Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NSC Easter Bunny CD 2015

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Or he could have just heard how entertaining my Facebook posts are. Stop looking for the worst in people.

Thank you - you're right. Unfair and mean-spirited of me. I'll bet your Facebook posts are of a consistently high quality and include some well-made points on matters of state. He has seen this and wants a piece of the pie. Watch him though. That's all I'm saying. Watch him.

Flex Your Head

Here's the fisrt half of my review - I'll do the second half some time soon, but Ms Flex needs the computer to do 'something important'. Tsk!

Here's the scary cover:

View attachment 53939 (it's actually at the bottom of the page - grrr!)

I Googled "crow's head egg" and this was the second image. Sounds interesting...

http://www.culture24.org.uk/art/photography-and-film/film-art/art457523

Here are the songs...

1. Food for Songs – Del Amitri. This has a bluesy, vaguely swampy feel to it and includes wailing harmonica and the kind of fret-work which causes the axe-wielder to pull pained yet ecstatic faces. Quite surprising then that it comes from bonny Scotland and not Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Not really my cup of tea but sounds very accomplished.

2. Human – The Killers. I kind of stopped paying attention to the Killers after Hot Fuzz, but I guess this was a single because it sounds very familiar. I quite like it – stadium rock that you could jog to. (You could, not me; I’m heading to Chubsterville.)

3. Grarse Rooster – Wobbly Squadron. Imagine an episode of Spooks whereby the cast have to go and investigate shady dealings in a nightclub. The scene would start with them entering and trying to look inconspicuous, spreading out and keeping in contact with just a few little eye movements and nods. And then the baddie would make a run for it out the back exit and dash off down a grimy, poorly lit alley; the goodies give chase. At one point they lose sight of the nefarious villain, and tiptoe around a bit, acting warily, but then he re-appears from a dumpster and legs it again. And we’re off, back on the chase.
This would be playing away in the background throughout. Dubby bass and a dancey feel. Brand new to me and not bad at all.

4. Spanish Bombs – The Clash. Absolute classic. Most of my Clash stuff is on vinyl and doesn’t get played anywhere near as often as it should, so this sounded really fresh and just bloody ace. I’m a keen reader on anything to do with The Spanish Civil War (see my avatar), and there are plenty of references here.

“They sang the red flag
They wore the black one”

As a bonus, my 19 month son has danced and bopped to this every time I’ve played it. Lil dude!

5. Albion – Babyshambles. Great title (obv) and much better than I was expecting. I’d not heard the band before but had heard all about Pete Doherty’s ‘problems’ – I wouldn’t have expected them to sound like this. Decent.

6. Town Called Malice – The Jam. Takes me back to school discos, Tyedean Youth Club and The Joff. I had a mate called Alan who used to idolise Paul Weller and even started smoking Rothmans because there was a packet next to him in a photo in Smash Hits. Alan’s mum let someone take topless pictures of her once. We know this because he showed us them.
Weller didn’t half go on to release some dull old shite, didn’t he? Thought he was Stevie Winwood for a couple of years, the daft old prune.

7. Heroes – Davis Bowie. I think Sebastian Coe wrote this for the Olympics or something. It’s bloody great.

8. A Change is Gonna Come – Sam Cooke. The unofficial anthem of the Civil Rights Movement in 1960’s America and a thing of poignant beauty.

9. Colour – Wild Cub. Another brand new one to me and I quite like it. I think it’s fairly recent, but it could have come from any time from the mid 80’s onwards. It sounds like it could feature on a TV advertised compilation called “Alternative Driving Classics” or something, but don’t let that put you off. I might see if they’ve got anything on YouTube after this.

10. Sidewalking – The Jesus & Mary Chain. What a massive sound. I used to love this mob and this was probably released at the time when every band loosely defined as ‘indie’ declared “there’s always been a dance element to our music”. Grrreat stuff.

I'm thoroughly enjoying myself thanks, and will 'do' part 2 as soon as I can :thumbsup:

Attachments

• NSC CD Cover.jpg
    NSC CD Cover.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

Flex Your Head

[MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION] - can we have a list of who's yet to be outed as the disc compiler; I haven't got a clue who mine might be.

