Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Walking routes in the Hastings area

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I am in the market for route suggestions for a walk into the countryside around Hastings, ideally a loop with a pub or two along the way. Don't mind whether it's along the coast or inland.

Anyone got any ideas?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Queens Head at Icklesham. I expect there are walks from there but if it were me I would just enjoy the beer, food and view - assuming as still remains as good as it was having not been there for several years :(

...But if you really must https://www.walkandcycle.co.uk/sussex/Trails/00-49/SUSSTR0018_leaflet.pdf

You can walk down to the valley and follow the line left or right from there on the footpath and bump in to pubs. However at this time of year on a frosty day there is nothing better than staying at the queen's head

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I regularly walk from Battle to Icklesham, via Westfield finishing up at the Queens Head. Approx 12 miles. I think it's part of the 1066 way. Bus stop right outside the Queens Head on the main road, bus takes you back to Hastings for £4.

You could also get the train to Rye and walk back past Camber Castle, Winchelsea Beach and over Fairlight finishing in Hastings Old Town, with loads of decent pubs to choose from, approx 12.5 miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I regularly walk from Battle to Icklesham, via Westfield finishing up at the Queens Head. Approx 12 miles. I think it's part of the 1066 way. Bus stop right outside the Queens Head on the main road, bus takes you back to Hastings for £4.

How many pubs you walking past? Can think of two in Westfield, and three oaks if going through there followed by a couple in icklesham, am I missing any other than those in battle

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
How many pubs you walking past? Can think of two in Westfield, and three oaks if going through there followed by a couple in icklesham, am I missing any other than those in battle

That's about it but the route doesn't take in Three Oaks, I tend to crack on and save beers and food for the Queens Head Icklesham. Westfield is well served with a couple of decent pubs though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As others have said, that Queens Head one is nice.

By train - From Winchelsea Station head up to Winchelsea via Ferry Hill, along Monk's Walk and across the fields up to Hogs Hill. Over Hogs Hill by the windmill and down into Icklesham and onto the Queens Head. After your pint, or two, head out the back of the car park, over the stile and down the hill straight ahead until you come to the railway line. Over the railway line, turn right and then immediately back over the railway line just a tad further up. Now follow the 1066 walk signs back to the station or up the hill into Winchelsea, via the Beacon and into Winchelsea for another pint in the New Inn. Have a look for Spike Milligan's grave in the churchyard opposite, if that takes your fancy, before heading back down Ferry Hill to the station.

Alternatively, by car - park in Monk's Walk and head off from there as directed above. Only a shandy or designated driver required for this option though :thumbsup:

The route is signposted as part of the the 1066 route.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You could also get the train to Rye and walk back past Camber Castle, Winchelsea Beach and over Fairlight finishing in Hastings Old Town, with loads of decent pubs to choose from, approx 12.5 miles.

I used to cycle as a kid from Bexhill to Fairlight to see grandparents, stopped off at the Bulverhythe for a swift shandy.
Those were the days, Firehills always good for a BBQ in the summer, just avoid that dodgy beach with all that elderly tackle :facepalm:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hastings Old Town heading west along the cycle/walk path along the coast to Bexhill and carry on to Cooden Beach, with a pint at The Cooden Beach Hotel outside and then the train back from Cooden Beach station which is right by is a good one, particularly on a day like today. Or vice versa and walk east from Cooden Beach station.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Camber castle is a nice walk too, starting from Harbour Road, round to the castle and back along the River.

For a longer proper Hastings walk, check the tide times and do a Fairlight beach loop.

Start at Hastings station and walk through the Old Town until you reach The Dolphin pub. Nice pint in there :). Go up the steps onto Tackleway, up onto The East Hill and keep walking along the cliff edge. You go out along Ecclesbourne Glen and eventually up onto the Firehills and the coastguard station. Turn around and see if you can find your way down onto the nudist beach. Make sure you hit it when the tide is right out, then you can walk back along the beach right to Rock-a-Nore. BEWARE GETTING THE TIDE TIME WRONG - YOU REALLY CAN GET CUT OFF DOWN THERE!. Once you reach Rock-a-Nore you're back in the Old Town and any number of pubs to choose from before heading back into town for the station.

Just reverse the walk to suit the tide times if need be.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
As others have said, that Queens Head one is nice.

By train - From Winchelsea Station head up to Winchelsea via Ferry Hill, along Monk's Walk and across the fields up to Hogs Hill. Over Hogs Hill by the windmill and down into Icklesham and onto the Queens Head. After your pint, or two, head out the back of the car park, over the stile and down the hill straight ahead until you come to the railway line. Over the railway line, turn right and then immediately back over the railway line just a tad further up. Now follow the 1066 walk signs back to the station or up the hill into Winchelsea, via the Beacon and into Winchelsea for another pint in the New Inn. Have a look for Spike Milligan's grave in the churchyard opposite, if that takes your fancy, before heading back down Ferry Hill to the station.

Alternatively, by car - park in Monk's Walk and head off from there as directed above. Only a shandy or designated driver required for this option though :thumbsup:

The route is signposted as part of the the 1066 route.

https://www.visit1066country.com/things-to-do/activities/walking

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I used to cycle as a kid from Bexhill to Fairlight to see grandparents, stopped off at the Bulverhythe for a swift shandy.
Those were the days, Firehills always good for a BBQ in the summer, just avoid that dodgy beach with all that elderly tackle :facepalm:

Alas The Bulverhythe is no more, and hasn't been for sometime. Like a lot of them, it's a shop now.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you just want woodland walks where you drive to and park up then here's a few I can recommend:

Brede High Woods (between Cripps Corner and Broad Oak)

Guestling Wood (Watermill Lane, Pett village)

St.Helen's Woods ( St.Helen's Park Road, Hastings)

Battle Great Wood (Marley lane, Battle)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
If you just want woodland walks where you drive to and park up then here's a few I can recommend:

Brede High Woods (between Cripps Corner and Broad Oak)

Guestling Wood (Watermill Lane, Pett village)

St.Helen's Woods ( St.Helen's Park Road, Hastings)

Battle Great Wood (Marley lane, Battle)

Did a lovely walk from Guestling Wood, up to Fairlight and back to Two Sawyers at Pett, and onto Guestling.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Thanks all. I reckon some of those walks around the Queen's Head could be just the ticket.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here