Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help! Flight name changes

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
Ive made a boo boo and hope someone can give me some advice.....

I booked Easyjet flights for my family a while back and put my wife`s name in as Ali when in fact it should be Alison ( no one ever calls her that but thats what is on her passport ). I wanted to complete the online check in today and realised my mistake. I followed the name change amendment link and it said it would cost £35 each way for the amendment.........plus the difference in the cost of the flight when booked and cost of flight now......just a mere £379!! So they want £459 to change the name from Ali to Alison!!

Do i take the risk and turn up at the airport with an online boarding pass for "Ali" and a passport for Alison? Do i phone Easyjet and plead stupidity and hope they waive the flight £ difference ( £70 i can handle but £459 is plain daylight robbery )? Or do I pay the inevitable fee as there is no other choice other than cancel ( which would cost £2000 )

Any other NSC`ers experienced this dilemna and how to get it sorted? Any help/suggestions much appreciated.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Get her to change her name by deed poll and then get a new passport? Sorted

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Speak to Easyjet. wouldn't recommend turning up at the airport. they are not allowed to let you on as the ticket is not the name of the person on the passport i.e Ali/Alison could be two different people, silly i kow, but thats the rules! :(

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Phone them, wouldn't risk it, these companies will do anything to get money out of us!

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
An NSCer booked a flight for me but put Jamie instead of James. He phoned them and they sorted it straight away and was free. I think that 'amendment' option is for when you're swapping people, eg. John Smith can't go, so Joe Bloggs is going instead.

Yours, as was mine, is a simple ammendment. DO NOT chance it. :)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Having seen [MENTION=566]Bad Ash[/MENTION]'s response, I'd follow that up with asking how early your flight is. If it's at a nice social time, then the airport is fine. If it's at silly o'clock like mine, I'd phone so you avoid having to be there at REALLY silly o'clock!

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I think the only thing you can do is plead stupidity and ask for their understanding. Forgive me but, you made the mistake. Regardless of 'individual' passport number readers, passports and travel documents are stolen, copied and forged all the time. Therefore cross checks are applied including all data on a pnr when the booking was confirmed (pnr = passenger record and checks can be made regardless of destination) If a name change is required airlines all have different procedures. Security checks however don't change across airlines. The airline will treat the name change as a brand new passenger. You know your wife and who she is, they don't. Costs will occur, all you can do is plead dumb and try to reduce the costs. Make moves to PROVE Ali is Alison and was at the time of booking and go for the name change rate and not the seat cost price difference. The disappearing high street travel agency would have taken the rap if you had chosen them and paid 10-15% consultancy fees on your two grand. I do have sympathy and I know one thing for sure, you wont do it again! Best of luck.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Phone them. Easyjet usually do name spelling mistake changes for free, if it is obvious it is still the same person flying.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
I should add that the reason I searched for that link was that I recently booked 8 Easyjet flights for a stag do. After making the 2 bookings (think it was a maximum of 4/6 tickets per booking) I realised my slightly temperamental wireless keyboard had meant I dropped the final n to call one of the party Benjami. I phoned them up and they said I didn't need to do anything, and there were absolutely no issue whatsoever when checking in (as far as I could tell, no actual correction was ever done). I seem to recall them saying spelling errors for up to 3 characters were fine, and they didn't say to get there early to correct it either.

killtwist

Jan 24, 2010
I had a similar issue when booking a flight with easy jet earlier this year, the name had been put in slightly wrong. I gave them a ring and they did it over the phone for free as was not an alteration to the booking, just a spelling error. If you have time would be worth the phone call to make sure there is no problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here