Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Esports

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
and passed you by it has, especially when you say "it" :) Esport is effectively the professionalisation of computer games playing, and includes a large number of different games depending on popularity, and the release of the game.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I've not participated as an eSportsman, but I have been involved in helping run some eSports events in the past.

As [MENTION=13052]narly101[/MENTION] said, eSports encompasses a whole range of games. From the obvious ones (FIFA, Racing sims) through to the forever-young Counterstrike, and the highly successful League of Legends, there's plenty of games out there that support eSports. LoL especially, there's a massive professional scene that spans the globe, encompassing regional qualifying tournaments and a huge World Championship every year. LoL teams typically have a squad of players, a manager, PR staff ... essentially all the trappings of a pro "normal" sports team.

IMO it won't be long before we see an eSports event included in an Olympic Games as a demonstration sport, and beyond that it won't be long before an actual eSports variant of the Olympics is created to run alongside the real thing.

When an eSports event can get stadium crowds like this, you know it's arrived as a "thing":

league-of-legfaker-of-skt-t1-atlol-world-championship-at-the-staples-center-lol-world-championsh.jpg

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
South Korea is crazy mad about Starcraft. It's a massive esport over there complete with leagues, professionals, scandals, bungs etc.

eSports is *big* in South Korea. Much bigger than just StarCraft. StarCraft is what got the ball rolling over there, but it's long since been eclipsed. It's League of Legends that has been the most popular for quite some time now, despite a challenge from Blizzard's new game Overwatch last year (briefly became the #1 game in PC Bangs, but most recent data has LoL back at #1 with nearly a third share).

South Korea also has a very strong professional body for eSports (KeSPA), and is also the home for the International body (IeSF) (they also share the same president). KeSPA has successfully had eSports listed as a "level 2" Olympic sport in Korea, and they're leading the push to try to get eSports officially into the Olympics proper.

Last edited:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Starcraft is yesterday's news in South Korea. It's League of Legends that has been the most popular for quite some time now, despite a challenge from Blizzard's new game Overwatch last year (briefly became the #1 game in PC Bangs, but most recent data has LoL back at #1 with nearly a third share).

Blimey, didn't know that. I thought Starcraft was king.

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
There are a fair few professional live streamers as well on twitch.tv that make a decent bank whilst not being linked to a team.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Blimey, didn't know that. I thought Starcraft was king.

Sorry, you're quote doesn't make sense now ... I did some editing and added some extra info.

StarCraft was massive, and I believe is still one of the main players, but it's not *the* game anymore. That all changed with Riot Games and League of Legends - a lot of the change being because League was *created* primarily with eSports in mind, and Riot made a massive bet on eSports taking off (which has paid off big time for them). StarCraft, on the other hand, was a big eSports title more by accident than design. Sure, it was designed to be a multiplayer game - but all of the genuine eSports elements were retrofitted in after it took off as an eSports title, while League had eSports baked in from the moment the designers wrote the first piece of code.

In many respects, you can say that Riot out-Blizzarded Blizzard. Blizzard's always been known as the developer that will take a game genre, put their own IP on it, polish it until the cows come home, and launch a game that no other company can get close to matching. That's pretty much what Riot did to Blizzard: the style of game that League is was birthed in a Blizzard title (from player-created mods), and Riot has turned it into something that so far no one else has been able to match (included Blizzard themselves, and they have tried).

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Horrible spectre of sofabound children dreaming about growing up to be an eSports player...

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It's just the modern version of GamesMaster isn't it? Without the cocky Scottish presenter and the floating head of an astronomer.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Horrible spectre of sofabound children dreaming about growing up to be an eSports player...

Oddly enough, if you look at the top levels of eSports you won't see many round people. They've generally all got at least a moderate level of physical fitness - they need the physical stamina to support the mental agility needed to play these games competitively.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Oddly enough, if you look at the top levels of eSports you won't see many round people. They've generally all got at least a moderate level of physical fitness - they need the physical stamina to support the mental agility needed to play these games competitively.
Oh, that's all right then.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh, that's all right then.

I'm not 'professional' by any stretch of the imagination but my primary hobby, from the age of six or so (I'm almost thirty-two now), has been playing videogames. If I'm at home and I've got half hour to spare I'm usually sat on my arse playing something or other. I also work in the technology sector so spend my time at work on my arse in front of a screen. But I also make sure to get myself into the gym at least twice a week. It's entirely possible to enjoy sedentary habits and not end up being overweight.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
I used to play LoL at a pretty high standard (also quite a bit of CS:GO) but had to quit due to the sheer amount of time it consumes. Is ok if you make it as a pro or are streaming and getting donations, but the competition is fierce! (+ I'm not getting any younger)

Still occasionally have the odd game of League... Anyone else here play? I did make a post about a year ago on here but no responses.

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
Played since season 1. Peaked at Plat 1 a couple of seasons ago but got placed in Silver II this year! Losing my skills as i get older and also don't play enough anymore to keep track of whats meta. Still enjoy watching NA/EU LCS.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Played since season 1. Peaked at Plat 1 a couple of seasons ago but got placed in Silver II this year! Losing my skills as i get older and also don't play enough anymore to keep track of whats meta. Still enjoy watching NA/EU LCS.

Nice, yeh I was high Plat in S3 but the placements seem to get harsher each season. S7 especially! That, and like you say, age starts to factor in a bit! :down:

What role do you main btw?

twiggles

Feb 14, 2014
Nice, yeh I was high Plat in S3 but the placements seem to get harsher each season. S7 especially! That, and like you say, age starts to factor in a bit! :down:

What role do you main btw?

Jungle was my preferred but was happy filling any position. you?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
Jungle was my preferred but was happy filling any position. you?

Mid is prefered role (Syndra/Cassiopea/Orianna mainly) but will fill if needed. I don't mind playing any lane/role where it's possible to carry a suffering game if required. Bot lane just a bit of a risk as a lot of the time you either get a shit support if ADC or visa versa in Solo Q. At-least from Mid (and Jungle) you can roam and help stop newbs from feeding over and over...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here