Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Cat-calling

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It is diffultt being a white male, yes. Solidarity, comrade.

:tantrum: :tantrum:

Yes, I too am feeling oppressed. I blame the all-reaching tentacles of that Bernie Grant. I now feel worthless :tantrum::tantrum::tantrum::shootself

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But a great demonstration of making a man feel as uncomfortable as women sometimes feel. The HR director was being questioned as to why they held up a complaint, so demonstrating the point was instructive to the other males.
So it's OK for a woman to make aggressive, sexist, lewd and abusive remarks to a man in the office if she's doing it to 'prove a point'? Okey doke, long live equality, carry on..........

Using lewd language was not an example of what was said beforehand so pretty unprofessional by the HR imo , the point of the meeting surely was to discuss what happened between two co workers not to make the other males feel instructed and guilty over something they had no hand in or would have.
I would have been extremely angry and upset if I was in that meeting and comments like that were aired for mine and other males benefit so as we could be educated for future reference. So I will agree to disagree
Hear hear! Well said.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Amusing reply but, hey, he's on my list of tosspots (blocked) so, meh. What gives? :lolol:

(apologies if I'm becoming annoyingly repetitively annoyingly repetitive :whistle::hilton::shootself)

In your workplace (within the NHS or Uni?), is it unwritten accepted that a senior male employee can comment on the curves/dress to a female colleague?

Just interested, in that large employer setting.

I've worked at relatively small firms, where the male bosses weren't raving hetero's obsessed with females at work. The male staff didn't over step either, other than the furtive attempted 'office smoothie'.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Correction.

Just some blokes.

And they do it for the 'flirtatious' reason - trying it on, testing the water, fancying and hoping they get fancied back, chancing their arm.

I worked with a bloke who in a professional office, who was not a loser with women, who made a move for every average to attractive female. It went on for years, decades, until all newcomers ended up 20 or 30 years younger than him. His rationale to me was "faint heart never won fair lady". If you don't ask, you'll never know.

In contrast the vast majority of blokes have never, and still don't, make attractive women feel uncomfortable in the workplace, near building sites, etc.

Not really sure I see your point, if there is one in fact.
You're trying to defend the fact that not all blokes are morons by telling a story about an office sex pest. I can't tell if you're defending men or women here?
Either way, your colleague was, and probably still is, a total wanker.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I deliberately didn't open that thread because I knew it would upset me. There's no point in complaining because this is a male dominated board, but I didn't like it being discussed.

You didn't miss anything. And the OP, who previously piously emoted about the 'footy lads' should be ashamed of himself for lacking any judgement or sense of perspective. Fight against terrorism? Yay! Talk about fannies? Yay! :facepalm: @wookie I think it was :shrug:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In your workplace (within the NHS or Uni?), is it unwritten accepted that a senior male employee can comment on the curves/dress to a female colleague?

Just interested, in that large employer setting.

I've worked at relatively small firms, where the male bosses weren't raving hetero's obsessed with females at work. The male staff didn't over step either, other than the furtive attempted 'office smoothie'.

Completly unacceptable and never happens. Not for more than 25 years. Our environment is long free of it. Mind you, there is any amount of consensual legover. Alledgely :thumbsup:

(a top 6 uni.....)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So it's OK for a woman to make aggressive, sexist, lewd and abusive remarks to a man in the office if she's doing it to 'prove a point'? Okey doke, long live equality, carry on..........

Hear hear! Well said.

I suspect you have misread [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really sure I see your point, if there is one in fact.
You're trying to defend the fact that not all blokes are morons by telling a story about an office sex pest. I can't tell if you're defending men or women here?

Sorry if unclear. In summary:

1. Most blokes don't make women uncomfortable in the work place, or other environments. So less generalising required.
2. I don't find it acceptable that some blokes, and possibly some women, do make others feel uncomfortable sexually. (This isn't a newly found, snowflake, whatever ... view). If unwanted, unprofessional, said by someone in power for example ... then the perpetrator is a bit of perve quite possibly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Strictly speaking, that may not be factually accurate........the 'colleague' was described as not a loser with women, so if he hit on every average to attractive female who joined the company, it is reasonable to assume that he was sometimes successful and so some of the time at least he may not have felt the need to be a wanker........

