Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
In The Grauniad Weekend magazine was this article about the Tooting Track 24 hour Sri Chinmoy Self-Transcendence Race. I believe the Scarlet Pimpernel was planning to self-transcend there this summer. Are you doing it [MENTION=30744]Pembury[/MENTION]?
Great how Sri Chinmoy's mind altering race, that has been run every year for 30 years, meets up with today's Ultra runners.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jan/07/ultra-running-south-london-24-hour-race

I want to.. But i doubt ill qualify, we'll see. Depending on my main one this year it maybe something for next year. I want to get another track run in later in the year.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The thing about Hokas is they look a bit like "special shoes" don't they? For that reason, I've given them the swerve despite the resounding positivity I hear about them from everywhere.

In other news: my legs are still ****ed. I need to stop running. Unfortunately I love running.

No-one gives a **** what they look like when you're running though, and loads of people are wearing them now.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Unfortunately mine aren't just tired it's worse than that.

Ah, sorry to hear that. Hope they get un****ed soon.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
As one of the walking wounded right now (hamstrings - not tragic but annoying) it would be interesting to get an update/audit on who is crocked right now and who is anywhere near top form. My impression is that half the class is unfit for their games lesson.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As one of the walking wounded right now (hamstrings - not tragic but annoying) it would be interesting to get an update/audit on who is crocked right now and who is anywhere near top form. My impression is that half the class is unfit for their games lesson.

Well Sir with all due respect surely the only runner near top form would be that b****** in New Zealand who would be in the middle of summer and is probably in top form all the time any way. The rest of us should be aiming to peak in mid February onwards.

Good question though. I'm afraid I'll have to give games a miss and get on the bike today. Achilles slightly playing up. Jesus booked for Saturday morning. I'm definitely ahead of where I planned to be a month ago.

Good luck with that hamstring.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
The thing about Hokas is they look a bit like "special shoes" don't they? For that reason, I've given them the swerve despite the resounding positivity I hear about them from everywhere.

nah they will be a terrace favourite in years to come.

forget your Adidas Hamburgs...HOKA Cliftons pwoper nawty

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Exactly what I did over Xmas and am also amazed at how much pace I've lost and how my knee is only just about "ok". You have my sympathy and empathy!

I'm almost regretting my run yesterday now - it clearly shifted something internally as I subsequently got stomach ache and a streaming cold!

:D

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm almost regretting my run yesterday now - it clearly shifted something internally as I subsequently got stomach ache and a streaming cold!

:D

Argh, what is it with NSC runners and ailments at the moment! Do you (or anyone else here) use Actimel or similar "good bacteria" drinks? There was some research I heard this time last year that they can help prevent colds and runner's trots in distance runners. I have Actimel every morning and have had one cold since I started on it, and that's when I couldn't run and was refuelling with jink food and wine.

I managed 5.5 miles this morning with an aerobic midsection. My aerobic pace is down 30 seconds a mile on this time last year but the knee pain seems to have completely disappeared for now.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow

Have had a horrendous flu virus since NYE and signed off work until coming Monday.

Have twice thought about putting the running shoes on to try and blast through it but the knowing look of I told you so if I do and come back worse from it from the Mrs isn't worth it.

Biding my time to get back out there, maybe this weekend if I keep getting better at current rate.

Am wondering how much of a set back proper flu is for running stamina etc. I'm no Seb Coe anyway but would like to think I had a good base fitness but expecting to feel shagged after half a mile.

Anyone else had similar this winter?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I managed 5.5 miles this morning with an aerobic midsection. My aerobic pace is down 30 seconds a mile on this time last year but the knee pain seems to have completely disappeared for now.

That is good news. My knee was seriously worrying me for a few weeks after the Hogs Back Road Race, but it's not troubling me at all after yesterday's run so I think I can finally start easing back into regular running.

... why does mention of an "aerobic midsection" suddenly start my stomach rumbling again..!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

I would say based on today that I'm about 75% which is a massive improvement on September and October when I could barely walk.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

In other news: my legs are still ****ed. I need to stop running. Unfortunately I love running.

