Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Morgan Stanley begins move away from London

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My wife got made redundant from her teaching job about three months ago, cuts to the schools budget. We probably have until October and then we don't know what is going to happen after that. Because we have a small daughter we can't afford child care either, so I look my daughter with the help of my 81 year old mum.

My wife is taking supply as and when but it's not enough to cover our bills. We are trying our best to stay positive. I'm trying my best to find a job that fits in with our needs as my wife doesn't drive, and because the agency call her in the morning for work, it is not enough time for her to get to work using public transport.

In the meantime I'm leaflet delivering, after taking out my fuel costs to get to the area I have to deliver, I'm earning about 3.00 per hour. I'm self employed because the company doesn't want to pay minimum wage and exhausts all the responsibility of employing people and I am desperate for money. It's not the nicest job in the world.

This type of economy has been going on for the last 9-10 years now, it's crap, and I didn't see it changing unless we radically changed, which is one of the reasons I voted Leave including my wife.

Mate, I understand. When the remain campaign is selling more of the same and leave is selling better off in the future.
I hope you were right and I am wrong, but I don't believe it will be me and you that feels the benefit if there is any.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Ah, the old ''irony'' defence , yeah, course it was.

If you equate lampooning outmoded, inequitable establishment figures & institutions with racism then there is really very little more to be said.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
People wondering how everything happened so fast, most companies prepared for this eventuality (depending on industry).

Housing fell the day after the votes came in. My parents selling their house had 7 viewings in the 10 days before the referendum. Since then they have had 0 viewings/enquiries. And even my parents have stopped looking because they don't want to take on a bigger mortgage with all this uncertainty with the possibility for another recession.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
My wife got made redundant from her teaching job about three months ago, cuts to the schools budget. We probably have until October and then we don't know what is going to happen after that. Because we have a small daughter we can't afford child care either, so I look my daughter with the help of my 81 year old mum.

My wife is taking supply as and when but it's not enough to cover our bills. We are trying our best to stay positive. I'm trying my best to find a job that fits in with our needs as my wife doesn't drive, and because the agency call her in the morning for work, it is not enough time for her to get to work using public transport.

In the meantime I'm leaflet delivering, after taking out my fuel costs to get to the area I have to deliver, I'm earning about 3.00 per hour. I'm self employed because the company doesn't want to pay minimum wage and exhausts all the responsibility of employing people and I am desperate for money. It's not the nicest job in the world.

This type of economy has been going on for the last 9-10 years now, it's crap, and I didn't see it changing unless we radically changed, which is one of the reasons I voted Leave including my wife.

That's a very fair point you make. If globalisation, free trade and migration have not benefited you then voting leave is the right thing to do as the existing system has been of no help.

Yes, yes, yes she's lost her job, sympathies and all that. But MORE importantly we have our country back and therefore let's REJOICE in taking back power from those unelected bureaucrats who want to create a superstate where we will all have to speak German and eat snails.

I'm so relieved at the thought yet more largely secondary (ie SI) legislation that refers to "Guidelines to be brought forward subsequently by the Secretary of State". Drafted by Civil Servants, elected by whom, guidelines (ie law) then issued having been reviewed and voted on by anyone?
More of the National Planning Policy Framework type stuff on sustainable development and having suitable infrastructure that get "re-defined" centrally to the Planning Inspectorate when proposals are rejected locally and back comes the developer knowing full well that Council's don't have the money to fund Inspectorate appeals because the central grant has been cut.
It's all been signed of by an English Minister though, so that's OK then.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I'm so relieved at the thought yet more largely secondary (ie SI) legislation that refers to "Guidelines to be brought forward subsequently by the Secretary of State". Drafted by Civil Servants, elected by whom, guidelines (ie law) then issued having been reviewed and voted on by anyone?
More of the National Planning Policy Framework type stuff on sustainable development and having suitable infrastructure that get "re-defined" centrally to the Planning Inspectorate when proposals are rejected locally and back comes the developer knowing full well that Council's don't have the money to fund Inspectorate appeals because the central grant has been cut.
It's all been signed of by an English Minister though, so that's OK then.

Or when a secretary of state decides a planning application in a location where the local population and a council is opposed. So unfair.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So do I from a macroeconomic point of view, but from [MENTION=27983]Bas[/MENTION]hldir 's position, it's a gamble worth taking surely?

The position just isn't a good one, and it's an understandable response to such a position. But I also suspect that it will be people in similar positions that will be hit worst by it and, on that basis, I'm not so sure it is a gamble worth taking.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Unfortunately, with the further cuts coming, the NHS may not be able to keep you old buggers alive long enough to see the glorious future.

I've survived cancer, divorce, separation from children, bereavements and business failure so far. Just hoping the ticker keeps working for a bit longer.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The position just isn't a good one, and it's an understandable response to such a position. But I also suspect that it will be people in similar positions that will be hit worst by it and, on that basis, I'm not so sure it is a gamble worth taking.

When you have little left to lose, gambling becomes more attractive.

