Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Middlesbrough U23 v Brighton U23 Tonight 19.00 K.O

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Pleasure - do you want the teamsheet? It's not very exciting....

Boro had the good grace to tweet a copy so you can stand down.

By the way, was the other Albion fan your travelling companion or have you now discovered a fellow Albionite in your neck of the woods?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Great report, always enjoy reading about the progress of our younger teams. Many thanks

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Moore - Is he a centre back? He is a bit small. Did ok though

Mandroiu - Didn't play for long but he looked good. Has good touch.

I forgot to answer this earlier - Moore (who has an older brother, Lewis, who is a goalkeeper at Dagenham & Redbridge) spent about 8 years in the academy at Arsenal and was capped at England U-16 level but was released by the Gunners as an U-16; after a trial game for the U-18s he joined Albion to commence his scholarship in the summer of 2015. In his first year, and half of his second, he played almost exclusively at right-back; it was only the second-half of last season (in the youth team) and since about October this season (in the U-23s) that he has been utilised at centre-back.

Danny Mandroiu has been out injured since early October (with a knee injury I think). I was really impressed with him during last season's FA Youth Cup run; all 3 of the matches were broadcast and I thought in the 2-0 win over Derby County in the 3rd round in particular, he ran the game. He has goals in him and I really hope he pushes on and starts to impress himself on games at U-23 level.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Reet then, just back from the game.

Firstly, I have seen far worse standard first team games than that! Overall, this was a very impressive performance against a supposedly good side. Other than the first 8 minutes, we controlled the game and Middlesbrough rarely threatened.

We scored with our first chance, a fantastic cross from the right from Sanders over the defence was knocked back by Bjordal for Gyokeres to slot it into the corner past the keeper. Easy Peasy. The 2 Brighton fans in the crowd and the subs all cheered. Boro tried hard to get back into the game, but other than a few jinky runs from their number 11, didn't do much. Anything that came the defences way was mopped up by Tom Dallison and Ben Barclay.

We scored from our second chance - another through ball from Sanders was chased down by Gyokeres who was actually fouled on the edge of the box, but the ball ran loose, the ref played on Bjordal slotted home past the keeper. The 2 Brighton fans and the subs cheered a bit louder this time. Everyone was expecting the ref to give the foul, so well done him for not doing so.

Boro huffed and puffed bu again created nothing. Connolly had a good shot saved just before half time. After the break, more of the same. Brighton in control. The 3rd goal came from a corner, yes I will say that again - WE SCORED FROM A CORNER! Ball floated over to the far post, the Goalie did a Petr Cech and tried to reach it, failed miserably and Barclay just nodded it in to the empty net. Scenes on the terracing as a outbreak of moaning from the locals drowned out the rapturous celebrations of massed blue and white army.

Not much happened after that really - the red card was a nasty challenge and deserved, although Boro didn't think so. Mandroui came on second half for 15 minutes, Owen Moore came on for Barclay and Davies came on for Gyokeres.

Onto the players:

Sanchez - not a lot to do, but was solid when called upon. Has a big gob on him which is always a good thing for a keeper.
Mateju - Very good. Linked up well with Tilley and the midfield, has a good cross on him and did well against quite a tricky winger in Coulson.
Cox - Also very good. Talks a lot, has great anticipation and also has a very good cross on him.
Barclay - Struggled a bit a first but got into the game more as it went on.
Dallison - Another good player. Made a couple of mistakes but quickly rectified them. Very good in the air and didn't really give their attack a sniff.
Sanders - Excellent player. Ran the show. Always seems to have space, looks for the forward pass but not afraid to keep things simple either.
Alzate - Another very good player. Quietly efficient
Tilley - Bit disappointing. Tried a few things that didn't come off. Not his night.
Bjordal - Very good. He is quite a unit, is quick, helps defend well, has a great first touch and took his goal very well. He is not another Jose sadly, but he has some talent.
Connolly - Quiet start but got better. Quick, annoys the defenders, good movement. Struggles to hold the ball up sometimes but he is not the biggest.
Gyokeres - This guy is good. Very good. Holds the ball up, has good feet, draws fouls when required, finishes well. He is a young Glenn Murray. If he can learn all the tricks from the master himself, he could do very well. Looked knackered when he came off though.

Moore - Is he a centre back? He is a bit small. Did ok though
Davies - Came close towards the end from the long range shot. Looked alright
Mandroiu - Didn't play for long but he looked good. Has good touch.

I was impressed. They looked very solid, some excellent passing and interplay and were rarely troubled. Standout players for me were Big Victor, Sanders, Bjordal, Dallison and Cox. The best £3 I have spent in ages. Attendance: 170

Great report thank you. For a moment there I thought we had a player called Struggles.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Boro had the good grace to tweet a copy so you can stand down.

By the way, was the other Albion fan your travelling companion or have you now discovered a fellow Albionite in your neck of the woods?

It was my youngest son. There was also a little lad there getting autographs at the end - turns out he is from Middlesbrough but follows Brighton as his PL team, which is brave of him! He was kitted out in Boro gear, so it was almost a "can I have your shirt please ............." situation!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Thanks for the report. Do you think any of this team might make it to the first team one day? Chances out of 10 maybe?

Very difficult to say. I would say that 5 or 6 of them could have a chance and may not look out of place, but it really is about being in the right place at the right time (see Lewis Dunk). Dallison, Cox, Big Victor, Sanders and maybe Mateju could do a job in the cup based on last nights evidence. Connolly could too and has already played in the cup I think. It would be easier to judge if some of the first team squad had played too, but none of them looked exceptional against that opposition, although Big Victor and Sanders were the most impressive.

Cox looked better than Chickson (remember him?!) and Victor looked better than most loan strikers we have ever had, but then the opposition was of a lower standard.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here