Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How much BUSINESS will we do on transfer deadline day?

How many bits of BUSINESS will we do on transfer deadline day?

• None - we've done our business early. There's nothing to see here

Votes: 23 12.9%

Votes: 16 9.0%

Votes: 40 22.5%

Votes: 35 19.7%

Votes: 26 14.6%

Votes: 17 9.6%

Votes: 8 4.5%

Votes: 5 2.8%

Votes: 2 1.1%

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 10 or more

Votes: 5 2.8%

• Total voters

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
3 in - a disappointing striker on loan a la Akpom, a half decent CB and a keeper no one's heard of. Goldson out on loan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really. They've filed 5 Albion stories today. A pretty average day. They've written updates in the last 48 hours or so with the latest on Debuchy, Hemed, Goldson, Zohore, and Niasse. Naylor discounted Shane Long yesterday, Jovetic last week as part of a long long list of players we've been linked with , all of which turned out to be nothing, and all have been substantiated. He's inexplicably condemned on here but he's had a good window. Yes. They don't file until they've stood a story up but so what.
He's effectively trusted now , even by many of the sceptical on here, and rightfully so. (not all of em of course !!) .
After all NSC users are rightfully a picky bunch when it comes to news about their club. Some are still upset about a single tweet by Naylor about CMS 6 years ago and a poor turn of phrase he made on Deadline Day on 2012.

Obviously NSC , the foreign press and the local press has more , and rumours circulate everywhere including on here , some of which are even true, but the Argus has no names or news ? Blimey.

[tweet]902982015171121152[/tweet]

I only focus on first team signings coming in.

Genuinely I must be looking at a basic webpage of the Argus. Looking at it right now I can only see recent stories on Murray's injury, Hemed bid rejected, Goldson loan, another on Murray, Britos says sorry, Zurich slagging us off, MKDons beat us.

None about first teamers being chased by us. But [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] has just explained to me how it works with Naylor/Owen.

Plus the Argus doesn't appear to publish transfer gossip, unlike other 'news' outlets.

P.S. I've never been part of the mob that appears to have it in for Naylor.

Last edited:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
How it works with Naylor

Name crops up we have no interest In

Feed Naylor it's a No

Name crops up we have major interest in

Feed Naylor it's a No

Name crops up we've enquirer about but is way down the list

Toss Naylor a bone and say there's some interest

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I want to make it clear that I'm not criticising Andy nor anyone else at all, but it strikes me that the newsflow is generally something like this...

1. Something breaks on Twitter or from an overseas media organisation.
2. Albion fans pick up on it. It may or may not be posted on here.
3. <Something>
4. Andy Naylor confirms link as player being 'monitored' or rubbishes the news.

Now, I'm pretty sure I know what step 3 is. As you say, Andy is trusted by the club, at least in situations that suit the club.

What does genuinely seem to be missing, and it's what I take his critics as highlighting, is Andy seems to be rarely, if ever, in position 1 of the newsflow. When did he last genuinely reveal a name that no one knew about before? He may do it often - I don't spend much time on twitter and even less on the horrendous Argus site.

He is very good at criticising others ideas/suggestions without ever coming up with any of his own.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Bozza is more in the know than Mr Naylor...

But simply cannot give anything away or his sources will dry up..

That's what I reckon anyway

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

He's mentioned nothing so pretty pointless for the rest of us

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really. They've filed 5 Albion stories today. A pretty average day. They've written updates in the last 48 hours or so with the latest on Debuchy, Hemed, Goldson, Zohore, and Niasse. Naylor discounted Shane Long yesterday, Jovetic last week as part of a long long list of players we've been linked with , all of which turned out to be nothing, and all have been substantiated. He's inexplicably condemned on here but he's had a good window. Yes. They don't file until they've stood a story up but so what. And Yes they obviously share info the club share with them.
He's effectively trusted now , even by many of the sceptical on here, and rightfully so. (not all of em of course !!) .
After all NSC users are rightfully a picky bunch when it comes to news about their club. Some are still upset about a single tweet by Naylor about CMS 6 years ago and a poor turn of phrase he made on Deadline Day on 2012.

Obviously NSC , the foreign press and the local press has more , and rumours circulate everywhere including on here , some of which are even true, but the Argus has no names or news ? Blimey.

[tweet]902982015171121152[/tweet]

There was a point where Andy wasn't getting a single scrap from the club and still had a column to write. He filled it with barely disguised bile about NSC and how Brighton fans were so much worse than Palace fans, in a self destructive bout of clickbait.

