Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Religious question?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Anyone who puts anything before their offspring's welfare should take a good long hard look at themselves and ask why did they have them in the first place.
I would lay down my life for mine.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone who puts anything before their offspring's welfare should take a good long hard look at themselves and ask why did they have them in the first place.
I would lay down my life for mine.

Playing devil's advocate here for one second: what about people whose offspring, for no obvious parental reason, turn out to be murderers, rapists and so on?

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
As often happens atheists talk more about religion than the average religious person does. Irony.
No no no, as often happens, a single atheist is managing to make the rest of us look bad, let's try to avoid grouping everyone (religious or not) together hey?

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
To be honest knowing what mankind knows about the vastness of space etc how can people belive in heaven? And as for god I do not understand how any rational human being can truly believe or see any evidence for believing, I don't label myself as an "active athiest" I just have that opinion, therefore anyone who puts anything,especially an imaginary friend, before their offspring have a serious mental problem.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
We may know that space is incredibly vast, but yet we know so little about other dimensions, life after death, or even or our own minds.

Perhaps our consciousness does not end when our bodies die - perhaps it does go to another realm akin to "heaven" instead. Who knows, I certainly don't - but I don't claim to.

The same applies to belief in God - it's impossible to know whether it exists in any of its many interpretations or not. Such things are currently impossible for us to know, and perhaps they always will be.

Whether you choose to believe in God, life after death, or neither - these things require faith. You're only definitely correct if you can concede that you just don't know the answers.

IMHO it is fairly obvious their is no god or heaven and if heaven existed (as you suggest in another plain etc) then do ALL animals (INCLUDING dinosaours etc who were all on this planet longer than we have been ) souls go there? Pretty big if they do unfair if they don't. I don't have all the answers but to just put things down to "faith" if there's no evidence seems a little childish

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What a ridiculous question!
Why?
You're brain washed from birth to know that you'll be in a better place when dead and your kids and family come 2nd to a load of made up bullshit that doesn't exist???

This is what's wrong with many religions as you should be taught that your offspring is no 1 and God is guidance only.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
No no no, as often happens, a single atheist is managing to make the rest of us look bad, let's try to avoid grouping everyone (religious or not) together hey?

But you're in a thread regarding a religious question which I would think only religious people could answer...

Its not about looking good or bad, its about wasting time talking about something you don't even believe in :lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A question for atheists.

Why is there something and not nothing?

because there is? why are you asking a question of physics to atheists? try the other way:

A question for theists. Why is there something and not nothing. to expand, where has the something come from and what is the nothing it replaces?

theres still no answer.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
This is a philosophical problem. One scientific hypothesis is that "nothingness" is physically impossible - theists or philosophers might build on that and suggest that if "something" has to exist, it would be a conscious, self-aware entity - a deity, if you like.

...but these are only ideas - you, me, priests, monks, theoretical physicists, philosophers - none of us understand the true nature of reality. None of us know whether God exists, or if it doesn't. None of us know if there is life after death, or whether the universe is a just nihilistic realm of pointlessless.

It is all speculation based on what we know, what we believe and what we have faith in.

People who claim they are certain that God doesn't exist are either lying or ignorant.

Still haven't been laid then Muzzy:yawn:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
As Religion is a made up thing to control human beings, the correct answer should be your children.

To "Control" is just your take on it. The best of religion values the individual and empowers them....... an not just around religious things, but about life in general,

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
People who claim they are certain that God doesn't exist are either lying or ignorant.

or can tell the difference between the meaning of "God", "god(s)" or deity.

its not a philosophical question in the terms asked, as it assumes that something exists, therefore its a question of physics. if the question was "what is something" that would be both a question of physics and metaphysics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here