They're hideous, I agree, but having had a pair for a couple of months, they're so comfortable to run in and if nothing else they are helping me get back into longer distances and reducing my anxiety about a recurrence of the stress fracture I got from over-training last winter. My current plan is to run in the Hoka Cliftons for everything over 10km, and alternate them with my Karhu shoes for shorter runs - I find that the fulcrum structure of the Karhu soles really helps me in my ongoing attempt to shift my running style away from a heavy heel strike into something lighter and more mid/front-foot in style (http://karhu.com/laufschuhe/mens/run/running-shoes.html) - not many places sell them in UK, so I usually order them direct from the Finnish manufacturers when there's a sale on.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Argh, what is it with NSC runners and ailments at the moment! Do you (or anyone else here) use Actimel or similar "good bacteria" drinks? There was some research I heard this time last year that they can help prevent colds and runner's trots in distance runners. I have Actimel every morning and have had one cold since I started on it, and that's when I couldn't run and was refuelling with jink food and wine.

Hmm. Actimel and Danone.My diet is bordering upon weird and I am currently eating my daily bowl of ground linseeds, chia seeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, large dollop coconut fat, oats, cinnamon and raisins. I have been working on good bacteria and have had apple cider vinegar with the mother for a number of years. The mother is a bacterial growth that grows and grows after the cider starts to turn to acetic acid. This vinegar is alkaline for the stomach and gives loads of beneficial bacteria from the mother to the gut.

This autumn I picked up all the rotting apple windfalls from the allotment, put them in a bucket next to the boiler, made cider, didn't drink it!, left it to turn to vinegar and watched the mother grow. it's an interesting spidery thing with the consistency of sperm or snot. I have been drinking two glasses of this a day for a month. Now that really is bacteria and very appley for a vinegar. I can bring you some round if you like.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Blew the cobwebs away with 4 pretty easy miles with a blast up Woodland Drive towards the end. My body and brain seem to much prefer running with a bit of weather about.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Hmm. Actimel and Danone.My diet is bordering upon weird and I am currently eating my daily bowl of ground linseeds, chia seeds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, large dollop coconut fat, oats, cinnamon and raisins. I have been working on good bacteria and have had apple cider vinegar with the mother for a number of years. The mother is a bacterial growth that grows and grows after the cider starts to turn to acetic acid. This vinegar is alkaline for the stomach and gives loads of beneficial bacteria from the mother to the gut.

This autumn I picked up all the rotting apple windfalls from the allotment, put them in a bucket next to the boiler, made cider, didn't drink it!, left it to turn to vinegar and watched the mother grow. it's an interesting spidery thing with the consistency of sperm or snot. I have been drinking two glasses of this a day for a month. Now that really is bacteria and very appley for a vinegar. I can bring you some round if you like.

Very kind but you're alright. I like actimel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Have had a horrendous flu virus since NYE and signed off work until coming Monday.

Have twice thought about putting the running shoes on to try and blast through it but the knowing look of I told you so if I do and come back worse from it from the Mrs isn't worth it.

Biding my time to get back out there, maybe this weekend if I keep getting better at current rate.

Am wondering how much of a set back proper flu is for running stamina etc. I'm no Seb Coe anyway but would like to think I had a good base fitness but expecting to feel shagged after half a mile.

Anyone else had similar this winter?

I'm on day six of annual man flu. Its not anything like what you have as managed to keep working but full of snot and zero energy levels have stopped all running.

I don't think 2 or 3 weeks out will do you any great harm. Real flu can take weeks to fully recover from so the key will be to take it very easy initially. Id be tempted to treat it the same way as coming back from an injury.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Without wishing to tempt fate, I'm feeling alright at the moment, apart from a little twinge in my knee that comes and goes. Got the day's run out of the way early – only 2.8 miles, but saving a bit for a longer one tomorrow and then a hangover run (probably) in London on Thursday morning.

Hope all you runners do get back to full fitness in time for Brighton, or whatever other races/events you've got planned. There seems to be far too many injuries around these parts at the moment...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here