A thread of amazing covers

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
Black crowes.hard to handle.by otis redding
The Man who sold the world nirvana.by David Bowie

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
That Nina Simone cover that [MENTION=28481]neilbard[/MENTION] posted is stunning but then again, everything she did was jaw-droppingly good. In this video from the Montreux Jaxx Festival in 1976, she takes an incredibly cheesy tune 'Feelings' and completely deconstructs it, turning it into something so magical that it takes your breath away. She opens her heart completely and you can see the pain inside her. That look she gives the audience right on the 5 minute mark. Just amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH5ZE3N8cxU

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
First one nowhere near as good as Arthur Alexander,
Second one not a patch on Arthur or on Van Morrison's cover,
Third one not fit to wipe the shoes of the Isley Brothers' version. Slightly better than the Top Notes original, but only because the Beatles did a direct copy of the Isleys' interpretation.
Last one you really must be joking. The opening line of The Marvelettes' version has more soul than the whole of the Beatles career. The Beatles version is behind The Carpenters' fairly insipid version by dint of Karen's voice being far superior.

The Beatles didn't get close to Barrett Strong's version of 'Money', and he and Norman Whitfield were better songwriters than them too. As was Chuck Berry who they never matched in performance, no matter how many of his songs they did, as was Buddy Holly who they really wanted to be, but proved that they couldn't be through poor versions of Words of Love and Crying, Waiting & Hoping.

You've got issues.

John Lennon's voice trumps them all. Especially in Please Mr. Postman and Twist and Shout where, I might had, he had a cold and recorded the whole song in one take after he recorded most of The Beatles first album in one day.

The Beatles were a unbelievable rock n roll band with great stage presence before the industry tamed them, but their later albums are far superior to that of the artists you mentioned.

The Buddy Holly covers weren't great, but I think you'll find The Beatles thought Elvis was more of an driving force than Holly.

What a splendid evening that was.
I know I have praised her version of Gimme Shelter but this Stones cover is nearly as good:
[YT]B3IN5wRkRWk[/YT]

Fair to say my friends who went to that show loved it. Was slowly getting properly into metal at the time, but wasn't a big enough fan of those bands enough to want to pay £100+ to a tout. Also missed out on seeing the former's Self titled tour later that year, which in hindsight I am gutted about considering they probably won't play it in full again!

One more from me, which I don't recall having seen yet in this thread:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here