Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm 'Team Hyypia' and proud of it, anyone else?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What I think of Hyypia as a coach and our current form is irrelevant to my point.

We have no divine right to be in the playoffs, get promoted or even "do well" and, with the squad we had last season, even then we overachieved. And I seem to remember Oscar Garcia getting stick on here week in, week out. I'd love to go back and quote each and every person who said "I'd rather we lost 4-3 than win another boring 1-0 etc etc etc".

People just don't know how good they've got it in THE BIGGER PICTURE.

I know we have no divine right to the playoffs but if this form continues WE ARE GOING DOWN. How many different ways are there to say it before the happy clappers realise we're in trouble?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
What a pompous load of shite! We all know our history but that doesn't mean we have to to grovellingly accept the substandard rubbish currently being served up . I havent met a single fan that expected a repeat of the last two seasons achievements but to be critical of a team in the bottom five after 12 games seemingly without the management team to turn things round does not make anybody a bad fan. To carry on with the same, clearly failing ,set up for another 6 weeks or so could be a disaster for the club. Never forget our past but always remember the future.

This

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
NSC makes me laugh; but it's not just NSC, is it? The Argus comments and even just listening to fans at matches... People have no idea. Moaning at Bloom, moaning about Hyypia, moaning about the price of pies or queue to buy a beer at our swish, brand new all seater stadium IN BRIGHTON. When I was a kid we went to the dilapidated Goldstone, the club was going out of business. We moved to Gillingham for ****s sake; I watched the worst game of football in my life (Doncaster 0-0) with Michael Mahoney-Johnson up front.

Fast forward, we're 19th in League One, we're playing at an athletics ground and untried new manager Gus Poyet has just been appointed. We are fighting to avoid relegation to league 2 and paying (fairly) similar prices to sit 50 yards from the pitch. In the rain. With no roof. The players were training on a university pitch.

We reach the playoffs two seasons running despite having a fraction of the budget of some clubs, and changing managers in the second season.

And people have the bloody nerve to talk about "worst Albion performance ever" losing 2-1 to a very good Middlesborough side, in the Championship. Spending £1m on a goalkeeper. Remember Mark Bloody Walton?!

I can only assume most Albion fans are JCL's, teenagers or have very short memories. With some of the abuse he gets, I wonder what's stopping Bloom from calling in all his debts, sticking two fingers up and letting and the club go down the toilet. THEN maybe people will get a sense of perspective.

Thank you for the history lesson but a lot of us were there and did witness it, Just because we had a bad period to contend with it doesn't mean we're not allowed to question where we are now and where we are going in the future.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
NSC makes me laugh; but it's not just NSC, is it? The Argus comments and even just listening to fans at matches... People have no idea. Moaning at Bloom, moaning about Hyypia, moaning about the price of pies or queue to buy a beer at our swish, brand new all seater stadium IN BRIGHTON. When I was a kid we went to the dilapidated Goldstone, the club was going out of business. We moved to Gillingham for ****s sake; I watched the worst game of football in my life (Doncaster 0-0) with Michael Mahoney-Johnson up front.

Fast forward, we're 19th in League One, we're playing at an athletics ground and untried new manager Gus Poyet has just been appointed. We are fighting to avoid relegation to league 2 and paying (fairly) similar prices to sit 50 yards from the pitch. In the rain. With no roof. The players were training on a university pitch.

We reach the playoffs two seasons running despite having a fraction of the budget of some clubs, and changing managers in the second season.

And people have the bloody nerve to talk about "worst Albion performance ever" losing 2-1 to a very good Middlesborough side, in the Championship. Spending £1m on a goalkeeper. Remember Mark Bloody Walton?!

I can only assume most Albion fans are JCL's, teenagers or have very short memories. With some of the abuse he gets, I wonder what's stopping Bloom from calling in all his debts, sticking two fingers up and letting and the club go down the toilet. THEN maybe people will get a sense of perspective.

bit harsh all those thumbs down..so I've given u an up....but peeps are frustrated at the mo and fearing the worst...best cut them some slack

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Team Out'? is that what team you are on if you want him gone? 'Team Sack'? Hopefully not 'Team Jones'.

I'm 'Team Time' with Robinson Tony!!

In the summer I was, due to getting on very early, Team Clement.
I then became entrenched in Team Oscar when he started getting a kicking.
So I never fully committed to Team Hyypia.

One thing though, Team Sherwood can do one.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I want an ENGLISH manager who understands ENGLISH football and has managed in ENGLAND preferably at Championship level. That is probably too much to ask.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

Clueless, the past is the past, however it's not like we still do not have a ground and no money. Tony has invested a lot of money and effort into getting a great ground and a competitive squad. If you are going to build a stadium that holds 30 thousand plus, then I would presume you would hope to fill it and have ambitions to play at least the top end of the championship and one day the premiership. Like it or not football has become a business with the fans metaphorically the share holders. Those share holders want value for their money or they will no longer invest in that club, like it or not, those are plain simple facts. If we find ourselves in a relegation battle this season, it will impact on attendances and like it or not if we did go down, you could see the season ticket sales next season drop considerably, might be lucky to get 15,000 on match days ( until the club start winning). The impact of relegation could set the club back years. The most important thing this season is to remain in this league and that might just mean that we have to change the manager.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Because our recent flirtation with foreign managers has not been a success (yes I know, playoffs two seasons in succession, but we've bottled when we got there) and as a result we've had too many managerial changes which in unsettling for the club and has meant two successive summers without a manager in place.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I don't remember defending Hyypia's performance as coach so far. But, seeing as I'm playing devil's advocate to the foaming masses...

Guided team to the last 16 of the League Cup for the first time since the 1979-80 season, earning an away payday to a top Premier League side.