I just wish [MENTION=27983]Bas[/MENTION]hldir the best in getting a good break.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I sympathise with you and your family's plight, you are not the only ones. Since the trauma's of the last economic collapse the recovery has not been felt by many of us at the bottom of the ladder. Mrs V is a teacher and morale at her school continues to collapse apace due to pressure of work,poor leadership, dwindling budgets leading to job cuts and employment worries. I'm doing the same job I have done most of my life but earning a lot less than 2006 and little prospect of a pay rise due to the fall of the Pound against the Dollar.

In fact I managed to get a sneaky look at a Directors level forum where they were discussing the implications Brexit on the business, most were confident that head office can adjust and still be competitive. One quote showed up exactly why we are in the position we are..... " Our costs for XXXXX and XXXXXX will go up as we purchase from the Far East in Dollars but, hey, at least no more workers rights ! "

It Is a hard road ahead, I have maybe 10-13 years ahead before I retire and I drive a 10 year old car, don't take foreign holidays or smoke, I have a few bob in the bank as I had a reasonable bit of cash from a redundancy and a divorce, Icurrently have my health and a small roof over my head but my pension, if any, will be pitiful as I haven't been able to afford to put money away.

We now have radical change, but sadly I can't see things improving significantly in the next 5-10 years for me or anyone near the bottom, the rich will adapt and remain rich or get richer and we will carry on like drones.

PS, Mrs V told me the other day that many teachers are quitting due to stress and going in to Supply as there is minimal lesson planning,no staying late for clubs or open evenings and no taking the marking home. I think your Mrs should get more work from schools as there will be more openings for Supply and she will probably get a good reputation from the schools she attends.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I sympathise with you and your family's plight, you are not the only ones. Since the trauma's of the last economic collapse the recovery has not been felt by many of us at the bottom of the ladder. Mrs V is a teacher and morale at her school continues to collapse apace due to pressure of work,poor leadership, dwindling budgets leading to job cuts and employment worries. I'm doing the same job I have done most of my life but earning a lot less than 2006 and little prospect of a pay rise due to the fall of the Pound against the Dollar.

In fact I managed to get a sneaky look at a Directors level forum where they were discussing the implications Brexit on the business, most were confident that head office can adjust and still be competitive. One quote showed up exactly why we are in the position we are..... " Our costs for XXXXX and XXXXXX will go up as we purchase from the Far East in Dollars but, hey, at least no more workers rights ! "

It Is a hard road ahead, I have maybe 10-13 years ahead before I retire and I drive a 10 year old car, don't take foreign holidays or smoke, I have a few bob in the bank as I had a reasonable bit of cash from a redundancy and a divorce, Icurrently have my health and a small roof over my head but my pension, if any, will be pitiful as I haven't been able to afford to put money away.

We now have radical change, but sadly I can't see things improving significantly in the next 5-10 years for me or anyone near the bottom, the rich will adapt and remain rich or get richer and we will carry on like drones.

PS, Mrs V told me the other day that many teachers are quitting due to stress and going in to Supply as there is minimal lesson planning,no staying late for clubs or open evenings and no taking the marking home. I think your Mrs should get more work from schools as there will be more openings for Supply and she will probably get a good reputation from the schools she attends.
Your situation is unfortunate and i sympathise with it, what i do know is that the tories/ukip/labour/lib dems are not the answer , there really needs to be a middle ground party that helps those at the bottom without antagonising the middle earners by taking them to the financial cleaners as well, and no, i dont think new labour was the answer either.

the speed with which they have acted, especially considering nothing has actually changed: we are still in the EU, regulations remain, funding hasn't been withdrawn. they would have to continue their operations with a reduced workforce while awaiting where they would be relocated to, acquiring premises and recruitment typical takes longer than redundancy consultation.

Nothing has changed? Of course it has, the UK has voted to leave the EU and whether you or I like it the clock is running and we are not in charge of the stopwatch here.

The country of location of EMA, and indeed all EU institutions, is dependent upon agreement between the member states and as soon as we serve notice under Article 50 then the 27 will decide where EMA and the other institutions located in the UK (incl Euro Banking and Patents) are going to relocate. It will have nothing to do with any UK exit talks or subsequent trade negotiations with the EU. The EU will carry on with it's system of regulating medicines and devices whilst the UK can do whatever it wants when the two years is up. How the UK deals post-exit with products already marketed in the UK under the EU centralised systems will be a matter for us; professionally I think some extensive scientific data re-assessment may be needed because MHRA (the UK regulatory agency) doesn't hold it currently and it will need to establish a database of what's actually been approved.
Sorry but I don't understand your point about remaining regulations? What law, regulations, guidelines etc the UK operates to in this area has post-exit will be down to us.
EMA is largely funded by industry (maybe entirely but I can't remember), MHRA is exclusively so.
Premises are already available and have been offered in other MS's; as I've said elsewhere, a significant part of EMA's work moved to Bonn during the 2012 Olympics (for 6 months in total I think)
Redundancy consultation is dependent on what's in the letter surely, you do not have to go with the normal custom in the UK of trying to cram everything into the minimum possible timescale.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
But that deficit was built up whilst in the EU so what is your point. It's good to get out

The decision to run up that level of debt was made by successive British governments and was completely under our control and had nothing whatsoever to do with the EU; that's my point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here