Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking Company - advice

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I know there have been other threads on this subject, so apologies - but has anyone ever dealt with Ethical Parking Company?
My wife had to take our son to the County Ground for cricket training over half term and parked up - buying a ticket while she was there. When she took him in she asked reception if she was in the right bays, but it turned out she wasnt. Leaving our son there she hopped back in the car & moved it to a correct space. Unknown to her though, when she had got back in the car the ticket mustve blown over on the dashboard and ended up face down. Long story short, she dashed back to get our son to where he needed to be &, although she had a valid ticket, ended up getting a fine of £100. Shes tried appealing but they have dismissed it straight away. As I mentioned it is a company called Ethical Parking, & not the council - so are there any other options to follow for what was a genuine mistake/situation that my wife hadnt noticed in her hurry? Shes really upset as she even made sure she bought a ticket and checked to see which bays were the correct ones to use...and still ended up getting done!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do not pay it under any circumstances.
[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] will help.

Shame she's written to them already though as it's tantamount to admitting liability.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
They have sent a photo of a sign that was up somewhere, but she had sent them a photo she took of the ticket showing the date / time etc. That wasnt good enough though apparently.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Ethical...LoooooL! Their name always makes me laugh.

I helped a friend stuff them at POPLA six months ago and I've never lost at POPLA even thought it's got a harder game recently. The charge doesn't increase and any 'discount' is a bribe not to appeal (and idiots who pay support the con and fund the next scam ticket against a vulnerable or old person or cash-strapped family).

You (the person with the rejection letter) needs to appeal to POPLA within a month of the date of the letter. Has she gone and admitted who parked the car. Allow me a quiet 'DOH!' if so... Wrong move, she's chucked a decent appeal point in the bin. Never tell a private parking scumbag firm the story of what happened or who was driving. Appeal as the keeper only.

Send me a private message and I'll send you an email address you can use to show me scans of the PCN and the rejection letter. I can help make the POPLA appeal as strong as it can be for a driver who has already said who was driving (if she has). My friend's case was won becasue Ethical are stupid and forgot to include the basic evidence.

[MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] will help.

Him and me both!

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
I know there have been other threads on this subject, so apologies - but has anyone ever dealt with Ethical Parking Company?
My wife had to take our son to the County Ground for cricket training over half term and parked up - buying a ticket while she was there. When she took him in she asked reception if she was in the right bays, but it turned out she wasnt. Leaving our son there she hopped back in the car & moved it to a correct space. Unknown to her though, when she had got back in the car the ticket mustve blown over on the dashboard and ended up face down. Long story short, she dashed back to get our son to where he needed to be &, although she had a valid ticket, ended up getting a fine of £100. Shes tried appealing but they have dismissed it straight away. As I mentioned it is a company called Ethical Parking, & not the council - so are there any other options to follow for what was a genuine mistake/situation that my wife hadnt noticed in her hurry? Shes really upset as she even made sure she bought a ticket and checked to see which bays were the correct ones to use...and still ended up getting done!
You need to ask the good people on Money Saving Expert, or pepipoo.

They are the experts, and I suspect they will tell you not to pay it and instruct you on what to do.

TB

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
WHAT YOU'RE JERAMEY CLARKSON :eek:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
@Westdene Seagull will help.

Shame she's written to them already though as it's tantamount to admitting liability.

No need for my help now [MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] has stepped in my POPLA wins are a drop in the ocean compared to hers !!!

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Many thanks WS for your advice recently re Asda Marina parking ticket, I spoke first with the store and they cancelled it.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Even the council will usually allow the appeal if you had a valid ticket and it blew upside down so a private company turning it down is pretty disguting

Even the council will usually allow the appeal if you had a valid ticket and it blew upside down so a private company turning it down is pretty disguting

That is my experience. After paying to park in the Hove Town Hall multi-storey car park, my ticket fell on the floor and I received a Penalty Charge Notice. On returning to the car and finding the PCN, I immediately visited the Parking Shop (conveniently located in those days at Hove Town Hall), with the parking ticket, where they cancelled the penalty charge without any fuss.

FRYG

Bexhill Seagull
Apr 13, 2011
Bexhill
[MENTION=18265]LadySeagull[/MENTION] I had a parking ticket from these guys back in 2012 and ignored it with it going away however I got an email from a solicitor on there behalf now (over 3 years later) do I need to action this or am I ok just ignoring it ?

thanks in advance

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Never saw this, sorry.

Wright Hassall?

Gladstones?

SCS Solicitors?

Is it a letter asking for payment, and if so, who are they saying you 'should' pay?

Or is it a 'Letter before Claim'?

Which parking firm? You can pm me if you prefer, with a copy of the scanned letter.

Some of these scammers do try small claims but generally the smaller firms are still beatable...ParkingEye (PE) being the most difficult as they are owned by Capita, swimming in ill-gotten gains for no service at all and they throw the kitchen sink at it. At a hearing they send a barrister, at a loss to them, and they won a Supreme Court case against Barry Beavis in November (a terrible decision by those out-of-touch Judges) which PE use to batter everyone into submission now.

But if it's not PE then it's easier. And if it is PE then I've beaten them too. They will often cancel if a person shows a receipt from a retail park or complains to the Store Manager, BTW, seeing as PE normally infest retail parks.

But are you saying yours was 'Ethical' (the biggest oxymoron in the shady 'industry')?

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Westdene Seagull knows it's never about fault nor whether you are bang to rights, even with a Council PCN.

I just got TFL to back down from a penalty in that London, where my niece's fiance was absolutely nailed on pictured stopped in a yellow box junction. Caught hook line and sinker, shown on the video and in the pics as doing the 'crime'. As usual for TFL and Councils, they screwed up on a few issues and you just have to spot them.

Re private tickets, mostly they are some old rubbish about being 12 minutes too long on site or a P&Display ticket mysteriously flipped over or not visible. 'That'll be £100 mate'.

The answer is to show what the parking firm or council did wrong - no apologies for looking for technicalities, especially against ex-clamper thugs like 'Ethical Parking'.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade

I expect the OP won't mind me saying - POPLA appeal won; scam PCN cancelled.

Don't believe the misquoted Martin Lewis Facebook 'advice' doing the rounds, you cannot just ignore some of these (e.g. ParkingEye issued over 30,000 court papers in 2014 alone). Some can be ignored but if it's a firm to offer POPLA then there are ways to win that.

And if nothing else, always complain to the landowner or retailer immediately as they can very often cancel these 'PCNs' with one phone call.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here