Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The AA or RAC ?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Like all "insurance" companies they lure you in with a good deal and then **** on you.

Have been an RAC member for many years and been happy.

However, during the last year had to call them out for a wheel problem and battery problem. During the year I also upgraded to Home Call.

When my renewal came through the premium has shot up and many of the things I previously had covered have turned into "extras" at considerable extra cost.

Next year will get a quote from AA and Green Flag also.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Like all "insurance" companies they lure you in with a good deal and then **** on you.

I don't know, have been an AA member for many years and as a loyal customer I have home start for free (not sure what that's worth, maybe £40 a year), not many company's who reward loyalty nowadays

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We're with RAC but, every year, I cancel and then join again. New customer rates are better than renewals and going via Quidco brings cash back too.

Screen Shot 2015-08-20 at 15.46.37.png

Never had any issue with RAC service on the few times we've had to call them.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
I don't know, have been an AA member for many years and as a loyal customer I have home start for free (not sure what that's worth, maybe £40 a year), not many company's who reward loyalty nowadays

I was really pleased with RAC for years until this last renewal.That is why I shall look around again next year. Or, may try Bozzas wheeze.

I agree with [MENTION=6691]ofco8[/MENTION]. Compare your deal to the AA new members deal every year, and I'd be amazed if you're not paying more.

Every year when the renewal letter comes through at some extortionate rate I ring up, threaten to leave, and they magically offer cover at the same price as the RAC new members deal. They've even given up the removal of gold car 'privileges', which they did the first year I rang up to challenge the renewal price. It seems to me to be the one ubiquitous service industry where there's genuine and transparent competition.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Loyalty counts for nothing nowadays. Now I alternate two covers between AA and RAC each year. Currently personal cover, Roadside and Recovery (but not Home) is around £100 for new customer that nets down to just over £60 with cashback via Topcashback. This compared to renewal quote from RAC in this case of £121, that came down to £77 on the phone - but not close enough. Both organisations are comparable, just depends on the individual engineer and how busy they are, if they have to sub-contract.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I agree with [MENTION=6691]ofco8[/MENTION]. Compare your deal to the AA new members deal every year, and I'd be amazed if you're not paying more.

Every year when the renewal letter comes through at some extortionate rate I ring up, threaten to leave, and they magically offer cover at the same price as the RAC new members deal. They've even given up the removal of gold car 'privileges', which they did the first year I rang up to challenge the renewal price. It seems to me to be the one ubiquitous service industry where there's genuine and transparent competition.

Just checked my bank statement and I paid £80.52 in May. Just looked on the AA website and my quote for basic cover + home start is £110

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
We were with the AA for many years, then went to Green Flag. Now we get RAC cover, as part of a travel package with our bank account. It includes Europe cover and travel insurance, saving quite a bit of money.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
When I researched this a few months ago I ended up using QDOS - much cheaper than AA or RAC and very good online feedback. Not had to call them out yet though!

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Don't know if it's still the same but the difference for the recovery home service was that the RAC picked you up and took you all the way, but AA transferred you to a new vehicle at each of the area boundaries, hence called AA Relay.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Nowadays I buy breakdown cover with my car insurance (having done the tedious online comparison website) - they all offer basic cover, but make sure you include the options for home start / recovery, etc.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
There is virtually no difference between the services except the price and how they charge them. Currently I use Green Flag because they are (marginally) cheaper.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I always use the discount breakdown services. This year we are with Start. Roughly £40 a year for everything and never had a problem.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
my missus handles this (being a bloke, i can fix it... except i dont have a single tool in the car) and goes with RAC. as i recall they are considerably cheaper for the home start service.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I used to use AA but stopped a few years ago. I now use Ford. My local ford dealer (in fact any participating) dealer run a bloody good deal on servicing every year for cars over 5 years old. £120ish for a minor service and £180ish for a major fully inclusive. And throw in free breakdown cover for the year. Ideal for me as I have a performance car that needs a service annually not just mileage/year intervals.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here