Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber on communication, transparency, finances, the fans and club staff

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Did we really need to build a 15-20m training complex at this junction with all the running costs it will entail?

We have built a very expensive stadium and training facility that appears to need lots of sugar daddy funding to sustain. As has been mentioned the debt that continues to grow will need to be paid by someone at some time.

Think you will find it was much more expensive than that

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So, excusing the fact I've barely bothered to read all the stuff before this, are we really losing £1mil a month?

Love the way Barber has mugged off some posters who give stupid conspiracy theories - top work!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So, excusing the fact I've barely bothered to read all the stuff before this, are we really losing £1mil a month?

Love the way Barber has mugged off some posters who give stupid conspiracy theories - top work!

It would appear so, which perhaps shows how difficult the Championship can be without parachute payments

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
Did we really need to build a 15-20m training complex at this junction with all the running costs it will entail?

We have built a very expensive stadium and training facility that appears to need lots of sugar daddy funding to sustain. As has been mentioned the debt that continues to grow will need to be paid by someone at some time.

doesn't barnham have a decent football team you can support ...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maybe El pres can answer that one, because if we are suggesting that a director can't put in a donation/ share issue etc to raise funds, then how are clubs expected to raise those funds to compete?

So therefore by inference, only teams with parachute payments or ones that play bargain hunt with players will survive.

If we can't compete when we have of the highest crowds and season ticket holders bringing in regular money, we are truly ****ed!

In each of the last two seasons we were 180 minutes from the Premier League under broadly similar circumstances .

Parachute payments don't help, but they are a double edged sword. This is because relegated clubs have committed to paying PL wages to players who, by definition, aren't good enough for the PL. Zigic at Birmingham on £50 a week, Barton at QPR on £70k a week, O'Hara in the reserves at League 1 Wolves on £35k a week come to mind.

Having less money doesn't prevent you being promoted. Palace and Burnley have done it in last two seasons, Derby and Watford both made the play-off finals.

Having money does increase the probability of a higher finish though, but there is always a random element in football, and that turns up the unexpected.

Too many people IMO equate tickets sold with total revenue, at the Albion it's 51%, but for relegated clubs it might only be 20% due to parachute payments.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Disagree.

TB has converted about £80 million of debt into equity already, nothing to say he can't do the same with the remainder.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
doesn't barnham have a decent football team you can support ...

Um I am just raising a concern.

I fully support the club on the pitch and happy we have a fan in charge of the club but that does not mean I agree with everything the club does or have concerns about certain decisions.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Look at Southampton and the money they have raised from selling home grown talent, Walcott, Bale, Lallana etc. Palace are another that have made money from the sale of their academy players. The fact that we are category A means we can poach players from other academies rather than the other way around.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Fair point, Your right silly me over reacting to something of nothing. Instead I will concentrate of getting behind the team as usual come rain or shine and spend my money and ask no questions...... Bah..... bah..... bah.....

I'm not saying you should just meekly toe the line. By all means complain about things that the club can try and address, whether that be ticketing, catering etc but don't expect the club, or any club for that matter, to give you the accounting detail you seem to crave.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Look at Southampton and the money they have raised from selling home grown talent, Walcott, Bale, Lallana etc. Palace are another that have made money from the sale of their academy players. The fact that we are category A means we can poach players from other academies rather than the other way around.

Yes I totally understand this, however we don't appear to have the income streams to support the operation cost at present without being propped up by Tony.

We will see what happens in the long run, I'm hoping for the best however it doesn't hurt to question the club from time to time. History tells us this

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm not saying you should just meekly toe the line. By all means complain about things that the club can try and address, whether that be ticketing, catering etc but don't expect the club, or any club for that matter, to give you the accounting detail you seem to crave.

I don't crave anything other than the love from my family, just questions Drew. Have a pleasant evening fella

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Yes I totally understand this, however we don't appear to have the income streams to support the operation cost at present without being propped up by Tony.

