Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Restaurant 2015

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Totally agree, had my second visit last week, and every bit as good as first time
Great seafood, I had the fish soup and the Lobster, was superb
Service was terrific
Definately not cheap but a cut above the rest in Brighton, probably nearest we have to a Michellin rated restaurant

Great special meal with good, old friends at GB1 at The Grand Hotel last night. GB1 is fish, seafood and more seafood, ranging from the modern (Lobster Burger, Scallop Sashimi) to the traditional (seafood platters, oysters with shallots, fish and chips). My friend went straight down the modern route, sashimi followed by playfully presented Lobster Burger. Both excellent apparently. I had a hot seafood platter, perfectly cooked and very, very fresh. How they found the samphire that went with it in winter I don't know, though it doesn't taste quite as good as summer samphire.

Service was excellent, informed, quick and discreet. The wine list is amazing, the only place I have seen a Gruner available in Brighton and Hove outside of Quaff.

Not cheap - not at all cheap - but excellent.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Try 'Thai Street Food, Bath Place Worthing, food superb, Lovely Thai wine as well. The service is surreal, dont go if you want a quick meal, but if you want a great night out and be entertained by the women owner, who is so friendly and we got her life story, then go, you will not be disapointed.

Doctor Crawley

Jun 5, 2012
Crawley
Bella Pasta at Crawley Leisure Park.
Not the cheapest meal in town but you get what you pay for I guess.
Fantastic food and delightful ambiance.

Jul 7, 2003
Late decision to take the family to Tosca in Shoreham on Friday evening. It was busy as usual but the service was excellent. We shared a couple of portions of their dough balls to start, the kids both had pizzas - much better than Pizza Express and cheaper - my wife had a very nice chicken dish and I had filler steak in a brandy cream and demi-glaze sauce. My wife's chicken dish was very nice although she thought that the portion of potatoes and veg was a little small compared to normal. My fillet was not the prettiest piece of meat - it was closer to the tail than the barrel - but was very tasty and cooked to perfection. With drinks the meal for four of us came in at less than £70. Always happy to recommend this place to people.

On a side note, anyone who has bookings for the Findon Steakhouse might want to check again. According to their twitter and facebook pages, the restaurant is closing this weekend. When I mentioned this to my wife, she wasn't too impressed as she had booked us a table there for a couple of weeks time and nobody had bothered to contact her to say that they were closing down.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Interesting about Toscas as always go to La Galleria, last time we went to Toscas it was awful food and the waiter stank.

In The Rough

Mar 20, 2007
Between The Sticks
Had a second good meal of the year at The Blackboys Inn, Blackboys. Decent pub food done well without hammering the wallet. 3 well kept varities of Harveys. Well worth a visit if you are up that way but worth booking on a Sunday.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Went to the Coach House Saturday Night, Never will I be going back.

The Mrs had the Lamb which was over cooked and tasteless and I had the steak, which I asked for Medium rare which came out rare, the meat tasted irony, it tasted like the smell of cheap steak meat when you open a pack. I asked for it to be cooked a little further which was fine however it still tasted vile, for £18.50 I felt completely ripped off. When asked we both told the waitress we thought the quaility of the meat was poor, nothing was done about it. Very disapointing, but you live and learn, went and washed it all down with a few cocktails in twisted lemon which made the evening worthwhile.

Think in total the bill came to £65 with a bottle of red.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Sunday lunch at Stoneham pub in Hove.

I had the beef and my wife the chicken. We arrived at opening and had a pre meal drink, the service was fast and food was edible, howver the vegtables had clearly been under a red lamp for some time and meat was very dry. The food quality I would compare to a carvery, and for (around) £14.95 each for the food, it was certianly not any value for money.

Wont be going back and would not recomend 1/5

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Had a family gathering at The White Horse in Bodle street on sunday.

I would highly recommend it if you are in the area. Everyone was more than happy with whatever they ordered. Portions were twice the size and prices half as much as many Gastropubs. Landlord would not like it classed as a Gastropub but it was tastier than many I've been to if lacking some of the finesse I really dont give a shit about eating in a pub.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was drinking craft beer and eating BBQ chicken, ribs and pulled-pork on Friday night. Yum yum.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Bella Pasta at Crawley Leisure Park.
Not the cheapest meal in town but you get what you pay for I guess.
Fantastic food and delightful ambiance.

I am sorry and I might be missing some great food, but the thought of going to a purpose built B&Q park for a nice meal just hurts my brain, easy parking though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going to La Campana in Haywards Heath this evening with wife and son, he is treating us, last time we went it was quite good so looking forward to another visit.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Going to La Campana in Haywards Heath this evening with wife and son, he is treating us, last time we went it was quite good so looking forward to another visit.

Very good yet again. The tapas dishes are large son and wife had 5 between them and I had chicken and seafood paella all well full and good quality.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
So, on [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]'s recommendation I went to Casa Don Carlos last night, and it was absolutely brilliant. We ordered 3 dishes each, and every single one was fantastic and much larger portions than I was expecting for tapas. Left completely stuffed and very satisfied. They also had Flambéd chorizo as a special, and having that done at the table was just a lot of fun.

Was very impressed by the speed as well. Probably only five minutes between ordering and the first dish coming out, and the dishes kept coming at regular intervals as they were ready. Obviously this would be annoying in a normal restaurant, but it's exactly what you want for tapas. Overall the service was good. Very attentive, helpful and quick, and offered more drinks when they noticed we'd finished. I know that last point makes them more money, but it's nice for someone to actually notice that sort of thing.

Also good value. We had two beers each and a pudding, and the bill was £30 a head including a large tip.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
So, on [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION]'s recommendation I went to Casa Don Carlos last night, and it was absolutely brilliant. We ordered 3 dishes each, and every single one was fantastic and much larger portions than I was expecting for tapas. Left completely stuffed and very satisfied. They also had Flambéd chorizo as a special, and having that done at the table was just a lot of fun.

Was very impressed by the speed as well. Probably only five minutes between ordering and the first dish coming out, and the dishes kept coming at regular intervals as they were ready. Obviously this would be annoying in a normal restaurant, but it's exactly what you want for tapas. Overall the service was good. Very attentive, helpful and quick, and offered more drinks when they noticed we'd finished. I know that last point makes them more money, but it's nice for someone to actually notice that sort of thing.

Also good value. We had two beers each and a pudding, and the bill was £30 a head including a large tip.

Brilliant, glad you enjoyed it. One of my favourite haunts but not been in a while.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Circumstances dictated that my first chance to eat out with the current Mrs Pevenseagull was Monday night, somewhere near the hospital. 24 St George's is closed on Monday's so that will have to wait (keen to read what any NSCers think of the place). We ended up in The Ginger Dog for gastropub stuff. Starters of herb gnocchi with ceps and crispy egg with artichoke and baba ganoosh ..... however it spelt. The former was spot on , the later didn't really go together for my taste. Mains we both had cod with dauphinoise spuds, crispy kale and champagne sauce. A nice dish cooked well. Overall I thought £60 was a bit strong as we didn't have booze but the staff were very nice and I'd happily go back, might be worth a try for Sunday lunch.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here