Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Terror Attack New York

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
I must admit I haven't read hardly anything about this case - it's just the same upsetting crap isn't it. I'm just saying everyone should start looking at ways to stop these cowardly acts as this seems the latest terrorist craze - the hiring bit.

Bruno would have trouble hiring a vehicle.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No it wasn't. There are plenty of pictures of it on every news source.

It was from Home Depot (B&Q)

Sorry Sheebo - nothing wrong with trying to think of solutions, but this is an utterly ridiculous suggestion. Who exactly are you including in your profile of people who should be banned from hiring vehicles? Everyone with a tan and a beard? So no law abiding middle-eastern / Asian / north African / just a bit tanned guy with a beard is allowed to hire a vehicle for their business / to move house / get some fence panels home from B&Q (though presumably the real terrorist still can so long as he has a shave first).

What about all the Somali / Nigerian muslim potential terrorists? Better include all black men in your hiring ban too.

Hang on - what about Chechnya, Uzbekistan, Serbia, etc. Plenty of muslims there who don't look like your first examples.

Best just ban hire vans, full stop.

Are you suggesting B&Q don't employ moslems?The terrorist already had a police record,which would have been easy to check if some bleeting 'Uman Rights activist didn't block it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's time to stop a certain type of person (looks wise) hiring these big vehicles. Don't care if it's a pain for the huge majority of innocent men who look like that. Had enough now.

If you were in New York area and that fella came to hire a massive truck are you saying you wouldn't have alarm bells hiring it to him?

I'm sure someone will flame me for this but it's time to act & if it's discriminating to nice normal people but saves lives of innocent people it's worth it. If all these terrorists looked like me I'd happily expect and want to be searched a lot more as I border a plane etc...

So what you're trying to say is stop a guy with a long beard from hiring a truck in a country where pretty much anyone can walk into a supermarket and buy an automatic weapon, that has 15,000 people per year killed by guns. Doesn't matter that some deranged person guns down 58 dead and 500 odd injured and wounded in Las Vegas, they don't need to change laws for that, just stop Muslim looking men hiring trucks.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
So what you're trying to say is stop a guy with a long beard from hiring a truck in a country where pretty much anyone can walk into a supermarket and buy an automatic weapon

It's true that pretty much anyone can walk into a supermarket but they won't be able to buy an automatic weapon there. In fact, they'll be hard pushed to be able to buy an automatic weapon in any shop in the States.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It's true that pretty much anyone can walk into a supermarket but they won't be able to buy an automatic weapon there. In fact, they'll be hard pushed to be able to buy an automatic weapon in any shop in the States.

Are you getting pedantic on whether I meant fully automatic or semi automatic, both of which are still automatic weapons?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
A suspect is in custody Tuesday after mowing down pedestrians “in an act of terror” in lower Manhattan, killing eight, according to New York Mayor Bill de Blasio

Witnesses, according to Fox News, saw the suspect shout “Allahu Akbar” upon exiting his car after driving the wrong way on a busy bike lane near West and Chambers Street. After striking several people, the individual left his vehicle and was shot by police.

It was unclear initially whether the suspect used a gun, a truck, or both.

The New York Police Department reports it has one suspect in custody.

no ,no ,no .....he said " i need a milk bar" ...and then self combusted.........it was a freak accident , could have happened anywhere.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
We spent longer killing catholics in Ulster(to put it very crudley in leftist terms.), I dont see Catholics out for a pound of flesh

Quislings are out in force on here I see.

probably one of the better thought out , more eloquently put statements on this particular subject old chap.....yes we were a bunch of dastardly rats , yes we rode rough shod over the indiginy of numerous countries both far and wide...............some of them a lot ****ing closer than a lot of people chose to remember , the arabs , however would have wiped each other out by now if we had just left them to it.....if they weren't sitting on all the oil we would have let them sort each other out a long time ago......

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Are you getting pedantic on whether I meant fully automatic or semi automatic, both of which are still automatic weapons?

When it comes to what is and isn't an automatic weapon it isn't pedantry. Automatic= hold a trigger and the gun fires until empty, semi-automatic = one pull gets you one bullet. It's one of the few things that is quite clear with American gun laws.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bruno would have trouble hiring a vehicle.

I don't think the terrorists look like Bruno much - there's a key thing you're missing...

So what you're trying to say is stop a guy with a long beard from hiring a truck in a country where pretty much anyone can walk into a supermarket and buy an automatic weapon, that has 15,000 people per year killed by guns. Doesn't matter that some deranged person guns down 58 dead and 500 odd injured and wounded in Las Vegas, they don't need to change laws for that, just stop Muslim looking men hiring trucks.

Wow - what a silly post to completely put words in my mouth! Yeh I'm not bothered about the Vegas attack as it's not terrorist related - pathetic assumption.

No, I didn't say any of that but twist it as much as you want. You're a beard racist - nobody has mentioned beards except you :wave:

Yes I'm saying stop ways of known potential terrorists hiring anything with a motor and while I'm here if you want my opinion I'd ban all guns from the whole universe too with the exception of 1 per highly highly ranked police officer - the rest all destroyed - you like my world and you see the common theme here - is saving lives?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I don't think the terrorists look like Bruno much

Bruno would be allowed to hire a vehicle if needed, agreed.

Not Beram Kayal though. Probably not Connor Goldson, either. And definitely not Soffyan Ahannach. He'll definitely need a lift to training.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bruno would be allowed to hire a vehicle if needed, agreed.

Not Beram Kayal though. Probably not Connor Goldson, either. And definitely not Soffyan Ahannach. He'll definitely need a lift to training.

