Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] The Old Grey Whistle Test to return - BBC4 tonight

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It really is grim. I've been going off to make a cup of tea during the dull bits. Never drunk so much tea in my life. May have actually poisoned myself. The only way it can possibly get any worse is if Bonnie Raitt wins the phone-in vote.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Gary Numan curiously impressive. Is his daughter miming tho? That's an OGWT no-no shirley?

Found his performance with his daughter quite heartwarming. She's only 12. Most 12 year old girls would find it excruciatingly embarassing to be on stage with their dads, especially if their dad was Gary Numan doing his thing so good on her.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It really is grim. I've been going off to make a cup of tea during the dull bits. Never drunk so much tea in my life. May have actually poisoned myself. The only way it can possibly get any worse is if Bonnie Raitt wins the phone-in vote.

I'm persevering in the hope that every 45 minutes or so they play someone I love. Remote control getting a hammering in channel surfing avoiding the shit.

Good for me now The Smiths.

Edit: they get just 10 seconds, whilst Bob's 70's hippy mates get epochs.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I was really looking forward to this but they have totally messed up, self indulgent back slapping rubbish. Trying to make out they invented the music video when the Beatles and other sixties bands like the Kinks and Pink Floyd had been doing it for years. Got excited when Queen Bitch started up, Then realised it was the start of loads of segments of great performances that were there to torture us as to what might have been. Who cares about all the has been presenters, they were rubbish even in the day.
Makes you realise how brilliant Later..with Jules Holland is. That truly mixes genres in only a way the OGWT can imagine, although they are probably going to take credit for that.
Jesus they just cut the Wailers mid song. Total f.. up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was really looking forward to this but they have totally messed up, self indulgent back slapping rubbish. Trying to make out they invented the music video when the Beatles and other sixties bands like the Kinks and Pink Floyd had been doing it for years. Got excited when Queen Bitch started up, Then realised it was the start of loads of segments of great performances that were there to torture us as to what might have been. Who cares about all the has been presenters, they were rubbish even in the day.
Makes you realise how brilliant Later..with Jules Holland is. That truly mixes genres in only a way the OGWT can imagine, although they are probably going to take credit for that.
Jesus they just cut the Wailers mid song. Total f.. up.

This prog could and should have been so good. Instead it was hijacked by a narrow minority view of music of Bob and his mates.

Over so many hours, they could have packed with full length footage of a track each per plethora of legendary bands, interspersed with live bands playing a single track and BRIEF chats.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
For all those complaining about the very short clips in the montage sequences, have a short break at midnight and come back at 00.40 for OGWT 70s Gold and 90 minutes for full clips.

I see some of you are finding the show dull. Is this down to the fact that most of the live music has been acoustic as opposed to full bands. Personally I am enjoying the show, as certainly in its earlier years OGWT did showcase many acoustic and piano centric singers, so just continuing the tradition.

If the OGWT is to return as a series, then the mix between old and new has to full present in the studio, so who to put together.

As an opening show I would go with

Wishbone Ash and Graham Parker to represent the past, and The Strypes and Stone Foundation for the new(ish).

But what would others like to see to overcome the dullness that some seem to believe is present

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
This prog could and should have been so good. Instead it was hijacked by a narrow minority view of music of Bob and his mates.

Over so many hours, they could have packed with full length footage of a track each per plethora of legendary bands, interspersed with live bands playing a single track and BRIEF chats.
Quite it was not rocket science, however in true OGWT style they could not conform to a norm, instead teasing and giving us a load of stuff they loved and turning it into a mass goo of self indulgence. Just as frustrating as watching in the seventies. I blame myself I should have known better.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Quite it was not rocket science, however in true OGWT style they could not conform to a norm, instead teasing and giving us a load of stuff they loved and turning it into a mass goo of self indulgence. Just as frustrating as watching in the seventies. I blame myself I should have known better.

There were several genre that didn't properly feature this evening, even though acts of that ilk had starred on OGWT back in the day. Instead, we got a very narrow view.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I must confess I did find myself admiring the studio furniture more than I might have done. That brown leather armchair and sofa were quite stylish as was the glass top astro style coffee table.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I just tried to watch it, but instead started checking out the links people had posted here, and then ended up going on one of those YouTube meanders where one thing leads to another...

And found something that makes me feel even older than all the OGTW clips put together.

Back in the 90s, I loved Magnapop. Mainly because Ruthie Morris was an absolute ****ing guitar legend, and Linda Hopper wasn't exactly offensive on the eye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CuZkhhqc7U

But now, thanks to YouTube, I've found out they've reformed. And Christ, it's like seeing a bunch of grannies taking over the day lounge at the Nursing Home:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8SEuewFu7M

I feel thoroughly depressed at how fast time passes now.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Love the way you've put this. It was a dreadful show, and thankfully I dozed off by about 11. There was some great footage in there but, as you say, that was limited to 5 to 10 seconds. The live/contemporary stuff was utterly dire too. Never mind, BBC4 are showing something on minimalism next week, which will be a damn sight more interesting -- there have been some absolutely brilliant, informative programmes from 9pm on Friday nights on BBC4, so I'll still persevere with it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, I have recorded it but last night we decided the snooker was a better bet after the excruciatingly crap start, with a clip montage over the sound of a Led Zep LP track (a la MOTD intro), followed by sixty nine year old Kiki ****ing Dee. I thought she was dead. Instead she's ressurected as the brother of David Walliam's 'Emily'. I've got the hormone and vitamin supplements in me.

Dare I watch the recording later or would I be better employed chiselling the frost off my Echiums?

Edit - having read some of the posts above I shall be deleting the recording and rescuing my frozen garden instead.....

edit edtit .....and no, that isn't a euphemism :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm starting to feel very smug now. I did know better, and didn't switch it on!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
too much boring chit chat
the music, well, it was like being given everything on the menu .... to sniff, and then having a morsel of Bob Marley thrown at you.
Entirety my BIG FAT WHITE ARZE :rant:
I'm looking forward to watching my box set tonight when I get home from match

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Well, I have recorded it but last night we decided the snooker was a better bet after the excruciatingly crap start, with a clip montage over the sound of a Led Zep LP track (a la MOTD intro), followed by sixty nine year old Kiki ****ing Dee. I thought she was dead. Instead she's ressurected as the brother of David Walliam's 'Emily'. I've got the hormone and vitamin supplements in me.

Dare I watch the recording later or would I be better employed chiselling the frost off my Echiums?

Edit - having read some of the posts above I shall be deleting the recording and rescuing my frozen garden instead.....

thanks, your post made me laugh

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

thanks, your post made me laugh

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here