Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The WC - I think I prefer it like this

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Have not invested in this world cup at all.

I would like get behind the team but I haven't recovered from South Africa yet. :shootself

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
The WC is just 3 days away and there are no England flags on cars, expectations are about realistic, the public has turned on The Sun after they tried to make something out of a tattoo, and the England players themselves aren't doing anything controversial. Furthermore, that nice Sussex fella is threatening to make the England team play better than he sum of it's parts. I'm even becoming convinced that concerns surrounding England fans being targeted by Russian (and other) hoolies (or indeed the other way round) are actually going to prove to be overplayed.

All in all, this WC might surprise us in a good way. I know the Russians bribed enough people to have it awarded to them, BUT at least Russia is a proper football nation. The irony is that this is the worst Russia/Soviet team in living memory. By contrast, I'm almost dreading Qatar.

I much prefer to start these things understated, then build as we go through.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The WC is just 3 days away and there are no England flags on cars, expectations are about realistic, the public has turned on The Sun after they tried to make something out of a tattoo, and the England players themselves aren't doing anything controversial. Furthermore, that nice Sussex fella is threatening to make the England team play better than he sum of it's parts. I'm even becoming convinced that concerns surrounding England fans being targeted by Russian (and other) hoolies (or indeed the other way round) are actually going to prove to be overplayed.

All in all, this WC might surprise us in a good way. I know the Russians bribed enough people to have it awarded to them, BUT at least Russia is a proper football nation. The irony is that this is the worst Russia/Soviet team in living memory. By contrast, I'm almost dreading Qatar.

As always I agree with you, btw who’s is the Sussex fellow you talk of?

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
I have never been so uninterested about the World Cup, yes England tend to be rubbish but we are used to that, Southgate is a decent manager and they could surprise a few people this time.

My issue is with Fifa they have done everything they can to ruin the competition, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia get to at least the Quarter Finals with a little help along the way.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I would be pleased to see, if someone had the time to find/create, the totals of goals scored at each world cup, since we won it back in '66. [excluding extra time and penalty shoot-outs]
I suspect its a diminishing number, with more teams playing cagey and being extra defensive - leading to fewer goals and less excitement.
I predict there will be loads of 0-0 and 1-0 and some folk calling it as boring as F1 [in their opinion obviously]

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I have never been so uninterested about the World Cup, yes England tend to be rubbish but we are used to that, Southgate is a decent manager and they could surprise a few people this time.

My issue is with Fifa they have done everything they can to ruin the competition, I wouldn't be surprised if Russia get to at least the Quarter Finals with a little help along the way.

I would be, they are literally terrible.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
You just know we'll get knocked out by Germany again, what a pisser! Then they'll just paper over the cracks.

If England can bowel us over with their movement of the ball, they may have those watching in the pubs on the edge of their stools.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't think so.
But I like what he is trying to do with the side
Hopefully he'll turn out (in the coming weeks) to be a fantastic manager with impressive tactical nous. But if he does turn out to be an inspired choice, it will be more by luck than judgement. Quite why our shit FA don't employ a manager with a good record at the top level is beyond me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Success with England U21s including winning a tournament.
Better than nothing, but it's not the same as senior level football.

What did the U21s win by the way? When he managed us at the UEFA U21 championship in 2015, we finished last in our group.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Didn't Southgate get Middlesbrough relegated? A fantastic achievement for the good of football.
Yes, and then sacked when failing at Championship level I think.

To be fair, he did get Middlesbrough to the Europa final (or whatever it's called). But I like to hope for more from the manager of England.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Yes, and then sacked when failing at Championship level I think.

Sacked when they were fourth only one point off the top.

To be fair, he did get Middlesbrough to the Europa final (or whatever it's called). But I like to hope for more from the manager of England.

That was the other shit ex Boro and England manager McClaren.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sacked when they were fourth only one point off the top.
Are you saying he was sacked because they were succeeding? Perhaps 4th wasn't good enough for the team they had?

That was the other shit ex Boro and England manager McClaren.
For some reason I thought they both did it. So he's worse than I thought he was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here