Did you not see my earlier post admitting that my original statement was a bit far fetched but anyone known to authorities as a potential risk...?

But yes, if I looked like Ahannach I'd expect people to be extra vigilant with me, and I'd actually not moan about it as you can't take risks. Is that really a problem? The terrorists all seem to have a certain look - not that of the 2 other players you mentioned - not like I went into detail in my original post.

It's a shame some people are so pro human rights to the point they are happy to not try and do all they can to stop future murders of our innocent civilians.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Did you not see my earlier post admitting that my original statement was a bit far fetched but anyone known to authorities as a potential risk...?

But yes, if I looked like Ahannach I'd expect people to be extra vigilant with me, and I'd actually not moan about it as you can't take risks. Is that really a problem? The terrorists all seem to have a certain look - not that of the 2 other players you mentioned - not like I went into detail in my original post.

It's a shame some people aren't so pro human rights to the point they are happy to let murders go on it seems.

I did, and I'm just poking fun at you. Fair play to you for admitting you were wrong and actually changing your stand-point - something quite rare on NSC.

Jiri Skalak can get the bus, too - he looks like a deranged terrorist from some former Soviet Balkan state.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I wouldn't say it's a religion they just want to observe.

Important to define 'they'. I know many Muslims who understand their faith in the modern context as much as Christians do. They are as despairing of Muslim fundamentalism as Christians are of creationists in the Bible belt.

The ones killing themselves do.

The ones killing themselves believe in a version of religion that they have created. Rather like conspiracy theorists are able to look at the evidence of an event and conveniently only see what they want to see.

I think some frank debates about the religion itself are needed.

Agree. I'm pretty agnostic, but I'll defend the right of people to peacefully observe their religion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think it's time to stop a certain type of person (looks wise) hiring these big vehicles.

Wow - what a silly post to completely put words in my mouth! Yeh I'm not bothered about the Vegas attack as it's not terrorist related - pathetic assumption.

No, I didn't say any of that but twist it as much as you want. You're a beard racist - nobody has mentioned beards except you :wave:

Yes I'm saying stop ways of known potential terrorists hiring anything with a motor and while I'm here if you want my opinion I'd ban all guns from the whole universe too with the exception of 1 per highly highly ranked police officer - the rest all destroyed - you like my world and you see the common theme here - is saving lives?

Sheebo, you stated the above, what do you think most people's stereotype of an Islamic terrorist is looking like - with a beard perhaps? Blimey, what criteria were you thinking for vetting hiring a vehicle "looks wise"? Reminds me of the scene in 3 Lions when he bought or the fertiliser and covered up his beard with his hands...

I've got a beard and had equal terrorist jokes aimed at me as I've had Bruno ones!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When it comes to what is and isn't an automatic weapon it isn't pedantry. Automatic= hold a trigger and the gun fires until empty, semi-automatic = one pull gets you one bullet. It's one of the few things that is quite clear with American gun laws.

Instead of just replying 'semi-automatic' to my original post. Which would have been simpler, but not made you feel as clever I guess.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sheebo, you stated the above, what do you think most people's stereotype of an Islamic terrorist is looking like - with a beard perhaps? Blimey, what criteria were you thinking for vetting hiring a vehicle "looks wise"? Reminds me of the scene in 3 Lions when he bought or the fertiliser and covered up his beard with his hands...

I've got a beard and had equal terrorist jokes aimed at me as I've had Bruno ones!

I did admit my point was perhaps OTT but I get so angry with this shit & just think it's time to make a stand and not pussy fit around it. All the terrorists look similar (to me) I'm not gonna lie. Nobody who has any question marks over them should be allowed to hire a vehicle like this fella seemed to. And yes, guns etc is just ****ed up. I didn't state anything about other attacks like Vegas - this thread is on yet another extremist attack on innocent people. Your post wasn't fair at all!

I think terrorist jokes to men who grow beirds are perfectly acceptable - our humour will see us through as a nation :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Important to define 'they'. I know many Muslims who understand their faith in the modern context as much as Christians do.
Really? So they believe we evolved from primates, not that god created man? The Muslims I know are also despairing of the terrorists, but they do believe the Quran is the actual word of god, they are nothing like your average Christian.

The ones killing themselves believe in a version of religion that they have created.
Sadly I don't think that's correct. The Quran does say it's ok to kill non believers, it's not a sin. That's not the same as the bible, which says killing is wrong.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Instead of just replying 'semi-automatic' to my original post. Which would have been simpler, but not made you feel as clever I guess.

On the contrary. I took 'automatic' to mean just that in its normal definition. I wasn't trying to split hairs by claiming that technically semi-automatics are automatics. Tell you what, why don't you google any American website to see what they define as 'automatic' and then come back and try to argue that it's me being pedantic? Good luck with that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I did admit my point was perhaps OTT but I get so angry with this shit & just think it's time to make a stand and not pussy fit around it. All the terrorists look similar (to me) I'm not gonna lie. Nobody who has any question marks over them should be allowed to hire a vehicle like this fella seemed to. And yes, guns etc is just ****ed up. I didn't state anything about other attacks like Vegas - this thread is on yet another extremist attack on innocent people. Your post wasn't fair at all!

It wasn't intended to be aimed at what you thought, just the proportionality of the danger to lives that laws are designed to protect. You would have to presume that should hiring a vehicle not been possible, this person would have stolen one, or bought some 2nd hand one or something? Where would you extend the remit of preventing potential terrorism from a vehicle if someone was determined to get one? It would then extend to whether they are allowed on tubes, in public places. Pretty much starts being the totalitarian approach we're fighting against.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here