Also, [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - discs arrived Saturday morning. Thanks very much. Once I've done part 2 of my review, I'll give 'em a spin and jot down some thoughts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
As far as I can tell this is the current state of play on who has had their CD's etc

Tinycowboy - CD received and reviewed from Catfish
Somerset - CD received and reviewed from Spring Hall Convert
Staly - CD received and reviewed from Flex Your Head
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received and reviewed from Somerset
happypig - cd received and reviewed from Frutos
Gordon Bennett - CD received and reviewed from Mellotron
Mellotron - CD received and reviewed from hans kraay fan club
hans kraay fan club received and reviewed from Stoo82
Mowgli37 - CD received and reviewed - JamesAndTheGiantHead
willyfantastic - CD received and reviewed - still to guess
CorgiRegisteredFriend - CD received and reviewed - still to guess
Frutos - CD received and reviewed - still to guess

The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed (although I might have missed the reviews as I went through the thread)

MikeySmall - CD received
Spring Hall Convert - CD received
Flex Your Head - CD received and part reviewed

The following are yet to confirm they have received their CD (please can the senders update me on what is happening via PM)

Theatre of Trees
catfish - sender has contacted me regarding a PC issue which should be fixed soon and CD will be sent then.
JamesAndTheGiantHead
Pevenseagull - sender has said they've sent it, need confirmation.
Red Star Portslade - sender to send in the next couple of days
Stoo82 - Your CD is going to be resent, was sent a few weeks ago so it looks like it's been lost in the post, so sender is going to dispatch another copy.

The following are yet to be outed - Pevenseagull, Staly, Red Star Portslade, happypig, Mowgli37, Tinycowboy, CorgiRegisteredFriend, Gordon Bennett, MikeySmall, willyfantastic, Theatre of Trees and Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
As far as I can tell this is the current state of play on who has had their CD's etc

Tinycowboy - CD received and reviewed from Catfish
Somerset - CD received and reviewed from Spring Hall Convert
Staly - CD received and reviewed from Flex Your Head
Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo - CD received and reviewed from Somerset
happypig - cd received and reviewed from Frutos
Gordon Bennett - CD received and reviewed from Mellotron
Mellotron - CD received and reviewed from hans kraay fan club
hans kraay fan club received and reviewed from Stoo82
willyfantastic - CD received and reviewed - still to guess
Mowgli37 - CD received and reviewed - still to guess
CorgiRegisteredFriend - CD received and reviewed - still to guess
Frutos - CD received and reviewed - still to guess

The following have confirmed receipt of their CD but not yet reviewed (although I might have missed the reviews as I went through the thread)

MikeySmall - CD received
Spring Hall Convert - CD received
Flex Your Head - CD received and part reviewed

The following are yet to confirm they have received their CD (please can the senders update me on what is happening via PM)

Theatre of Trees
catfish - sender has contacted me regarding a PC issue which should be fixed soon and CD will be sent then.
JamesAndTheGiantHead
Pevenseagull - sender has said they've sent it, need confirmation.
Red Star Portslade - sender to send in the next couple of days
Stoo82 - Your CD is going to be resent, was sent a few weeks ago so it looks like it's been lost in the post, so sender is going to dispatch another copy.

I've correctly identified my sender; JamesAndTheGiantHead.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
5. Albion – Babyshambles. Great title (obv) and much better than I was expecting. I’d not heard the band before but had heard all about Pete Doherty’s ‘problems’ – I wouldn’t have expected them to sound like this. Decent.

I kid you not, the parent album of this song (Down In Albion) is an underrated gem. It lacked a bit of quality control but had some blinding tracks.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I kid you not, the parent album of this song (Down In Albion) is an underrated gem. It lacked a bit of quality control but had some blinding tracks.

Good summary. Doherty is a chap with some real talent - a fact that is almost always overlooked, in prerefence for rubber-necking the car-crash of his other nonsense.

Both Babyshambles and The Libertines have decent stuff, worthy of a listen.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Good summary. Doherty is a chap with some real talent - a fact that is almost always overlooked, in prerefence for rubber-necking the car-crash of his other nonsense.

Both Babyshambles and The Libertines have decent stuff, worthy of a listen.

Whereas Barat has released nothing of note since the 2nd Libs album. Doherty was undoubtedly the talent. I rememeber seeing Dirty Pretty Things at the Concorde a number of years ago - my god they were awful, talentless junk.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Also, [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] - discs arrived Saturday morning. Thanks very much. Once I've done part 2 of my review, I'll give 'em a spin and jot down some thoughts.

Wow. That's proper old school Royal Mail efficiency, for once. They went in the post box outside my work, in Hampshire, at 6pm on Friday night.

Barber OUT, or something.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
I've been thinking about it, and I think my *ahem* bunny may well be [MENTION=1131]Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo[/MENTION], our glorious organiser, himself.

Might not be though.

It's not me, although whoever it is that put together your CD has made some great choices. I'd have loved to have been the recipient.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Just realised I didn't upload the album cover, see below:

Edit: Pictures don't seem to be working on NSC :(

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Is it just me or has the sender of [MENTION=26695]Mowgli37[/MENTION] cd written "Sorry about ****" in the second picture.

edit - NSC filter, the word is pronounced twot by stupid americans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here