Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Communal fire alarm advice.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Most relatively new blocks of flats will only have standalone fire alarms in each flat and not a communal alarm, as this is what is recommended under current guidance. This is because only the occupants of a flat with a fire are expected to evacuate. The reason for this is that if a communal alarm went off every time someone burnt their dinner people would probably start ignoring fire alarms and also having a large number of people evacuating simultaneously in the middle of the night actually carries a reasonable risk of injuries from trips and falls (both points especially apply in large tower blocks with 100 flats or so).

There is likely to be detection within the common areas for the purposes of operating smoke ventilation, but not an alarm.

Thanks for the explanation.
I've worked in a few older blocks and large houses converted into flats carrying out plumbing work, on more than one occasion I have set off smoke alarms when soldering pipes.
I always cover up the smoke alarm in the property I'm working in, but now and again the alarm has gone off and also set off smoke alarms in other areas.
Embarrassing for me and annoying for the other property owners/ tennants.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Got an answer of sorts from the owner.
They said they had the alarm disabled a while back as they adopted a stay put policy in the event of a fire. They don't know how the tenant has managed to reactivate the system or be in possession of the codes so they're going to investigate him.
I sure as hell will not be staying put in the event of a fire though. I'm not even sure how this has become a suggestion. You wouldn't stay on a sinking ship so why the hell would stay in a burning building?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here