Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Lewes bonfire parking etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To discourage people from attending. it's seems the police and council are trying to strangle the event with increased red tape

I'm will be there with one of the visiting societies, South Heighton This year we have to leave even earlier and will be dropped even further away from the town and won't be able to leave until even later.

With over 10K visitors, the town can't cope. That's why they're trying to discourage people from going.
I believe you can't park in Lewes at all without a permit on 5th, no matter what time the roads close.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
No, we are talking about my Wife. Getting from Brighton to Uckfield via Polegate is going to be the only way otherwise she'll end up driving around all the country lanes and getting lost.
But I notice that the buses are still running (28 & 29) although not stopping so may be the tunnel will be open, just Police keeping the traffic moving.

Its simple, A27 Brigton to Polegate - one road no turn off, turn left at Polegate and head up the A22 to Uckfield. one road no turn offs, it'll take 20 minutes longer

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
With over 10K visitors, the town can't cope. That's why they're trying to discourage people from going.
I believe you can't park in Lewes at all without a permit on 5th, no matter what time the roads close.

Do you always swallow the line from the top? 10k visitors? 30 years ago it was 50k, before that more, and 'they' can't cope, really? Glad I was born before all the fun was made inconvenient/illegal.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Do you always swallow the line from the top? 10k visitors? 30 years ago it was 50k, before that more, and 'they' can't cope, really? Glad I was born before all the fun was made inconvenient/illegal.

Yep, have to agree. 10 years ago there were extra, special, trains and it all went swimmingly. Yes there were arrests - bound to be at a massive event with tens of thousands of people boozing. Are they going to try to cancel Notting Hill Carnival next? Or maybe Glastonbury?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

50K is over 10K isn't it.

You've missed the point in any case. Lewes bonfire is for Lewes people. They don't want the visitors.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

You've missed the point in any case. Lewes bonfire is for Lewes people. They don't want the visitors.

Really? Try asking the local traders that, and businesses who need their staff to be able to get to and from work easily. Or is Lewes as a whole so affluent that it can afford to turn down a massive payday? It would be like Brighton asking outsiders not to turn up for the London/Brighton bike ride and Pride combined, bloody ridiculous.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
trains dont stop at Lewes from about midday onwards. nor Cooksbridge (no change there...),Glynde, Falmer, Moulsecoomb or London Rd (bizarrely).

There will be a lot of pissed off commuters/students seeing as there are 3 university campuses on that line. Ridiculous decision.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Whilst this may be true, Lewes is now packed full of DFLs and a lot of people who are from or would live in Lewes cannot afford to. Meanwhile you've got people who do live there complaining about the traditions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Whilst this may be true, Lewes is now packed full of DFLs and a lot of people who are from or would live in Lewes cannot afford to. Meanwhile you've got people who do live there complaining about the traditions.

I know. My mother, Aunty & Uncle used to belong to Commercial Square bonfire society.

Outsiders need to mind their own business.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

if you come to Lewes on the 5th you`ll miss Bonfire Night !!!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yep, have to agree. 10 years ago there were extra, special, trains and it all went swimmingly. Yes there were arrests - bound to be at a massive event with tens of thousands of people boozing. Are they going to try to cancel Notting Hill Carnival next? Or maybe Glastonbury?

I wouldn't jest if l were you ,they could just try.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Last year, we parked in a dedicated site which had been opened-up for the evening, located just off the A27 roundabout at Ashcombe Hollow. On approach from Brighton, we took the 3rd exit (as if going to Kingston) and the entrance to car park was on the left. Cost wasn't hideous, nor was it completely full from memory. No queues to leave either, but obviously you'll need to walk a reasonable distance to reach the High Street and fire sites. No idea if it's in operation this time around, but I can't imagine the owners would miss out on the opportunity to earn a few quid.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Really? Try asking the local traders that, and businesses who need their staff to be able to get to and from work easily. Or is Lewes as a whole so affluent that it can afford to turn down a massive payday? It would be like Brighton asking outsiders not to turn up for the London/Brighton bike ride and Pride combined, bloody ridiculous.

What traders? They board up on Bonfire Night. The pubs stay open, and there will still be plenty of visitors to ensure they good a good day's trading.

Lewes Bonfire Night organisers have never invited outside visitors. So no, it's nothing like asking outsiders not to turn up for Pride - they are actively invited.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here