Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What has happened to Brighton?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
God I hate NSC for anything other than football. The age profile is old and ageing...

To be fair to Bozza, I don't think he can do much about people getting older.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Really?
Swindon is well up and coming and if you go through the north and west you'll see it's all been developed nicely in the last 10/15 years and it's why many are moving here.
I'm from Brighton and I'm entitled to my opinion that it's a shite hole compared to earlier decades.I have relatives in Brighton and they're very poor so what's your point?
Brighton is the southeast and the most prosperous part of the country yet it may as well be in the north somewhere.It has millions of visitors every year and a huge nightlife yet the council can't even keep the place clean:nono:
Brighton is about 10+ years behind many places in the southeast when it comes to prosperity and well paid jobs.It has little investment throughout and clearly is getting poorer and poorer.

Many hate the thought of people criticising their city but many I speak to say it's really really bad and getting worse and there's many reasons why it will never prosper and it's nothing to do with austerity cuts !!

I hope that one day the city gets away from this green/liberal way of running the city and also cuts down massively on students as building the infrastructure and creating jobs will attract the right people that will have money to spend and will pay council tax and much more :)

You have to be on a windup. Never read so much drivel.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
The problems people are describing are problems most decent sized cities are facing in Europe and further afield at the moment. I travel a lot here and abroad with work and it's similar in most places largely because of austerity. Tagging especially is far worse on the continent too.

Brighton has some scruffy parts and it's sad to see the amount of homelessness at the moment, but people saying it's a hole need to get out more. The city has so many great areas, so much great architecture and so much going on as well as the beach one side and the downs/rest of Sussex the other. Relatively very prosperous too. Everyone I know that's visited from this country or abroad absolutely loves the place. Incidentally none of them have ever visited Swindon on their trips to the UK for some reason.

Besides, as someone else said, everywhere looks scruffier and a dirtier when the weather's as bad as it was today.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
God I hate NSC for anything other than football. The age profile is old and ageing and the crap views on here just reflect this.

Let's all vote Tory cos we are lucky enough to own a home before we pull the ladder up, that means that the Council who have lost a third of their income can't do the railings or parks or rubbish, staff shortages hold up planning decisions. Greedy landlords don't care about the place just take money out of the city.

Then we can blame the "something for nothing" generation, the weirdos and anyone else who doesn't vote Tory.

Honest
Y, what do you expect?

Why don't you just stick to the football thread then you intolerant juvenile simplistic and jealous individual.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I still love the place but the last couple of times I've been back have been a bit of reverse culture shock for a few days. The things that struck me were the amount of people ambling around totally off their faces and the combined stench of old beer and fresh urine around town, especially the lower prom. It might just be it's always been like that but I notice it more now i'm away from it and come back with children in tow.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Why don't you just stick to the football thread then you intolerant juvenile simplistic and jealous individual.

She has a point, a very good point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course you would know everything about Swindon :wanker:

Care to tell use why Swindon is "up and coming" ? I'd like to know as maybe after I'm bored of living here I might like to relocate.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I started working in Brighton again this year after 13 years away. I think it feels like it has improved to me. Yes it's dirty, but it's always been dirty. But there seems to be way more decent restaurants / bars / shops etc than there used to be, and it almost feels like a proper city now, rather than a seaside town.

The amount of people asking you for change and hassling you has massively increased though. It's like being in India sometimes.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Brighton never was clean and modern. It's always had a shabby and grubby side - both in the city itself and the people who
Live there. Hove has always been clean and likes itself more. This was far more true when they were administratively seperate. I for one have always loved the contrast, with a wide variety of very different people and places.

There is one new development that the OP perhaps hasn't been to. I 'understand' that there is a rather swanky new football stadium, but then - as Lewes council and others have said - Brighton is too good for football...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Of course you would know everything about Swindon :wanker:

Would you care to tell our assistant manager ( Swindon born and bred ) who's family live 4 miles outside of town your opinions?

Yes I know you will say he stays in Brighton but that is only for his job....( my son in laws knows and went to school with Paul Trollops daughter)

People in glass houses?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Can't be that bad in Brighton it attracted approx 8.5 millon Visitors last summer , Swindon attracted Mr and Mrs Bernard Mablethorpe from Stockport , Bernard later admitted he was actually trying to get to wales but got lost when diverted off of the M4 , June Bernards long time wife and co driver said she loved the roundabouts and the sign that said thank you for visiting swindon .

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think it is still a fairly nice looking city in comparison to many places.

However, in the last 20 years or so I think businesses have geared themselves to attract your hen nights and stag nights instead of families and that whilst it brings in more business, those people couldn't give a shit whether the railings are painted or not.

Landlords have turned once nice B & Bs onto HMO's in an effort to maximise rents and again they don't need to keep the frontage looking as nice as the residents don't care about the frontage.

It is still a nice city for sure but when the British population turned away from the UK beach holidays for guaranteed sun in Spain and Greece, the place had to re-invent itself and some of the reinventions have worked in terms of maintaining revenue, it lost a little bit in terms of presentation.

Oct 25, 2003
regarding the increase in homelessness- this is a national issue and there has been a huge increase in homelessness since 2010 (a seriously huge increase). In Brighton it's exaggerated because if you were homeless would you rather be in, say, Hull or Brighton?

I'm sure the Council would love to sort it out but they, alongside other councils in the country have had their funding halved since 2010.

Prior to 2010 if you were homeless and had a local connection you'd get housed pretty much straight away- now you're looking at being put on a 6-12 month waiting list. This isn't for a council house (you'll find yourself at roughly position 20,000 for that privilege), no we're talking about the grimmest accommodation known to man which costs the council an absolute fortune to pay for

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Brighton has always been a bit of a dump. It had a brief flourish in the late 90's that lasted about a decade then fell back into disrepair. Asides the obvious flaws, no decent sports centre or swimming pool, hit n miss entertainment, its dirty and expensive. It's economy is based on rental property and pubs. It really isn't unique anymore. Anything Brighton has to offer in the way of shopping or dining can be found in any town across the U.K. now. It also attracts some very unpleasant characters.
It used to have enough charm for me to be able to ignore all it's faults but that's be just the Brighton Bubble. You need to leave it for a couple of years to realise it's really not all that. There's are far, far nicer places in Sussex to live. I realise that those places may not be as attractive to a 20 or 30 something as they are to folk of my age.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Christ I wish more of you miserable old farts would bugger off, and don't bother coming back if you hate it so much, unless it's for a game of course

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Typical attitude of the young whipper snappers that are driving our once gloroius city into the dirt:moo:
If this isn't you trying to be funny I can see why you get so much grief on here.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here