Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Only two English players start

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What happened to limits on foreign players? I know that freedom of movement laws allow as many EU players as want to play in the team, but on Saturday we had one aussie, an israeli, a colombian and a cameroonian in the starting line-up. Is there no limit at all on non-EU players?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Northern Ireland is not part of Britain

Its the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland

As [MENTION=36014]Saunders[/MENTION] states, he is British if born in Northern Ireland. And the Island of Ireland is also part of the British Isles.

Wiki:

'The British Isles are a group of islands off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles.'

Note, there is NOTHING political about that, simply a matter of history and geography.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What happened to limits on foreign players? I know that freedom of movement laws allow as many EU players as want to play in the team, but on Saturday we had one aussie, an israeli, a colombian and a cameroonian in the starting line-up. Is there no limit at all on non-EU players?

There are rules about home grown players which includes Krul, but not Murray.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
As [MENTION=36014]Saunders[/MENTION] states, he is British if born in Northern Ireland. And the Island of Ireland is also part of the British Isles.

Wiki:

'The British Isles are a group of islands off the north-western coast of continental Europe that consist of the islands of Great Britain, Ireland and over six thousand smaller isles.'

Note, there is NOTHING political about that, simply a matter of history and geography.

“Six thousand smaller isles”? WTF?

I’m not questioning the accuracy (it is Wikipedia, after all :whistle: ) - but 6000? Wow.

As a total guess, I reckon I could name 30-ish.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its part of the British Isles which the Republic refuse to recognise as a term but doesnt exclude its use and Northern Irish that do not want to be part of the Republic call themselves British.

So does Duffy call himself Irish or British, as a guess giving his town of birth as Derry as opposed to Londonderry and electing to represent Eire, would be a big clue.

Also the British Isles has no standing in terms of nationality so quoting it, is pointless

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Maybe I can't count but I think there were only two English players in our starting line up yesterday plus Duffy as an honorary Brit. I fully understand why, and I applaud both our foreign players and Club recruitment, but is this good for English football? We have to do it to survive in this division and enforcing a limit on import numbers would inevitably raise the price of HGPs, so what is the solution?

What exactly do you want a solution to?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Many, many years ago, it was argued that football had turned to the dark side by having Scots , Irish and........Welsh players in English teams.

I can remember getting Into a fight which caused me to take a lady friend home from the Goldstone after our some of our “supporters “ started monkey hooting o me of our own players.

I don’t give a schmiddt where our players come from. They are footballers, and they have signed and play for us. If our match day squad has 18 non English players,........so what.?

Except I don’t agree with more than 2 substitutes. Actually, I’m old school, and don’t truly approve of any subs, except perhaps for broken limbs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can hold a British passport and are called British not UKish

Read the other posts. There isn’t such a thing as a British passport, it’s a UK passport.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Don't really care. All I really care about is that the players give their best for the club and, right now, I really feel that they do.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
So does Duffy call himself Irish or British, as a guess giving his town of birth as Derry as opposed to Londonderry and electing to represent Eire, would be a big clue.

Also the British Isles has no standing in terms of nationality so quoting it, is pointless

As I said he has used both nationalities it is up to him and I clearly didnt say it had a standing in terms of nationality but being born in Northern Ireland does.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
UK includes N.I. but Britain doesn't officially.

6000 islands might be right as there are a lot of dodgy Scotish ones.

I would quite like to see something like a limit of 21 'non-UK' players in a club's 25 nominated over 21 year old players. Or even giving 4 of the places to ONLY English qualifying players and another 4 to UK qualifying places.

But any more than that would seriously lower the level of the league plus inflate the cost of home grown players yet further.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
[QUOTE I fully understand why, and I applaud both our foreign players and Club recruitment, but is this good for English football?[/QUOTE]

Yes and No

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Due to the television money, English players cost too much money. There is more value in looking abroad.
As I posted earlier, we have two of our own Academy in the first team (not confining it to the starting 11 as per the OP) and we have three regular English starters when injury free.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As an aside I’ve just looked up the gov.uk website and they interchangeably use the term U.K. Passport and British passport. If they can’t get it right it’s no wonder everyone else is confused.

There is technically a difference between the UK and Great Britain, but for most general purposes the two titles are interchangeable, so the gov.uk website hasn't got it wrong at all. If some people are confused by it (or pretend to be confused in order to sneer), that's their problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here