace:

Sakho: 3+ months injured
Zaha: 3+ months injured
RLC: 3+ months injured
Cabaye: 2+ months injured
Ward: 2+ months injured
Tomkins: 2+ months injured
Dann: 5+ months injured, out for the season
Puncheon: 5+ months injured, out for the season
Sako: 4+ months injured, out for the season
Schlupp: 3+ months injured

The fact that we've almost certainly avoided relegation despite all the things going against us this season is really rather impressive. Yes, you've spent most of the season above us in the table, but if we'd had anything approaching a "normal" season injury-wise you wouldn't be anywhere near us.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You know as well as I do that we've had one of the worst injury crisis' in Premier League history. We spent upwards of a month with 12/13 first team players injured. You've been incredibly fortunate with long term injuries this season and have been able to name a pretty much full strength side on plenty of occassions. Compare that to Palace:

What about the last couple of seasons? 14th? 15th?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
ork9J.gif

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

The fact that we've almost certainly avoided relegation despite all the things going against us this season is really rather impressive.

But only Cheek and Haha are any good off of that list.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Alan Pardew.

Bang average in November, bang average in the FA Cup. And won 3-2 on Saturday. Nothing there indicates you are any further ahead of us.

we-8-brighton

Feb 5, 2011

The fact that we've almost certainly avoided relegation despite all the things going against us this season is really rather impressive. Yes, you've spent most of the season above us in the table, but if we'd had anything approaching a "normal" season injury-wise you wouldn't be anywhere near us.

They don't let facts get in the way of a good story mate so don't waste your time.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Bang average in November, bang average in the FA Cup. And won 3-2 on Saturday. Nothing there indicates you are any further ahead of us.

Our reserve team were certainly pretty average in the FA Cup, yeah.

As for Saturday, we looked far superior to you in the first half and were unfortunate not to be out of sight at HT. We were utterly dominant and anyone watching could see that we were the better side. Zaha and Loftus Cheek strolled through your defense with ease time and time again, and were clearly a different class to any of your players.

Just read your match thread; it's full of Brighton fans bemoaning the fact that we were clearly too good for you.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
That's not quite true though, is it? PvA, Sakho, Tomkins, Wan-Bissaka, Cabaye, Mcarthur, Milivojevic, Townsend, Sako, RLC etc. would all get into your squad and the majority of those would be starting as well.

We've had almost half a decade longer than you in the Premier League and the difference in the quality of our squads is a reflection of that. The team you played against on Saturday isn't a relegation threatened side so there's no shame in losing to it; if we were able to field a starting XI anywhere near that quality most weeks we'd likely be a top half side. Injuries have absolutely cripplied us this year, next season we won't be so unfortunate.

I don't disagree with most of your post. But you misread. I said he's the only thing I WANT.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

As for Saturday, we looked far superior to you in the first half and were unfortunate not to be out of sight at HT. We were utterly dominant and anyone watching could see that we were the better side. Zaha and Loftus Cheek strolled through your defense with ease time and time again, and were clearly a different class to any of your players.

Just read your match thread; it's full of Brighton fans bemoaning the fact that we were clearly too good for you.

Hang on a minute? Reserves?

Schlupp, Cabaye, Townsend, van Aanholt, Sako all started in the FA Cup game. I'm confused are they any good or reserves?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Hang on a minute? Reserves?

Schlupp, Cabaye, Townsend, van Aanholt, Sako all started in the FA Cup game. I'm confused are they any good or reserves?

3 first team players, a backup winger (Sako) and our second choice left back (Schlupp). Blimey. What a strong side.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014

You had a great first half we had a great second half and should of had a point so fairly even I rekon

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
3 first team players, a backup winger (Sako) and our second choice left back (Schlupp). Blimey. What a strong side.

We both made the same amount of changes for that game from memory.

Anyway congratulations and look forward to seeing your late charge for the Europa League spots given the VAST quality in your team demonstrated by a plucky 3-2 win over your rivals.

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
You had a great first half we had a great second half and should of had a point so fairly even I rekon

You had a "great second half" in which you didn't score a goal. You were throwing everything at a side who have been conceding late goals in every game recently and you still couldn't score. A draw would've been a major injustice and you know it!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Only 4 changes made from your preceding league game. Certainly considered strong by your local media:

"Crystal Palace boss makes four changes for FA Cup clash at Brighton as Zaha and Benteke miss out

Roy Hodgson makes four changes, but names a strong side for clash with fierce rivals Brighton"

...but, yeah, your one-man team was absent so I guess that does make your case for it not being strong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here