Now he's back in favour he's able to confirm and deny rumours at will but as [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] says he never, ever breaks them.

So far we've had a 6/10 window, despite a massive spend, and so has he. Both could take it up to 9 tomorrow. But neither are there right now.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's like when you shopping with your misses.
9/10 they'll go back to the first item they viewed first when looking at the display.
That's how I see Albions transfer adventure going, we'll get business done by the transfer deadline day, but at a cost mind you.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Hemed going anywhere is a funny one, isn't it? Even putting keeping him aside in order to be "better safe than sorry", he's now away on international duty.

Now whilst communications can clearly take place between a suitor, Hemed's agent and Hemed himself, he's not going to be able to undertake a medical anywhere now is he?

Tis all true, but it works the other way too. Surely any potential incoming signing is in an unusually fine situation with us, as they'll avoid our stringent medical examination. Darren Anderton, come on down, and meet Sam Baldock.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Not at all these days, no.

As I say the club is very tight on this stuff, and I think that tightness is in place internally too. If you don't need to know you won't. If you see something and slip word out, you risk losing your job.

Maybe if I asked the questions, I would get the same "not interested" and "on the list" answers but there seems little point. Someone else is already doing that and I'll not get different answers. I'm happy to just be a fan and find out when everyone else does (or maybe 10 minutes earlier if I happen to notice the email arrive).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I want to make it clear that I'm not criticising Andy nor anyone else at all, but it strikes me that the newsflow is generally something like this...

1. Something breaks on Twitter or from an overseas media organisation.
2. Albion fans pick up on it. It may or may not be posted on here.
3. <Something>
4. Andy Naylor confirms link as player being 'monitored' or rubbishes the news.

Now, I'm pretty sure I know what step 3 is. As you say, Andy is trusted by the club, at least in situations that suit the club.

What does genuinely seem to be missing, and it's what I take his critics as highlighting, is Andy seems to be rarely, if ever, in position 1 of the newsflow. When did he last genuinely reveal a name that no one knew about before? He may do it often - I don't spend much time on twitter and even less on the horrendous Argus site.

I don't know AN. I'm just defensive of local football journalism and journalists which i really value.
but yep. If the club do most of their work, scouting in Germany, Spain, Italy etc rather than in Burnley, Salford or Bristol then its perhaps not surprising that the foreign press often break names and not the Argus although their spanish contacts provided plenty of stories at the height of Oscar, Ulloa, Bruno , Spanish Dave era and frequently other reporters working for Newsquest cough up names.
Of course many of those foreign transfer scoops, as you say, are often wide of the mark and left for AN etc to confirm or not. Usually not. A valuable service this summer.
But ultimately the Argus has, as far as i can tell, fewer than 2 journalists reporting on the Albion at any one time, writing multiple stories a day, interviews, profiles, match reports etc. it. And i think it didn't get more support when albion were promoted. Local football journalism is sadly fighting for its life. Its not surprising its not breaking news left,right and centre. Perhaps the editor should hire a few more reporters.

Last edited:

djentist

Aug 15, 2017
INS

Hopeful: two strikers, a utility defender in the Gomez mould and then after window closes a free agent GK

realistic: two, at a push three of those listed above

OUTS

Goldson - Championship loan
Ahannach/Skalak - possible loans for either or both
Towell - would sell him but will probably end up staying

Mateju to stay and fight for place, Hemed to stay and run down last year of contract

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There was a point where Andy wasn't getting a single scrap from the club and still had a column to write. He filled it with barely disguised bile about NSC and how Brighton fans were so much worse than Palace fans, in a self destructive bout of clickbait.

i think he had the temerity to say merely that Selhurst was a bit noisy.
But agreed. It was a bit of a cheek.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He is very good at criticising others ideas/suggestions without ever coming up with any of his own.

Transfer dealings aren't ideas or suggestions. They're either happening or they're not. Its not his fault if they're not. Its the club. Which he reports on.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But to characterise its extensive transfer coverage this summer as purely fact checking (you still have to get the club to take your calls) and/or rewriting the release you also get in your inbox, hopefully a fair few times tomorrow, is not how i see it.

I'm not doing that. As I say - I don't look at twitter much and I don't look at the Argus site much as it's an utter abomination IMO.

And you're twisting my words in a way that disappoints me. I thought you were better than that.

But, frankly, I'm not going to enter an argument about it. I think Andy has a very difficult job, for reasons you've stated and more besides. I wouldn't want to have to fill column inches (and web pages) with the volume of well-crafted content he does day in and day out. I had a brief stab for a while on here and it's bloody hard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here