We will see what happens in the long run, I'm hoping for the best however it doesn't hurt to question the club from time to time. History tells us this

Don't forget the cost of running the academy, as I understand it, falls outside FFP. So TB can fund that until, hopefully, it is self funding, or as near as it can get.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
My son is visiting. He has lived in Vancouver since 2004, where Paul Barber was previously employed. We've been reading this thread with interest and he pointed me in the direction of the following article at the end of my post which was written after Paul left the Whitecaps. Before we get to that I do want to say that, as far as I am concerned, the jury remains out on his tenure at our club. I don't buy the "My style, supported by Tony and the Board, is to be as open and as transparent as I can possibly be" line. It is not backed up by his previous employment, in my opinion. I believe this 'style' is a requirement of the Board, due to the reasons that he laid out in his communication above. I don't like the big rises in costs of food and beverages at the ground that have never been justified. I didn't buy the answer to my own question at the fan forum in August regarding season ticket numbers ("every club is losing 7% of their fanbase each year as people move away" etc...). More people move to this area than move away each year. The reason for the reduction in season ticket holders was because of the lack of entertainment throughout last year, another summer of turmoil, increased matchday costs, and the failure to replace our best players who were sold in January and over the summer. I don't like the fact that the club refuse to accept that the summer transfer window (and, for that matter, the last January window too) was a cluster that resulted in SH having to start the season with shackles. Admit it didn't go well and tell us everyone will work to ensure it is not repeated again. That would be transparent. The best clubs in this division had their teams ready for early August. We didn't. The best teams didn't weaken their squads in January. We did.

All that said, you may be surprised to hear that I am encouraged by much of what Paul has achieved at the club. He has successfully increased our corporate sponsorship, listened to fans regarding the first catering firm's issues and I believe he has prepared the club well in many ways (yes, PLR) to take the next step. But I struggle to accept his, or anyone else's word for that matter, about their own achievements - in particular when it has anything to do with our club - without some due diligence and perspective.

Purely for purposes of balance, take a look at the following article. There are enough similarities between what we have seen in Paul and what this article is saying that I do give it some credence. I just hope that in a few years time we are not looking back on his tenure at the club in the same way. Only time will tell.

http://aftncanada.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/paul-barber-he-came-he-saw-he-failed.html?m=1

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Who is advocating not buying merchandise, not buying pies and beer at the Amex and not buying STs? What utter bellendery.

I for one am happy making a two hundred mile round trip every other Saturday to watch us get done by teams operating on (comparatively) sweet FA. And enjoy paying over the odds for beef and snacks while I'm at it.

Is there a carvery at the stadium now

(someone's probably already done a joke like this so sorry)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It can't just be me that's glad a member of the senior management team at this club takes time out of their day to read NSC and draft up a well written, concise and informed response, right?

As much as I'm impressed with PB's essay I wouldn't call it concise, and was slightly disappointed with the lack of smileys.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My son is visiting. He has lived in Vancouver since 2004, where Paul Barber was previously employed. We've been reading this thread with interest and he pointed me in the direction of the following article at the end of my post which was written after Paul left the Whitecaps. Before we get to that I do want to say that, as far as I am concerned, the jury remains out on his tenure at our club. I don't buy the "My style, supported by Tony and the Board, is to be as open and as transparent as I can possibly be" line. It is not backed up by his previous employment, in my opinion. I believe this 'style' is a requirement of the Board, due to the reasons that he laid out in his communication above. I don't like the big rises in costs of food and beverages at the ground that have never been justified. I didn't buy the answer to my own question at the fan forum in August regarding season ticket numbers ("every club is losing 7% of their fanbase each year as people move away" etc...). More people move to this area than move away each year. The reason for the reduction in season ticket holders was because of the lack of entertainment throughout last year, another summer of turmoil, increased matchday costs, and the failure to replace our best players who were sold in January and over the summer. I don't like the fact that the club refuse to accept that the summer transfer window (and, for that matter, the last January window too) was a cluster that resulted in SH having to start the season with shackles. Admit it didn't go well and tell us everyone will work to ensure it is not repeated again. That would be transparent. The best clubs in this division had their teams ready for early August. We didn't. The best teams didn't weaken their squads in January. We did.

All that said, you may be surprised to hear that I am encouraged by much of what Paul has achieved at the club. He has successfully increased our corporate sponsorship, listened to fans regarding the first catering firm's issues and I believe he has prepared the club well in many ways (yes, PLR) to take the next step. But I struggle to accept his, or anyone else's word for that matter, about their own achievements - in particular when it has anything to do with our club - without some due diligence and perspective.

Purely for purposes of balance, take a look at the following article. There are enough similarities between what we have seen in Paul and what this article is saying that I do give it some credence. I just hope that in a few years time we are not looking back on his tenure at the club in the same way. Only time will tell.

http://aftncanada.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/paul-barber-he-came-he-saw-he-failed.html?m=1

Thanks for this. An interesting read and yes, I also see the similarities you mention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here