Totally irrelevant to this debate, I know! Pedantry - apologies!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
If you're a white male in a work place just keep your mouth shut with women. Easiest way by miles. I am watching racism and sexism take place in my work place to the detriment of careers and believe me you're burying yourself by complimenting someones dress or something in the current climate. Mouth shut. Work 2x harder than everyone else. Hope you get recognised.

Jesus, you can’t even talk about the weather?! Now that’s just PC bonkers gone mad.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Mine was meant to be a light-hearted comment, David.:)

Good job 'busty barmaids' weren't quite so sensitive in their workplace, back in the day!

Fair enough...…… but I have known it happen, believe it or not!

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I deliberately didn't open that thread because I knew it would upset me. There's no point in complaining because this is a male dominated board, but I didn't like it being discussed.

Funnily enough, I did open it and had quite a chuckle at some of the responses!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Strictly speaking, that may not be factually accurate........the 'colleague' was described as not a loser with women, so if he hit on every average to attractive female who joined the company, it is reasonable to assume that he was sometimes successful and so some of the time at least he may not have felt the need to be a wanker........

Totally irrelevant to this debate, I know! Pedantry - apologies!
Probably not factually correct though as (in the interests of pedantry) it's common for a bloke who is getting more sex to actually end up being even more of a w****r. More stored brain material etc. #justsaying [emoji23]

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It is all about judgement surely? We (men) all (should) know what we are doing, surely? :shrug:

so many young men and women glued to their devices these days it's no wonder they have forgotten how to communicate , if they ever learned in the first place , take BrickTamland for instance .....completely unable to appreciate what a male in his 50's may have deduced from a lifetime of travel and experience but quite willing and able to dismiss it as garbage , in summation then , it is usually quite obvious from minimal conversation if a bird is up for a bit of banter/ flirting or if she's the easily offended type , i would agree that workplace banter is inappropriate and anything more than an appreciative whistle or phwooaaarr from building site oiks may make a passing female feel uncomfortable .......i also know of at least 4 men who have been forced to quit from extremely well paid jobs in the mining industry because of sexual harassment claims by younger , upwardly mobile women who were quite happy to play along until they got what they wanted.......that's the garbage...!!! oh and statistically i think you may find that as a cause of death among 40-55 year old men in general suicide ranks quite highly.....but don't worry , listen to a song and all will be well. All the best , never any offence meant :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
so many young men and women glued to their devices these days it's no wonder they have forgotten how to communicate , if they ever learned in the first place , take BrickTamland for instance .....completely unable to appreciate what a male in his 50's may have deduced from a lifetime of travel and experience but quite willing and able to dismiss it as garbage , in summation then , it is usually quite obvious from minimal conversation if a bird is up for a bit of banter/ flirting or if she's the easily offended type , i would agree that workplace banter is inappropriate and anything more than an appreciative whistle or phwooaaarr from building site oiks may make a passing female feel uncomfortable .......i also know of at least 4 men who have been forced to quit from extremely well paid jobs in the mining industry because of sexual harassment claims by younger , upwardly mobile women who were quite happy to play along until they got what they wanted.......that's the garbage...!!! oh and statistically i think you may find that as a cause of death among 40-55 year old men in general suicide ranks quite highly.....but don't worry , listen to a song and all will be well. All the best , never any offence meant :thumbsup:

No offence taken by me....

I suppose it is very easy for me. I am not remotely interested in playing away so I am not ever going to be in a position where any lines, real or imaginary, might be crossed. For others who are open to the possibility, or single, they are then engaging with the game. And as you say, some minimal conversation will then be evaluated. And if you are 40-55 and not settled, it is likely to be quite important, a source of stress and depression. All the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here