Unbeaten in five before yesterday's poor result, including three away matches (Watford and Notts Forest, two promotion candidates) and three clean sheets for Stockdale

Club sold last season's leading scorer and key player, Ulloa. Replaced in part by Chris O'Grady, who is allegedly on his way out of the club at Hyypia's behest of reports are to be believed. Another key player, Kuszczak also missing from last season's side. Plus Will Buckley, Ashley Barnes, Liam Bridcutt who all played last season at least in part.

Hyypia very unlikely to be directly involved in player recruitment, therefore he's picking someone else's team in an effort to get a bunch of players he doesn't know playing to his style.

I think there's been an awful lot of factors which are damaging our performance and on balance we're about where we should be for the level of investment made in the squad and the players who have left.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because our recent flirtation with foreign managers has not been a success (yes I know, playoffs two seasons in succession, but we've bottled when we got there) and as a result we've had too many managerial changes which in unsettling for the club and has meant two successive summers without a manager in place.

How you can genuinely say that our use of foreign managers has not been a success completely baffles me. It is utter nonsense. We were down the bottom of league 1 when Poyet joined, and finished 4th in the Championship when he left. Oscar took over with no pre-season and an arguable weaker squad, suffered the worst injury crisis in the history of the club and still managed to make the play-offs.

Your pathetically dull xenophobia gets in the way of reality. It's 2014 for goodness sake.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Come on, you can't keep on harping on about the bad old days. It has zero relevance to the set-up today, the revenues, budgets and squad. We have been within 180 minutes of the Premier League twice rather more recently than Gillingham.

I actually agree with you about that Doncaster game at Gillingham, it is by far and away the worst game of professional football I have ever seen, let alone Albion performance. Clearly anyone who says that about Boro is a JCL. And Donny is a valid point of reference, but only in a nostalgic way these days.

You say people have 'no idea'...but if we're honest, you have no idea whether or not Hyypia will be a success for us in the Championship. You don't know, and you can't know - any more than those who say he never will be and should go. At the moment the evidence is suggesting he is struggling to make an impact, but he could yet turn it around. However he needs to turn it around quickly, because by any standards relegation would be a massive failure.

If we're right down near the bottom in a couple of months, if not sooner, there will be huge pressure to make a change from the board. Not even from the fans calling for his head, but from the idea that they would vote with their feet and League One crowds would be down to 15,000 or less. And it appears in our model at the moment the crowds are hugely important financially.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Come on, you can't keep on harping on about the bad old days. It has zero relevance to the set-up today, the revenues, budgets and squad. We have been within 180 minutes of the Premier League twice rather more recently than Gillingham.

I actually agree with you about that Doncaster game at Gillingham, it is by far and away the worst game of professional football I have ever seen, let alone Albion performance. Clearly anyone who says that about Boro is a JCL. And Donny is a valid point of reference, but only in a nostalgic way these days.

You say people have 'no idea'...but if we're honest, you have no idea whether or not Hyypia will be a success for us in the Championship. You don't know, and you can't know - any more than those who say he never will be and should go. At the moment the evidence is suggesting he is struggling to make an impact, but he could yet turn it around. However he needs to turn it around quickly, because by any standards relegation would be a massive failure.

If we're right down near the bottom in a couple of months, if not sooner, there will be huge pressure to make a change from the board. Not even from the fans calling for his head, but from the idea that they would vote with their feet and League One crowds would be down to 15,000 or less. And it appears in our model at the moment the crowds are hugely important financially.

Actually, it's my opinion that he won't be a success here, and that we will change manager at some point this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What I think of Hyypia as a coach and our current form is irrelevant to my point.

We have no divine right to be in the playoffs, get promoted or even "do well" and, with the squad we had last season, even then we overachieved. And I seem to remember Oscar Garcia getting stick on here week in, week out. I'd love to go back and quote each and every person who said "I'd rather we lost 4-3 than win another boring 1-0 etc etc etc".

People just don't know how good they've got it in THE BIGGER PICTURE.

THIS!

I agree with everyone that has said yesterday's performance was poor. No question at all. But bad performances happen to all teams. Middlesbrough played their part in that.
Our performances against Watford, Forest and Cardiff deserved far better IMHO. Gives me enough belief in his managerial skills.

Calling for the manager's head is taking things way too far.
I'd still give him 2 years to show what he can do.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Another Team Fence here. Although if I watch too many more games with us passing the ball along the edge of the penalty area without any hope of penetration then that might change

If I have to watch too many more games of 'Greer to Dunk...back to Greer....to Dunk....to Greer...and now to Dunk' I might just die from all the excitement.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
i said on a thread a few days ago that I'm incredibly proud of our club and I am. To survive what we did and to be where we are is a tribute to everyone who supported the Albion through the bad years. I think the club is now being run as a modern football club needs to be. But it's worth putting things in management speak for a minute. What is the product that is being sold? What is the Albion as a product?

it seems to me that there has been an increasingly strong emphasis on the club as a product to maximise revenue streams. This makes complete commercial and financial sense, in its own terms. But a football club is not a conventional product - maximising revenue streams is not just about selling the club as product, it is also about selling the team on the pitch. i think a bit of sight has been lost there. The two products - club and team - can't be separated, and we're now at a point where that is becoming clear - there needs to be more (controlled) investment in the team as product in order to maximise income from commercial streams.

I'm on the fence regarding SH but more convinced than ever that Oscar was the potentially greatest manager we ever had. Everything ought to have been done to keep him.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The one area where I have sympathy for Hyypia, apart from more injuries, is having Paul Barber in the background talking about maintaining squads competitive enough to challenge for promotion. This one clearly isn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here